advertisement

Here we go...who's next..?

robs

should know how this works by no
Oops

Thames, which serves 15 million households, and its parent company Kemble Water, owes a total of £18bn in debt.

Its own auditors have warned it may not continue as a going concern.

"The company has said it will need another £2.5bn of investment in the coming years but that is contingent in part on the regulator, Ofwat, agreeing to household bills increasing by 40% on top of inflation by 2030."

Maybe Rwanda is higher priorty....?

Absolutely. Should have done that with RBS and sold the rotten carcass to the highest bidder.
Couldn’t have done that with RBS. They were too heavily leveraged with other banks (including central bank) due to their funding model, and they were responsible for the infrastructure running worldpay and swift at the time. If they had crashed, they would have brought down Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC, BNP, JPM, Citi and more. In short, worldwide banking collapse. No atm’s or online payment systems would have worked, and no authenticated swift messages could be sent to attempt to shore it up. Brown and Darling did the only thing they could and averted total disaster.

If Thames Water fails, who is going to provide clean safe drinking water for the South East? Privatised Utilities, what a nonsense, the public will always have to bail them out, no choice. That they were borrowing money in order to pay dividends..... people should be going to jail.
The Government will appoint commissioners until it is decided what to do long term. The public does not have to bail anyone out.

I can’t vouch for the veracity of Wikipedia but paying dividends for years while racking up £14bn debt. Says needs £2.5bn just to stay afloat. Nice work for all those who trousered the “profits”.

In my eyes, it’s fraud. In theory we could forensically analyse every transaction in history since privatisation and claw it, or the proceeds thereof, back.

I can’t vouch for the veracity of Wikipedia but paying dividends for years while racking up £14bn debt. Says needs £2.5bn just to stay afloat. Nice work for all those who trousered the “profits”.

In my eyes, it’s fraud. In theory we could forensically analyse every transaction in history since privatisation and claw it, or the proceeds thereof, back.

But that was the whole point of privatisation, so it worked as intended.

All I can say is thank goodness Scotland didn't go down that route.

When the other utilities were privatised they had infrastructure which was reasonably fit for purpose and could be maintained and upgraded with fewer problems.

The Victorian water and sewage system was past it's sell by date and modern lifestyle and population growth puts increasing pressures on it. The required updates need eye-watering levels of investment which the current model will struggle to provide. Water prices will have to rise substantially I'm afraid.

Couldn’t have done that with RBS. They were too heavily leveraged with other banks (including central bank) due to their funding model, and they were responsible for the infrastructure running worldpay and swift at the time. If they had crashed, they would have brought down Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC, BNP, JPM, Citi and more. In short, worldwide banking collapse. No atm’s or online payment systems would have worked, and no authenticated swift messages could be sent to attempt to shore it up. Brown and Darling did the only thing they could and averted total disaster.

You’re in the too big to fail camp then. All banks have interdependencies. The failure of any bank is nothing which shouldn’t be able to be handled effectively by regulators. They could be insolvent but still be operational until sold. As happens with companies in administration.

Northern Rock, Lehmans etc went pop, so should have RBS. Nothing to do with the origins of certain key politicians at the time, I’m sure.

advertisement

Back