advertisement

Help with phono amp build

John Channing

fruit box forever
Back in 2013, while recovering from major surgery and sitting at home for several months, I agreed to participate in a PFM group buy for a printed circuit board that would allow me to build a high-performance phono stage. Printed on the board is:

"Neil's Phono Motherboard, January 2013, version 1.0"

I was hoping this would spur me on to learn more about electronics and build a top notch phono stage. I even went as far as obtaining a blank Teddy Pardo case so that the final result could be housed in a box that matched the other items in my system.

Unfortunately, as soon as I fully recovered, my hectic life quickly returned and I neither learnt the necessary skills nor completed the build.

So I have two questions:
1) Could someone build this for me and if so, what would it cost?
or
2) Would someone like to buy these boards from me?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RcY1LEZNwabvbNhg8

This board uses the Naim phono boards doesn't it?
So basically the brilliant teddy regs powering standard naim boards?

Substitute in a set of RSL z150/152 boards for a brilliant phono stage

I say...build it yourself....the teddy reg components are available as a kit of parts I believe and the RSL boards a ready built product

This board uses the Naim phono boards doesn't it?
So basically the brilliant teddy regs powering standard naim boards?

Substitute in a set of RSL z150/152 boards for a brilliant phono stage

I say...build it yourself....the teddy reg components are available as a kit of parts I believe and the RSL boards a ready built product

Ok, how and where do I start?

Contact teddy and see if he will send you a set of parts for the 3x positive regs and 1x negative

Decide if you want it as a MC or MM stage

Look out for the correct naim boards (or just buy the Ryan Sound Labs ones

Or...
Make sure you have an original BOM for the boards you have and just buy the parts and populate them

This will not be a really easy build..like a kit
But not a hard one either

Last edited:
I have the BOM for the motherboard and the cards. It's a straight forward build and plenty of help from this forum. You will need a power supply to feed it. You can also configure it to use standard naim cards or use split rails to feed the front and back end of Neil's cards. Looks like you have a set of Neil's MC cards in the photo. I've used my build for years now housed alongside a B4 buffer stage in a Modushop case.

Hardest bit is getting the pins

True....I think getting gold plated ones is impossible...but unplated / zinc ones are still available easy enough I believe last time I looked

I think I might be tempted to make my own out of copper nails or similar

Neil sold me a fully populated motherboard and I have a set each of his mc and mm boards. Never managed to sort out a power supply for it but managed to case it in a lovely walnut veneered box. Even have a matching one for the power supply. One day maybe. It is in storage at the moment, may dig it out if this thread progresses.

Contact teddy and see if he will send you a set of parts for the 3x positive regs and 1x negative

Decide if you want it as a MC or MM stage

This will not be a really easy build..like a kit
But not a hard one either

I also have both a bare NJ MMB and NJ MM-phono board (along with pairs of bare NJ 323. 729 and 321 boards) which I've been sitting on for quite a while and am ready to build. I have the BOM's for them all.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought the NJ 323 boards were the correct boards for an MM cartridge and all I have to do is populate the 323 cards and 'slot them in'. My cartridge is a Linn Troika.

I don't understand the comment about "+ and -ve" teddy regs for the boards. On looking at my bare boards, all the regs on both motherboards appear identical, have I missed something ?

Could you explain as I'm not in any way an electronic expert.
I can solder and follow a circuit diagram (I built my own Avondale NCC boards which worked without any problems), but putting the bits together isn't the same as understanding what they do, so very basic and simple advice would be greatly appreciated.

I thought that Neil stuck to the original Naim format for the cards. 322 for magnet and 323 for moving coil.

Apologies, I managed to confuse myself, you are quite right 323 for MC and 322 for MM. I got the 323 cards from Neil for my Troika which is of course MC>

But I would be grateful for clarification about the +ve and -ve teddy regs. I've rechecked my Phono board and each teddyreg is labeled as +ve - as in John's photo (#1)

The motherboard runs from a + supply. Just need to build the board to the BOM, add a power supply and away you go. I will have a look for some photos from my build if that helps.

advertisement

Back