advertisement

Help with 52 Preamp.

SteveT

Hope someone can help. I have not listened to my system for a week or two and I noticed tonight that the settings were not as I had left them. System comprises CDS3 with XPS2, 250, 52 with Supercap and an 02 Tuner. When I tried listening to a CD all I could hear was a very loud buzzing/hum coming out of the speakers. My CDS3 is connected to the Tuner input. My 02 is connected to the CD input and sounds fine. In fact it is playing now. What is going on? I leave my system switched on all the time as recommended but I suspect we might of had a power cut. Help!

Yes! If I use the tuner input the cd spins but there is no sound. The buzzing remains. I switched it off over night in the vain hope that it might reset itself but to no avail. I think the CDS3 will have to go back to Salisbury which is a nuisance.

SteveT

Trying to get my head around this, but it sounds as though you've already illiminated a 52 fault in favour of a CDP fault.

Your CDS3 should work into at least four (long time ago; I've forgotten) 52 inputs, depending on whether you've got phono boards in.

Assume you've done this, and also stick your tuner into each to verify all inputs; thus double check.

Don't overlook a cable problem. Have you reseated all the cables that connect to the CDS3? It only takes a broken earth connection on a signal cable to produce the effects that you are hearing.

Cheers,

DV

Steve, give me a shout and I will pop round with my CDSII head unit and some cables and we will find out which bit ain't working right.

Cheers
D

The repairers here may have the truth. In order to test the hypothesis you need to get a bit scientific. If the CD player works through a CD or tuner input, then the CDP and the interconnect are OK. So try the CDP and its interconnect into each of the inputsd. If one of them is down, then you have a duff input. If not, all your inputs are OK and your fault is elsewhere. Go through it one thing at a time until you nail the fault. You van then decide whether you want to get it fixed - if you just have an input down and the others all work this may not be a big deal. That's up to you to decide.

Could be capacitors have expired due to leaving the gear switched on all the time. This practice is not recommended!

Not only recommended, but common practice for Naim; cannot speak for other makes. With so many discussions over the years, the jury still seems to be out on this one.

Hope someone can help. I have not listened to my system for a week or two and I noticed tonight that the settings were not as I had left them. System comprises CDS3 with XPS2, 250, 52 with Supercap and an 02 Tuner. When I tried listening to a CD all I could hear was a very loud buzzing/hum coming out of the speakers. My CDS3 is connected to the Tuner input. My 02 is connected to the CD input and sounds fine. In fact it is playing now. What is going on? I leave my system switched on all the time as recommended but I suspect we might of had a power cut. Help!

My guess is an interconnect cable fault. Sounds like a break in the ground connection

I would check this out first

Simon

There was a batch of 52s which suffered from a well known problem where the selector board starts doing very funny things. Parts are cheap but you have to dismantle everything. Certain inputs fail, swap around and the thing generally goes a bit bananas.

I am afraid i don't follow your posts too well but the above might be the problem. They can give up the ghost suddenly with no prior warning.

Darran at Class A is your man.

There was a batch of 52s which suffered from a well known problem where the selector board starts doing very funny things. Parts are cheap but you have to dismantle everything. Certain inputs fail, swap around and the thing generally goes a bit bananas.

I am afraid i don't follow your posts too well but the above might be the problem. They can give up the ghost suddenly with no prior warning.

Darran at Class A is your man.

I've not seen a 52 with this problem, but have fixed a couple of 82s where the opto isolators driving the relays have gone noisy and start randomly selecting relays willy nilly.

Not only recommended, but common practice for Naim; cannot speak for other makes. With so many discussions over the years, the jury still seems to be out on this one.

I've changed my mind... I was completely wrong. You should definitely leave everything on all the time. It's great for (my) business!!

Mr Click has just left the building but before doing so managed to track down the source of the problem to a faulty cable between the CDS3 and the 52. Despite the fact that I never touch the cables it seems odd that it should just give up the ghost like that. I have got an old cable as a stop gap and after Christmas will probably look into getting a HiLine.

Thank you Fraser, Adam and Richard for your advice and assistance in this matter. My heart is settling down to a normal pulse rate and the bank balance remains healthy for the time being.........

SteveT

I meant to say also thanks to you Darth and Simon for hitting the nail on the head and to everyone else for taking the trouble to respond to my plea. Thanks very much indeed.

SteveT

Another Festivas miracle!

(PS I have an old Chord Co Cable which has also died. Both ends soldered fine.)

Found the source the problem. The braided shielding wire had come adrift from the pin. Quickly soldered back and no problem. I find it amazing that the soldered joint would fail when it was doing absolutely nothing, just sitting there. I must admit the lead from the foil to the pin was pretty solid with no flexibility but even so. Happy days, I have saved myself some money and at the same time can enjoy my music again.

SteveT

advertisement

Back