advertisement

HELP! Speakers on a limited budget

Lol thanks Simon, I know my current gear isn't anywhere in the quality league, and the CD player is a pretty cheap model with some known design flaws, so it might be worth trying something else there - a DAC is probably a good idea anyway.

Do you think it would be unwise to do the speakers first - I really want to lose the mid-range harshness asap so I can enjoy listening for longer periods of time? (another ebay sale I have my eyes on are some Celestion Ditton 15 XRs)

This looks like it's now my new hobby. I used to think I knew a bit about hi-fi in the early eighties when we had arguments at work about the new CD vs analogue, and the Wharfedale Diamonds first came out and I wanted them :)

You could also keep your speakers and modify the crossover to get a more gentle mid-range and treble. It is really not so difficult, probably just a question of inserting a few resistors as L-pads before the midrange and tweeter. Bear in mind that speakers are not precision instruments, and even if they were in an anecoic chamber, this would have no realtionship with how they behave in your room, to your ears. You could then tweak them to exactly the degree of warmth-brightness that pleases you. That's what I'd do, and if you ask on the DIY forum you'll get lots of help.

Mmm, that sounds like fun...I have a soldering iron - and I can still remember the resistor colour codes from my electronic technician days :)

Mordaunt Short were made near Portsmouth so there is a fair amount of kit around there. From 60s to 80s they were as exciting as KEF/Celestion etc, but they never sold huge amounts. Festival mk II, Pageants, Signifers are all good. Lots of good rare models too.

I have a pair of KEF Q35s which I could part with. They are in good condition, great vocals and hf for the price and very unfussy to position.

You could try some full range speakers as these can have a warm sound. The Epos speakers are a good choice as they do have good midrange and only a limited crossover, but they do have metal tweeters I believe, which I found a bit tizzy sounding with a Naim nait.

Don't get Epos ES14s, they are too much for your system. They demand the best to sound good. Some Linn Helix or Nexus will be a nice warm match.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming, much appreciated :)

I didn't go for the ES14's in the end - wasn't 100% sure having read about the possible tinny tweeters, but they went for £142 because it included some expensive cable, so higher than I wanted to pay.

I may have some new (old) speakers tomorrow, will post progress

Coming from Eltax pretty much anything will be an upgrade.... Good call on the ES14's, If equipment up stream isnt up to scratch you'll never enjoy them - Those tweeters hate budget sources IME.

Under £150 I would be looking at Linn Keilidh, Rega Jura, JPW AP3, Mission 751

All of which would thrash anything in your original list I reckon & are pretty common on eBay...

I'm now the chuffed owner of a pair of Monitor Audio MA9's for £35. They're lovely heavy teak speakers, and first impressions are that I made a good choice :)

I haven't been able to turn up the volume yet 'cos I'll just get moaned at, but these have done what I wanted and got rid of the mid frequency shouting. The highs are detailed and the bass is pretty surprising, although not punchy like the Eltax. These give a warm balanced sound that I'll be able to listen to all day. Tried a mixture of stuff - Bee Gees Stayin' Alive and the White Stripes Jimmy The Exploder sound great, some cello from Jocelyn Pook is beautiful, and even Florence Welch doesn't annoy (well ok, that's relative)!

This was first impressions with them sat on top of my floor standers, so I need to get some stands, and I'll do some more listening experiments with volume soon, but I'm pretty happy with these for now :)

Hi Freshmackerel,
That's great news.

If you put out a general request you might find some one with an old review. There's not much info on the web for these.

If you let us know how big they are, we might be able to recommend some suitable stands.

Simon

My first post, so be gentle...

I have an eighties Onkyo A22 amp that I've owned from new and it's served me well, and some Eltax Silverstone 200 floorstanders, but TBH I've been unhappy with the speakers for ages. They're bright, too bright for me, although that could be the amp. Crystal clear sound, and bass can be good, but can't listen to them for too long in comfort really.

