advertisement

Help with Altec model

Wilson

SCTV half wit
a>
Have inherited these.

Bad photo of a vintage Altec. Which model are these please?

Thanks in advance,

John

https://ibb.co/iU5Uxf
iU5Uxf

Agreed with Yank. Looks like an early model. The later ones had two front ports.

Thanks for your assistance.

Would a Decware Zen pair well with these? I have never owned a horn loudpeaker nor a valve amp so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Currently own Exposure 17 and 18 Super monos.

Thanks again for your time.

I’d personally go for a bit more power than a Zen, but you don’t need much. If these are your first high efficiency speakers be aware that a quiet amp is just as important as a good sounding one, the speakers will find any hiss or hum present. Have a good read of Stereophile as one of the columnists, Art Dudley I think, had a pair of Valencias and loved them. He used crazy expensive Shindo amps though.

Please keep us informed - I followed Art Dudley's very positive experiences with his Valencias and always fancied a pair.

Finally have these set up.

They are late model Valencia 846A. Late 70's I would guess. They are all original and in great condition.

Currently running off of Expo 17 18 monos. Not ideal but tells me that I like them. I also inherited a Sansui 9090 that is in great shape but will be due for a service. Shall I run them off of the Sansui once it has been serviced and be content with that or go down the tubes road?

I’d go down the tube road if at all possible, the Sansui, lovely though it no doubt it, just won’t be the right thing for high-efficiency horns. You don’t need much power, something like a little EL84 Leben or equivalent would be ideal.

If it really is of the quality of a Stereo 20 I suspect it would be ideal. You really don’t need any more than 10 watts with a 95db+ loudspeaker, and a couple of EL84s with a nice output transformer do that as well as anything to my ears.

With regard to my Altec Valencia 846As; should these be positioned near to the wall behind them or in free space? And if near the wall, how close? Can’t find too much info on placement.

Thanks.

Thanks for that, Hook. I had read the Valencia article in Stereophile but was unaware of the one that you have linked to. I will read that this evening.

Have a good weekend.

I love the Decware Zen, but if you need a little more power, the Puresound A10 EL84 or Audion Stirling SE EL34 would be a good affordable choice!

advertisement

Back