advertisement

Hernia

Constipation is a horrible horrible thing .hopefully if co codamol is used then loads of poo medicine prescribed as well like movicol and docusate to overcome the effects .

After my first hip replacement op I twigged that the best way to get freshly cooked meals on the ward was to order an omelette, they were always freshly cooked.

A week or so later I realised why I was "egg bound"!!

Constipation is a horrible horrible thing .hopefully if co codamol is used then loads of poo medicine prescribed as well like movicol and docusate to overcome the effects .

For my second hip replacement op I was prescribed a laxative syrup to counter the codeine constipation effect.

Sadly, the foreign doctor in the (PFI funded) "Treatment Centre" confused the spelling of the correct dose rate.

The result was that the laxative effects were less than anticipated until I phoned to query it!

At least it was (probably - I can't remember the details!) better than when, as a toddler, I found my Grandfather's bumper sized Bar of Ex Lax laxative chocolate and scoffed the lot!!

we used to have to give folks jugs of quite a few sachets of movicol over 3 days in severe impaction . boy that made a BIG mess !!!

I had an inguinal hernia 12 years ago and my doctor was able to prescribe a truss on the NHS. When the surgeon operated he inserted a mesh to reinforce the area. I remember a lot of pain just after which involved an overnight stay. In the years since, the repair has been OK with only the occasional discomfort and minor pain. Now I have just got an inguinal hernia on the other side and am waiting to see the consultant with a view to having this one repaired. Not a good time with current waiting lists.

Update, I had a face to face with my doctor who confirmed that I have another inguinal hernia on the other side. He said that if you have had one, the other side usually follows. I live in Gloucestershire and I have been refered to and given an apointment on the 16th December at a place in Gloucester called the Independent Health Group, for an initial examination. It seems this is part of a private group who work for the NHS and the one in Gloucester does only carpal tunnel and hernia surgery. They claim a short waiting time for the operation.

Update, I had a face to face with my doctor who confirmed that I have another inguinal hernia on the other side. He said that if you have had one, the other side usually follows. I live in Gloucestershire and I have been refered to and given an apointment on the 16th December at a place in Gloucester called the Independent Health Group, for an initial examination. It seems this is part of a private group who work for the NHS and the one in Gloucester does only carpal tunnel and hernia surgery. They claim a short waiting time for the operation.
I’m surprised you found the waiting list to be lengthy - I saw my GP in May, a consultant in July and was offered an operation in October (although I opted for December) - although similarly to you, it is at a private hospital doing NHS work. There were two of those on the list of five my GP gave me to choose from and they had the shortest times to wait for a consultant’s appointment. I don’t know if the wait for the actual op was shorter or not.

Well I've finally done myself a bit of an injury, a hernia in my lower left abdomen area, I was installing a new wood burner, I didn't realise it weighed 137 Kg ( I would of guessed about 1/2 of that:rolleyes:)
I'm still renovating and redecorating the house though now sticking to light duties.
I've been to the Dr and I'm now waiting on seeing a consultant.
A lot of the time it's okay, no pain , perhaps a little discomfort but sometimes it flares up and gives me a bit of jip, feels hard and swollen, generally if I sit down it eases and passes and then I'm good to go for another few hours.
Anyone else ever bothered by these and if so did you find anything that helped?

This thread caught my eye, as I'm scheduled for an operation this coming week! PM me later this week onwards if you'd like first hand insight. (Same for anyone else contemplating surgery).

This thread caught my eye, as I'm scheduled for an operation this coming week! PM me later this week onwards if you'd like first hand insight. (Same for anyone else contemplating surgery).
Good luck! I’m a fortnight behind you.

Just a reminder that I had my inguinal hernia op in July last year. I have had a couple of private conversations in private here with others who wanted info, but if anyone else wants any info or opinions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Before I forget :)

Always take your time to pass a stool was my fathers advise.

It’s such a common procedure surgeons can do it in their sleep.

You have incidentally toned yourself up for this op with all your walking so should deserve the best of outcomes.

Well I've had my operation and am back home. I'm following good advice from Tony (see above), and (touch wood) things seem to be working out the way they should. Modern keyhole surgery is amazing, but be warned, one does still get a lot of bruising in tender parts of the anatomy.

Recovery instructions are 'to be really disciplined about not lifting any weight'. Apparently, one patient at the hospital I've just attended had a hernia recur when he picked up a kettle full of water while making tea. Just a couple of kilos was enough to do it, so I'm being very cautious!

Well I've had my operation and am back home. I'm following good advice from Tony (see above), and (touch wood) things seem to be working out the way they should. Modern keyhole surgery is amazing, but be warned, one does still get a lot of bruising in tender parts of the anatomy.

Recovery instructions are 'to be really disciplined about not lifting any weight'. Apparently, one patient at the hospital I've just attended had a hernia recur when he picked up a kettle full of water while making tea. Just a couple of kilos was enough to do it, so I'm being very cautious!
Good news!

I won’t be getting the keyhole treatment, but I’ll certainly bear your warning in mind. I won’t be lifting any wine bottles for a few weeks.*

*joke

Edit: In fact, I ought to get back in practice with my continuous turning corkscrew and stop using my usual butler’s friend for a while. Twisting will be better than pulling. It’s little things like this that you don’t think about. Why did I give that stupid electric corkscrew away? Oh yes, I remember - because it was stupid.

Handful of dried fruits daily before the op and afterwards works a treat, no need for laxatives.

Poor advice.

Opiates slow the peristalsis of the bowel. One needs a stimulant laxative such as senna and potentially a softening agent such as docusate.
Relying on prunes or similar may help a little, but is ineffective for the treatment of opiate induced constipation. This sort of care was my specialty for many years, and I also speak from personal experience.

Poor advice.

Opiates slow the peristalsis of the bowel. One needs a stimulant laxative such as senna and potentially a softening agent such as docusate.
Relying on prunes or similar may help a little, but is ineffective for the treatment of opiate induced constipation. This sort of care was my specialty for many years, and I also speak from personal experience.
I did not take post-op opiates, so my advice is good.

Good news!

I won’t be getting the keyhole treatment, but I’ll certainly bear your warning in mind. I won’t be lifting any wine bottles for a few weeks.*
*joke
Edit: In fact, I ought to get back in practice with my continuous turning corkscrew and stop using my usual butler’s friend for a while. Twisting will be better than pulling. It’s little things like this that you don’t think about. Why did I give that stupid electric corkscrew away? Oh yes, I remember - because it was stupid.

I had open surgery and definitely rate it. I'd wanted keyhole but was won over. There must be something in the cellar with a screw top? Saying that a continuous corkscrew will be fine as long as you take it easy! Where's Gaston when you need him?
Hope you can avoid painkillers. There will always be a degree of mild discomfort but I didn't need painkillers. From the reviews of my surgeon that was normal.

I had the keyhole/mesh procedure in 2018, and my consultant (here in Ireland) basically said “take a few days off”, back to normal in a week. I took him a bit literally, didn’t rest that much and then had a “moment” where I nearly passed out in a friend’s house due to low blood pressure and had to take more time off work. It then **seemed** ok but recurred early 2022 and I had to have the old-fashioned (open?) procedure this summer - it took 2 weeks to feel ok, and really was only after 3 months I properly recovered.

I’m fine now, but the open procedure is definitely much more intrusive and you get a nice scar for your troubles.

Moral for me - if you get keyhole/mesh, take 2 good weeks rest and do very, very little to allow a good recovery. It’s still surgery, don’t take it lightly!

advertisement

Back