advertisement

help with lenses

vibbles

pfm Member
Hi guys

I've got myself a Nikon D60 and want to get a zoom lens, what I don't know is which to get, is a 200mm good enough for most things or is it better to go for 300mm,
thanks

hi,

Are you sure, 300mm... What do you plan to photo ?

For most people here 100mm is good enough for most things.

Omer.

Hi Vibbles, it depends on your subject and it also depends on your budget, weight you're prepared to carry etc.

As with the D40 and D40X, the new D60 doesn't have an built-in focus drive motor which means it can auto focus only with lenses which have their own drive motor (AF-S and AF-I lenses from Nikon or HSM lenses from Sigma).

I have used the Nikkor 18-200 on a D300 and had some not too bad results with that lens at both the wide end and telephoto end of the range. However you are limited with the 200mm maximum extenstion if you want to shoot wildlife where 300mm or even 400mm would be beneficial. That together with the relatively modest widest aperture mean that the lens is better suited to general holiday snap photography, than to serious use for shooting action

Something to bear in mind with the smaller Nikon cameras is that they use a smaller sensor than the D3/D3X/D700 making every lens effectively 50% longer, so that 18-200 lens will be more like 27-300 anyway. However if you do need length more than width it would be worth considering something like the 50-500 sigma lens. When using non Nikon lenses it's best to check with the supplier if it will work on the D60 though - I don't think it would autofocus with the 28-300 for instance.

cheers
Cliff

interesting, thanks,

I just thought it would be good for sports ect. where you need to bring the action closer, they do a 55-200mm or a 70-300mm,

from what you're saying the 200mm might be the most useful if for no other reason than it will be smaller

interesting, thanks,

I just thought it would be good for sports ect. where you need to bring the action closer, they do a 55-200mm or a 70-300mm,

from what you're saying the 200mm might be the most useful if for no other reason than it will be smaller

If you're thinking about the Nikon 55-200 (Non VR version) it isn't a great lens and also its quite a limiting range that 55-200 is more like 80-300 in 35mm terms. It is quite a dinky little thing though buta bit slow to focus based on trying one on a Fuji S5 a couple of years ago.

Check out Ken Rockwell's comments on the 55-200 here

As Ken points out, the 55-200VR is a much better lens aka the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor (which is a mouthful)

The 70-300 will not autofocus with a D60.

cheers
Cliff

thanks, it is the VR version I was thinking about,

having read Ken Rockwell's site it doesn't look a bad investment,

his thoughts on the D40 make me wonder why I bought the D60:)

thanks, it is the VR version I was thinking about,

having read Ken Rockwell's site it doesn't look a bad investment,

his thoughts on the D40 make me wonder why I bought the D60:)

I wouldn't worry too much about Mr Rockwell's opinion. He is very polarised and likes to spark debate so lots of what he says is to be taken with a pinch of salt. I do find his site both entertaining and useful though.

Jo has it right, in my experience with a 35 SLR once you go past 200mm you need a tripod, or a steady (expert) hand and fast film/lenses.

thanks, to be honest I think for me that 70-300mm might be overkill the 55-200 will cover most eventualities

I'd seriously consider the 18-200 VR lens.

It's a great all purpose lens and I don't think you'd regret your purchase.
VR is better than I'd have expected. Obviously you'll want a faster (wider apperture) lens in some circumstances, but that's going to cost in both price and size/weight.

Look up some reviews and at least give it a go. It's easy to get snobbish and over fussy about ultimate quality. But I'd rather sacrifice a bit of that (and it is a very competent lens!), for the convenience of such a compact do-it-all, always-on lens!

VR will help with stationary subjects, and maybe fast prime for low light indoor stuff.

sadly,if I knew then what I know now I would have bought a body only and then got a 18-200 VR but as I've got the standard 18-55 VR I've bought the 55-200 VR, the only pain is to have to change lenses all the time,

from what I've seen already VR is a must have,

OK I've now got the standard 18-55 VR AND A 55-200 VR

are there any other lenses that would be useful?

thanks

OK I've now got the standard 18-55 VR AND A 55-200 VR

are there any other lenses that would be useful?

thanks

A standard prime would be handy I think - the Sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM is a useful addition if you want to avoid having to use flash indoors

cheers
Cliff

advertisement

Back