advertisement

Help with Goodmans Magisters

MOBY DICK

pfm Member
I owned a pair of these in 1972 and saw a pair on Ebay, so thought I'd chance buying them.

After getting them home I have found that both tweeters on one of the speaker aren't working.

My question is, can these be replaced with a modern tweeter, obviously the chance of getting an original working set set are virtually nil. These are a 3 way design..oddly enough I don't remember these having two tweeters but have seen other pairs on Ebay also sporting two..so it must be my mind playing tricks, what is the purpose of having two tweeters??

I want to try and get these working as they are an amzing speker when up to speed.

Am I wasting my time?

I'll post pictures of these if anyone can help.

The tweeters are probably fixable - try Wembley Loudspeakers or Recone Labs (just Google the names and you will get to their sites). I'd keep them all original if at all possible.

Tony.

Thanks Tony & Rob

I've taken a few pictures tonight.

What I have done is put temporary tweeters from an old pair of original Mordaunt Short MS10's in so that I can have a balanced sound for the time being.

I agree that fixing them would be ideal. The mid range unit on one has a slight vibration at certain frequences, I wonder if this could also be fixed.

I really would love to get these sorted as they are one of the best speakers I've ever heard, always have been since I first heard a pair my brother had in 1972. As soon as I left school I built my first system around these.

Even with the wrong tweeters in they sound pretty good.

I hope I post these pics correctly

Magister3.jpg

Magister2.jpg

Magister1.jpg

Magister4.jpg

They look good, nice big bass driver! I'm certain the mid and top drivers will be fixable. Cool stands too - darken them a bit and they'll look really good.

Tony.

cheers Tony

I knocked the stands up last week in preparation, still got to decide on a finish, not bottom spiked yet as I wanted to make sure I got them in a final position..was frightened they would turn the tv screen green :p

I've been looking for a metal stand on the net but can't really find anything suitable.

I've just looked at the recone site and it's got me thinking about having them completely refurbished, all units checked and repaired. Huddersfield isn't too far from me, would have to take these myself, way too heavy for any postage carry on.

The bass units are 15", one of them also looks like it has had attention in the past.

Basically they are all problems you would expect with speakers this old. If it's possible to bring these back to something like the original condition I certainly would not want any other speaker. These are really special speakers, a classic that seem to have been forgotten, wish to god they made these nowadays.

It's convincing the boss [missus] that is the stumbling block now.

Hi Fi World had an article about custom made metal stands a few months ago ,you need to do something quick to keep the peace at home.I will go and dig out some details and post them on the forum.

Many thanks Smithy

I've just come across this info on another board:

Re Goodmans Magister Speakers.

I have been using a pair of these speakers since about 1972. They are rated at 50 watts RMS 4-8 ohm. As they are much more sensitive than some higher wattage speakers you get now. You would be hard pressed to run them in a home environment at anthing like 50 watts RMS. That means that your amplifier finds it easy to drive them so it works well within it's capabilities. They are of infinite baffle design and even though the 15 inch woofer is of a long throw design it does not usually move that much to produce prodigeous amounts of very low bass. The frequency response of these speakers is 26Hz-22kHz so it is way down to sub-woofer territoy. I have used mine over all these years with 25 watt amplifiers playing pretty flatly recorded vinyl to powerful amplifiers playing dynamic CDs and these speakers do not disappoint. I'm not selling mine any time soon! Bass is effortless, not pumped out as you sometimes sense it with speakers in which the cone operates more like a piston. The crossover frequencies for the 4 inch mid range and the 1 inch tweeter are 800Hz and 5kHz. They cost £62.50 when Quad Electrostatics cost £66. You can't shake your house properly with Electrostatics! It was the exceptionally low bass frequency response that decided me on these speakers. At that time nothing else could go that deep. If you have the room for them (they are BIG)and ever get the chance to buy a pair, don't hesitate. there is nothing out there like them. The cabinets are beautifully made and of much thicker materials than normal. This was the golden age for British made Hi-Fi but sadly most of those companies are long gone!

If I wanted to replace the mid unit and tweeter would this be enough info to get the correct repalacements just based on those crossover figures. What would be the spec needed for the mid & tweeter to look out for?

It's not quite that simple as drivers have character, i.e. peaks and troughs in their response that are compensated in the crossover. If you want them to sound how they should I'd repair the existing drivers.

Tony.

The top tweeter looks like the original one. A similar looking tweeter was used in the famous Goodmans Maxim made in 1960s. Haden Boardman wrote an article in the Hi Fi Magazine (Nov 1997 issue) about the Maxims showing photos of the tweeters. He commented that modern replacement can be use, e.g. drivers from Advanced Transducer Developments. He could supply them back in 1997, telelphone 01942 257525.

Good luck.

Regards
Hon

maxim.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I'll give that number a ring. I know what you are saying Tony, I was just trying to expore any alternatives.

you have been a great help..thanks

hi, if you look on e bay now there are a pair of goodmans elgansia with what look like the same tweeters .only at £20 ...three hours to go

thanks Andrew

I did see these but wasn't sure if they were the same, a long way for a pick up as well for me.

I am looking on ebay but obviously it's fraught with problems, could get the speakers home and find out the tweeters don't work right on them etc...distance is usually a problem, goodmans are normally large boxes so posting isn't an option.

thanks for looking out, much appreciated

I cannibalised a pair of Goddmans Goodwood speakers last year to use the cabinets for another project.

They are a 3 way, 12" bass, mid and treble.

The mid range is 120mm mounting hole width (diagonally) no markings on them as to codes etc. very hefty magnet.

Tweeter says :-

"Goodmans dome radiator DT3 8ohms dated 27th February 1975.

Any good ?

Thanks Puffin

I think you may have had a pair of Magnum K2's, I maybe wrong. The mid range on mine is 155mm diagonal. I think they used a different tweeter to the magister as well, does it look like the picture of mine?

It may be I would say they aren't what I am after but a million thanks for posting..appreciate it.

I am presently monitoring ebay, I have taken the speakers out of my system for the time being

advertisement

Back