advertisement

Help: Rega Apheta 2 cartridge repair needed (Major Sleeve Incident)

TheFlash

Reiki Audio
Bummer. I caught a sleeve on the stylus. It looks like the cantilever has turned through 180 and the diamond is facing upwards but I can't tell whether the cantilever is also bent.

My default is to contact Rega themselves, but I'd appreciate any alternative solutions. Key criteria is obviously quality of the fix. Secondary are cost and timescales.

Your recommendations please, along with why.

Oh, and your sympathy, obviously.

(Plea for help also advertised elsewhere!)

Brother, I hear you. My week started the same way, albeit not with a Rega. From what I’ve heard they will sort you out, but if you want an alternative I’ve found Goldring to be very helpful so far: fill in the online form with a photo and you’re likely to get a friendly phone call within hours, and a frank assessment, without lots of threatening talk of inspection fees and so on.

Rega dealer time I believe and @pauldarwin will likely be along to confirm. That’s what I’d do rather than an independent on mine.

One for Rega through a dealer. Well pleased with my Apheta rebuild. Cost around £340, turnaround just over two weeks iirc.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, phone call to Rega first thing tomorrow then!

Though I suspect I might need to access their services via a dealer, sure I read that somewhere.

Rega won’t let you down on this. I’d go with them as others above. Sorry to hear about your cart though. I just realised I damaged mine a few days ago whilst rather ‘tired’ one evening.

I effed my Apheta2 too. House insurance sorted it, sent to Rega for a rebuild and came back as an Apheta3 for the cost of the excess. They even arranged a courier to collect it from home. Took about a month but most of that time was the insurer "assessing" the damage and deciding that their own designated repairer could not fix it.

Seems to be an epidemic of cartridge trashing this week. Someone on the system pics thread has done two.

I had my Gullwing replaced and paid £400 myself (insurance cover + additional money) for a new unit. The rest of the "repair" cost, £600, was covered by my insurance company. I sold the cart on unopened in the box because I never got on with it however much I wanted to.

Ouch! That’s got an extremely high powered neodymium magnet in it. Lucky it didn’t take all your fillings with it.

I did this to a dv10x5, claimed on the house insurance.

Rega won’t let you down on this. I’d go with them as others above. Sorry to hear about your cart though. I just realised I damaged mine a few days ago whilst rather ‘tired’ one evening.

I effed my Apheta2 too. House insurance sorted it, sent to Rega for a rebuild and came back as an Apheta3 for the cost of the excess. They even arranged a courier to collect it from home. Took about a month but most of that time was the insurer "assessing" the damage and deciding that their own designated repairer could not fix it.

Thanks both. I've read elsewhere that Rega want folk to go via a dealer and now know that is Lintone Audio (I bought the deck and cart from a Wammer, barely run in). I'll call them in the morning (and also try Rega direct).

I am reliably informed by a man who knows that my cantilever looks fine... but I've ripped my diamond out. That will be in the hoover then.

Owned an Apheta 2 for several years, always in the fear of twanging it as it was my first MC. Ironically more change of damaging it fitting the stylus guard than anything else!

I feel your pain, but have to say I sleep much better now my latest turntable has an MM cart and replaceable stylus

Just for clarification an Apheta 2 strip down and complete rebuild is £520 and an Apheta 3 rebuild is £525, an Apheta 2 cannot be rebuilt as an Apheta 3 (and vice versa)

Just for clarification an Apheta 2 strip down and complete rebuild is £520 and an Apheta 3 rebuild is £525, an Apheta 2 cannot be rebuilt as an Apheta 3 (and vice versa)

Sorry Paul, how much is it for a complete rebuild of a Rega Apheta 1, if still feasible?

Thank you.
Mauro

advertisement

Back