advertisement

Help with selling stuff

pocketkitchen

I'm about to get rid of a few records online. I'll put some up here and maybe use discogs too. However, what packaging do people find best to use to send vinyl out? Obviously, I don't want things damaged and end up having to refund the buyer and losing out - there's some fairly valuable stuff there. Any advice appreciated as I've never sold any vinyl before and don't want to fall prey to pitfalls that experienced sellers would think we're obvious.

I normally save the mailers that I receive records in for the very rare occasions that I move stuff on (which drives SWMBO nuts, because there’s always a pile of them cluttering somewhere up...).

Anyway that’s not much use to you, so how about these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N2LPJJQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And remember, only 5 per month here so as not to compete unduly with Tony...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For expensive records the thick 'pizza box' mailers are best. Wrap the record in bubble wrap and make sure it doesn't bounce around inside.

Removing the inner sleeve and placing it next to the outer sleeve in a plastic record sleeve stops the record moving and damaging the outer sleeve.

For cheaper records the standard card mailers are fine but always use card stiffeners. A few 10p LPs from the charity shop works just as well (for second class postage the price is the same up to 2kg).

If you're DIYing it with corrugated cardboard from an old box make sure the corrugated bits are at 90 degrees so it's hard to bend.

It doesn't hurt to write FRAGILE! PLEASE DO NOT BEND! in big red letters on both sides.

Mailers designed for the purpose are found in the classifieds of Record Collector every month.

I've received great feedback on eBay for my packing; for a single LP, remove LP in its inner sleeve, and wrap in clingfilm. Wrap the outer sleeve in clingfilm, lay them on top of each other, and the clingfilm inhibits movement in transit, and keeps contaminants out. Added bonus is that if package gets wet while the postie is out in the rain, the clingfilm will help to keep or keep the contents dry.

I used purpose-made mailers with card stiffeners from an advertiser in RC. Put the card stiffener on the LP/inner side for extra protection, and the whole in the outer card envelope.

I always make my own mailers, or reuse old ones. I always add more crossplys of corrugated cardboard and enusre they are bigger than 12" x 12" to lessen to chance of corner crunches.

I get many positive comments about the sturdy nature of my packing. It takes a bit of effort though.

I never use mailers that are only just bigger than the record sleeve, asking for the corners to get bashed.

As others have said, take record out of original sleeve.

The most expensive L.P. I have posted was about £160 - and I still used recycled stuff to package it.

Lots of 'Fragile' tape.

Write 'fragile' and 'do not bend or fold' on the package.

Shake your package. Are you getting any movement within the package, however small? If so, take it all apart and start again. Nothing worse than contents moving about, grinds my gears...

Make sure the postage covers the cost of replacement in terms of insurance. I have made a claim through Royal Mail and they paid up.

Take photographs of the contents and the package.

Anything over £15 I usually insist on tracked (and signature on receipt) postage. Set your own limits. It can depend on how rare a record is, rather than its value.

I have just sold a 7" to a guy in Texas. The record cost him £10 and the postage has cost him just a bit more ( £10.07 ) - Royal Mail international tracked and signed, classed as a "Large Letter" - that may sound overkill re postage, but there was only my copy for sale, a rare thing.

Keep your receipts for posting in order and add a note to remind you of what the sale was.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back