Now I'm looking around for speakers, and I can't justify (to my wife) spending that much really - prob £150 absoulte max. I've been looking at reviews and audio forums (like this rather good one!) and on fleabay etc. and I have a shortlist...well not sure I do have a good shortlist actually, but if anyone has a few minutes to spare to give any helpful advice I'd be very grateful.

I like to listen to some odd stuff...I do like my old Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, etc, but listen to Bjork, Jack White, Robyn, Beirut, The Knife, Air...well, all over the place I guess.

I think I need some speakers that are a bit "warmer" if that's a good word for it...less shouty in the midrange. I think that's my main criteria...(and they must be wood, not black or silver!) but floorstanders or bookshelves

I've narrowed it down to this so far: -
- Q Acoustics 2010i or 2020i. New speakers, so no worries about maintenance, and get great reviews...these might be my favourites ATM
- Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s looked like my first choice, but then I found a couple of negative comments, one saying they were a bit harsh. I know it's all a bit down to personal hearing, but harsh isn't something I want to be anywhere near, so now I'm unsure
- Tannoy Mercury V1s - seems they have warm bass, which sounds appealing compared to the Eltax, and perhaps better than the Wharfedales
- Ruark Talisman II - missed out on them on ebay this morning, but wasn't 100% sure, sounds like they could be too bass light, but lots of favourable comments so might consider them if any more come up
- Some EPOS ES14s are on ebay that I could collect. There's some lively discussions on here about them, and they might be affordable (I do like the idea of some nice vintage speakers!)
- and Mordaunt Short MS25i only because they're in my local paper for £50 tonight :)

Or maybe I need to upgrade my amp...!

This is harder than I thought it would be! I know ideally I need to listen to these speakers, but not going to be that easy for the 2nd hand ones, so any experience or advice will be of help, thanks!
A pair of the older wedge shaped Rega Ela's might be ideal (about £100). The ES14's need a relatively high current amp to do their thing, the Rega's should be great on the end of anything - although the ES14's also thrive in a big room well away from the walls.

Look for an old Creek integrated if you subsequently want a great S/H amp for peanuts (<£100).

edit: sorry, not sure the Regas come in anything other than black.

Coming from Eltax pretty much anything will be an upgrade.... Good call on the ES14's, If equipment up stream isnt up to scratch you'll never enjoy them - Those tweeters hate budget sources IME.

Under £150 I would be looking at Linn Keilidh, Rega Jura, JPW AP3, Mission 751

All of which would thrash anything in your original list I reckon & are pretty common on eBay...

keilidhs are great but you would be very, very lucky to get any under or even near £150, £250-350 tends to be the norm depending on age, condition and stands.

If the OP could score a pair of juras they would be just the ticket.

Thanks for the help folks :)

The speakers are 41cm x 23cm x 22cm, but I don't have any more specs at the moment.
There's a great thread about Monitor Audio history on here, but it doesn't have the actual MA9 full specs, so I've emailed Monitor Audio to see if they can help.

keilidhs are great but you would be very, very lucky to get any under or even near £150, £250-350 tends to be the norm depending on age, condition and stands.

If the OP could score a pair of juras they would be just the ticket.

I've bought 2 pairs in the last year for under £150, both mint but the second pair didnt have kustone stands....

Anyway, happy you got some better speakers & have cash left over... result.

I've bought 2 pairs in the last year for under £150, both mint but the second pair didnt have kustone stands....

Anyway, happy you got some better speakers & have cash left over... result.

You jammy git, that's a rediculous bargain! You won't get better musical performance than that for the money.

Errr, why has no one suggested some Royd Minstrels. Would have thought these'd be a no brainer for the £100-150 budget or a rock music fan!

Errr, why has no one suggested some Royd Minstrels. Would have thought these'd be a no brainer for the £100-150 budget or a rock music fan!

They are great but you need to know what you are looking for and I think the OP is after something with plenty off bass.

The bass from minstrels is fast, articulate tunefully bass but not big, I love em though!

advertisement

Back