advertisement

Heybrook HB2

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all just pick up some of the above. They need a good clean up but play fine.
When I say fine there are very good for a small speaker the bass you get is great.
May I ask what amp would be the best or what other people are using with there HB2's.
Also is there anywhere you can get new foam grills.
Many thanks

They are superb speakers IMO, one of my favourite ’80s designs. Nothing is too good for them amp-wise; they sound great with the affordable kit of their era, e.g. A&R A60, Nait etc, but will happily scale up to Conrad Johnson & Krell level. They just keep getting bigger and better as what is upstream improves.

PS I’d be inclined to rotate the bass drivers 180 degrees as they are known to sag.

There was a fellow on here named Markie(?) who was doing custom open cell foam grills for various 'speakers. His samples looked great.

Lets' try an @ sign user mention test... @Markie? Yep, last seen on here Feb 2, 2023.

P.S. I remember being very pissed with the owner of the last shop I worked at post uni when he declined to take on the Heybrook brand. The sales rep had set up an demo of TT2 and HB2 using one of our Luxman switchable class A/AB integrated amps. What an idiot that shop owner was.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys.
I have been using them with an audiolab 8000a whitch I liked alot but have now sold. Now using the with a quad 303 but I think they need abit more driving. So I'm going to try my musical fidelity f15 power amp see how they sound on that.
Thanks for the info on the grills I will have a search on here see if I can find the thread.

Big fan of the old Heybrook stuff, I recently restored a pair of HB2's and a TT2 (which IMHO sounds loads better than Linn or Thorens)!!

Now using the with a quad 303 but I think they need abit more driving. So I'm going to try my musical fidelity f15 power amp see how they sound on that.

The MF should give a very good indication of what they can do. They are the wrong type of speaker for a 303 really so I’m not surprised it struggles a bit. I don’t know the Heybrook’s impedance curve but I’d not be surprised if it dipped outside the 303’s comfort zone.

Hi Tony
I think your right. Put the MF on them and it really drives them well. The midrange is very very good. Very happy I have come across these speakers. I normal use my two MF f15's with my linn isobariks. So I will be on the look out for a good power amp to drive them. Do you think a quad 405 would do the job. As I have on to pick up from the repair man ?

Never had any heybrook before. I have seen there Turntables I may look out for one.

I’ve never heard them with Quad, only A&R, Naim, early MF and some US high-end (IIRC SP8 & KSA50). There’s no reason a 405/2 wouldn’t drive them, but whether it would play to their strengths I don’t know. For the same kind of money a MF P170 is a good match, though it would need servicing by now. I bet Exposure would be good too.

I have a pair of HB2 grilles which I maade for someone a while ago.. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you some pics.

Hi all just pick up some of the above. They need a good clean up but play fine.
When I say fine there are very good for a small speaker the bass you get is great.
May I ask what amp would be the best or what other people are using with there HB2's.
Also is there anywhere you can get new foam grills.
Many thanks

Best sound I ever heard from HB2s in a real-life system was probably with the original Albarry monoblocks. Also very good with big Sansuis (eg. AU719) and very listenable if ultimately lacking a wee bit of grunt with Meridian 101/103D (the version with the additional PSU).

Quad wouldn't be top of my list as a dance partner for Heybrook.

Brings back memories. Purchased a pair of these new way back when. From memory they were quite smooth & full sounding. They were driven tho' by a Rotel receiver. Probably not the best match. The main issue I had with them was the character of the bass. The drive unit was made out of bextrene & lended a honky type sound to the lower registers.

They were superb, wish I had never sold my pair, worked really well with A60 amps, would love to hear them on the end of my JVC AX-Z1010.

I had a pair since new in 1982 through to 2017 including a very serviceable 2nd set of foam grilles when i rather stupidly sold them for a very modest price. I used mine with an amplifier of the same era the Technics SU-V3 which at 40W per channel was perfectly capable of driving the HB2s.

I heard that the bass drivers suffered from frame/spider sag, but didn't notice any tell tale voice coil rubbing issues with mine.

I still have my Heybrook TT2 turntable, clearly I was a bit of a Heybrook fan back in the day!

Brings back memories. Purchased a pair of these new way back when. From memory they were quite smooth & full sounding. They were driven tho' by a Rotel receiver. Probably not the best match. The main issue I had with them was the character of the bass. The drive unit was made out of bextrene & lended a honky type sound to the lower registers.

Hmm. As you say, a contemporary Rotel receiver wouldn't really be anywhere near capable of getting the best out of a pair of HB2s.

I probably heard them driven by more amps than any other speaker when I was in the trade, they were kind of our 'go to' first point of call when evaluating electronics or running anything in. In part of course because they were small, quick and easy to set-up, but also because as pointed out up-thread, they were rarely the limiting factor in many systems. Such shortcomings as they had were musically benign, and if we were playing music in the shop for our own pleasure, it was quite frequently the HB2s which were in use. We actually had 2 pairs on the go at all times, the service engineer refused to surrender a pair he'd swapped a driver in, so we needed another pair for the dem room.

If a customer requested a loan pair while something fancy was in for service, it was invariably HB2s we provided. Again, quck, cheap and easy, but I don't remember anyone ever being unhappy with the substitution (apart from the service engineer).

As I said, 'real world' (ie. something somebody might buy) star combo for me was with Albarry, but top of the pile in the 'just plain nuts' category would be hearing them attached to a Tandberg 3000 series pre/power we were warming up with an Oracle/FR64/Koetsu front end. That was definitely a 'guys, you have to come and hear this' moment.

I must admit I am really enjoying these speakers what ever I seem to try with them sounds good. I'm using a John sheane 3.5 power amp with them at the moment really good sound.

advertisement

Back