advertisement

Hi end Phono stage or Cartridge First?

Cartridges wear out, so to have a fine one veiled by a mediocre phono stage is a lost opportunity. I ran an expensive vdH through a lousy phono stage for a year and it was a complete waste. I'd much rather get the best phono stage I could afford first, even if it meant having a cheaper cart initially. Phono stages are the greatest bottle neck I have experienced in a system.

Cartridges wear out, so to have a fine one veiled by a mediocre phono stage is a lost opportunity. I ran an expensive vdH through a lousy phono stage for a year and it was a complete waste. I'd much rather get the best phono stage I could afford first, even if it meant having a cheaper cart initially. Phono stages are the greatest bottle neck I have experienced in a system.

+1.
the fact is that I could have spent 2k on a cartridge but would have wasted my money if I had been using my old phono stage.

Simon

Not exactly "high-end" but I am currently running a Shure V15III/Jico SAS on an AO re-wired Infinity Black Widow (on LP12) into a Whest Two phono stage.

So a £100 E-Bay cart into a £799 phono stage. Not inclined to change the cart at the moment since it is (allegedly) a great match with the Black Widow and I am enjoying the sound. I was however interested in the reports of the Arkless 640p so thought I would give it a go to see how it compares to the Whest. Awaiting receipt of the modded unit from Jez currently.

Always difficult to know which way round to do these things. Suck it and see really.

Cheers

Plus two, with the proviso that you choose a 'phono stage for all seasons' which will cope with future upgrades in terms od spec's and loading facilities.

Not exactly "high-end" but I am currently running a Shure V15III/Jico SAS on an AO re-wired Infinity Black Widow (on LP12) into a Whest Two phono stage.

So a £100 E-Bay cart into a £799 phono stage. Not inclined to change the cart at the moment since it is (allegedly) a great match with the Black Widow and I am enjoying the sound. I was however interested in the reports of the Arkless 640p so thought I would give it a go to see how it compares to the Whest. Awaiting receipt of the modded unit from Jez currently.

Always difficult to know which way round to do these things. Suck it and see really.

Cheers

Yours is on the bench at the moment so you will be able to make the comparison very soon :) Should be interesting!

Isn't that a convincing illustration of the power of home demos; they're the only truly 'safe' way of buying expensive goods.

My thoughts exactly.

You don't know what will work in your own system and of course room.

This is why we at Tangerine advocate home dems and travel about which rather nice cartridges and phono stages.

Derek Jenkins also is a master at setting up turntables.

Plus two, with the proviso that you choose a 'phono stage for all seasons' which will cope with future upgrades in terms od spec's and loading facilities.

Plus 3,

As you're only going to hear what a better phono-stage allows to come through - as a superior cartridge like say a Koetsu Jade or upwards into something like a Clear Audio Nano would leave the end user wanting more, and it goes without saying that they would then find themselves chasing this or that flavor of most costly phono-stages to make up for its weaknesses - when one would be much better off investing in the best one they can afford and merely get a better cartridge at a later date.

Logically this makes for a better sounding investment. But then again - I'm into this hobby for the end result called enlightenment - not just guessing what's going to preform the best without being matched/thought out before hand - hence the old adage in regards to the overall importance of synergy.

Regards,
o_O scar

Is there or was there a good thread here on this very OP for naim phono card users as opposed to the wider issue.

Please excuse potential thread crap. This is an interesting thread

advertisement

Back