advertisement

Hi-Fi+ magazine, I’ve quit my subscription!!

I’m surprised there isn’t more diversity within the magazine marketplace. They all seem pretty formulaic these days. I’d have thought the forums would have proven beyond doubt there was an interest in technical topics, just look at our DIY room, ...

I also think the culture has changed and we are unlikely to see the equivalent of JE Sugden publishing the A21 schematic, in depth discussion of triples, current dumping etc from Peter Walker. ...

*This actually being a strong suspicion as to why so many computer tech companies are so anti-Right To Repair, i.e. they know if they were forced to publish schematics it would highlight any copied/stolen ideas.

FWIW I did ask the editor of HFN if they'd consider doing a 'book' that reprinted a number of the ancient items like the series by Radford and Jim Sugden on their amp designs, and other 'DIY'/tech info that isn't now easily available. e.g. some of the old things by Kelly and others. As both an enthusiast and an 'academic' it niggles me that informative material becomes 'unobtainium'. But he simply wasn't interested. Perhaps rightly. assuming it simply wouldn't sell enough copies to be worthwhile. However the presumption is that 'technical' loses readers. Equivalent of Hawking's publisher's motto that every equation halves the sales of a book.

They do publish some 'from the vault' reprints of old items, though. And these can be interesting. Probably more accessible for most readers than the above. No 'hard sums' or circuit diagrams.

Yes, I'm also annoyed by the way some makers/designers hide the details of what they make - sometimes symultaneously getting *patents* that obfuscate or omit key details. (HDCD being a classic example of that!) It seems crazy to me that a designer might do something like add hardened ball bearings to the potting compound of their transformers to try and stop anyone else from seeing the details of their design. Different world to the 1970s and before when designers cheerfully shared info with each other. Not a change for the better IMHO.

RG's not a bad writer, but ironically the one thing he frequently needs IMO is a good editor. I'd probably contend that his Plus reviews were generally better than the stuff on the AudioBeat, not least because a] there was a maximum article length imposed by the print format and b] it wasn't rendered borderline unintelligible by the appalling typography on the AudioBeat.

Of course I'm an old fart, but I have occasionally suspected that my favourite hifi reviewers - in recent times, Messrs Dudley and Reichert – who I'd contend are/were actually the best writers period, benefitted from their skills being initially honed for print.

Over the years I have bought too many HiFi mags. The high point was HiFi Answers in the early 1980s under Paul Benson.

Hmm. Mr Benson certainly blew away a few cobwebs (as his neighbours would surely have attested) but I think there might be a wee touch of rose-tinted filtering going on there. Looking back now, I'm not sure the Haymarket mob — and I was briefly on the periphery — did the UK market many favours if you look at the big picture. But admittedly it was never dull.

I used to buy hi-fi magazines and I still have hundreds of them, but I never did read them cover to cover tbh, so I guess I could grab any one of them from the cupboard and it would be like a fresh read! Peter Comeau was a favourite reviewer of mine at the time. The same for music mags really, I was always a flicker rather than an avid reader. I ought to renew my Wire digital subscription though, because it's content does close match my musical taste.

I like HiFi+ and read the occasional issue. I have owned a few things they have reviewed, and have generally found their reviews informative and reflect my experience with the product.

I don't understand why someone has to make a big issue out of the fact the magazine doesn't suit their tastes and feels compelled to tell everyone that they will never read it again.

On pricing, there’s certainly what Tony calls the Oligarch (OligarK?) market for flagship, over engineering with price tags to match but more disturbingly, fairly average decent hifi above the mid fi level has been pulled up in price. There’s a fairly cynical recalibration of pricing, so for example, why should a veneered mdf floorstander containing two OEM drivers now cost £5k? Shrinking sales? It’ll shrink them further by failing to draw in younger new customers.

On pricing, there’s certainly what Tony calls the Oligarch (OligarK?) market for flagship, over engineering with price tags to match but more disturbingly, fairly average decent hifi above the mid fi level has been pulled up in price. There’s a fairly cynical recalibration of pricing, so for example, why should a veneered mdf floorstander containing two OEM drivers now cost £5k? Shrinking sales? It’ll shrink them further by failing to draw in younger new customers.

I think it has a lot to do with corporate greed.

Not sure which ones you have in mind, but the Spendor A4, Rega Kyte, Amphion Argon 3LS are all excellent, use rather better than OEM drivers, and cost £2.5-3k

I listened to a pair of PMC's earlier in the week. Passive 2-way with a pretty tiny mid unit, they were £5,500! My ATC40s were about £7k but they are active & a 3-way design with better drive units. Bonkers really.

The super rich will probably not even audition the equipment, all about the custom install.

advertisement

Back