advertisement

Hi-Fi Craziness

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
What is it about this hobby that sends normally-sane and upstanding folk over the edge, to the extent they would almost pawn their nearest and dearest to gain even the slightest improvement in sound quality?

I've also witnessed some of most vitriolic abuse i've ever seen on Hi-fi forums.

Why?

What is it about this hobby that sends normally-sane and upstanding folk over the edge, to the extent they would almost pawn their nearest and dearest to gain even the slightest improvement in sound quality?

I've also witnessed some of most vitriolic abuse i've ever seen on Hi-fi forums.

Why?

Alas sir, I have no information. They have not confided in me.

No idea.

Why?

The bravery of being out of range?

I think abuse on forums isn't limited to hi-fi hobbyists. It's the same psychology at work that allows people to gesticulate at you from the confines of their own car when they cut you up. The relative lack of consequence to their actions allows some people to feel comfortable being hurtful and abusive in a way that they would never dare if this were a face-to-face forum. The 'block' button is your friend lol.
Upgradeitits is much more difficult to explain... I count myself fortunate that I don't have enough money to throw at everything I become obsessed with wanting/NEEDING!
I've just seen Steve Guttenberg's review of the New LS50 Meta - I'm now obsessed with owning a pair (to replace my current LS50s)...until the next shiny thing distracts me.

In the meantime, I'm actually really enjoying listening to music on the system I already have...

Most people these days aren't used to writing letters. I don't take enough account of the fact that we aren't having a conversation where you would pick up on the tone of my voice and the expression on my face to modulate what I say, you just have the bare words. So something will sound fine in my head but the words could be misconstrued.

Or alternatively you're talking to a $%^^&^%^ troll and he's winding you up deliberately for the sheer fun of it. What sad c*nts they are.

In the main, boys' toys. No hobby is any worse than any other in regards to the op's observation, as @vinylslug has previously observed.

In my experience, things get even worse when actual facts are involved. A friend is a (now retired) vet' and he signed-up under a pseudonym on a forum about pets/pet-keeping, not declaring that he was in fact a vet, but not for long..................

I have been banned from a forum because I pointed out that a great deal of certain discussions were scientifically impossible, which upset quite a few, including the obviously ignorant and easily led admin'. I was banned from another for pointing out scientific nomenclature was wrong, because that didn't sit well.

Tomorrow I'm gonna change my speaker stand bluetac blobs from large to small pea plobs. I dont trust my ears though I'm sure there fekked.

Why?
The pursuit of high fidelity is like chasing rainbows. We stop when we accept and understand that no matter how close you get, you're really still a long way off absolute fidelity.

In my experience, things get even worse when actual facts are involved...

I have been banned from a forum because I pointed out that a great deal of certain discussions were scientifically impossible, which upset quite a few...

That pretty much answers the OP's question.

When you love the bass and you love the vocal quality.
But you can't have both at the same time as one will impinge upon the other.

That drives me crazy!

My only experience of an internet forum is pfm.

It took me a while to get my head around the tone of conversations, and I still frequently get things wrong.

My main issue is that folks seem to think I am taking the piss when I say I don't understand.

I think it is difficult for the more experienced members to get the fact that some folks (like me) genuinely don't get all the esoteric (or not) references.

As for spending what could appear from an outsiders point of view, a large sum of money on various bits of hi-fi and bits of plastic (records) - who cares?

I used to spend large amounts of money on motorbikes that I didn't need, I would then spend money on fuel and ride the bike to nowhere in particular, for no reason apart from the enjoyment of 'it.'

Not everything has to make sense.

Not everything has to make sense.

Boys' toys seldom do :)

Misunderstandings are normal on all forums, which is why I probably over-do smilies and the like - such as adding "that is a genuine question".

The two that I was banned from had nothing to do with HiFi, BTW.
I am told that forums are a dying breed as such discussions now take place on Facebook and such.

advertisement

Back