advertisement

Help please; speaker problem

Newboy

pfm Member
One of my beloved KEF 104/2s seems to be having a problem. The LH speaker has a much reduced volume to the RH speaker. If I transfer the cable to the RH speaker it then has reduced volume. The Quad 306
power amp was serviced and given new terminal posts by Quad in Dec 2018; the Mark Grant speaker cables bought new at the same time. I am loath to send the amp back to Quad UK because of Brexit (I live in France)
Where else can I send it if it is faulty? I have heard of something in Belgium called DADA or some such name.

Alternatively is it likely that someone local could fix it (assuming it is the amp)?

Cheers

Julian

It is not clear exactly what you have done so lets start again with the original set up. The LH speaker has reduced volume. So do the following:-

a) remove the cable from the LH speaker and put it in a drawer out of the way.
b) the RH speaker sounds O.K. right so unplug the cable at the amp end and insert it into the left channel
c) if the sound is still O/K through the RH speaker playing through the LH channel then the amp is good else if not its faulty
d) if the amp is good disconnect the cable from the RH speaker and plug it into the LH speaker if the sound is O.K. then the cable in the drawer is bad.

Cheers,

DV

Well Darth Vader, I did what you suggested. The sound was OK with RH speaker so the amp is good.

Then I tried the RH into LH speaker -OK.

Then I wired up as normal and all is working.

I have not used the stereo for at least 6 months (too busy) and now I think about it it did this before once, but righted itself without any intervention by me!

Anybody any idea of what might be going on here?

Cheers

Julian

either some bad soldering inside the amp speaker connections which has now been disturbed and is back making contact again (in which case, you may fine the sound going again soon) or maybe a poor contact because of oxidisation at the cable/plug connection OR at the speaker end. Simply removing ther cables and replacing them will give everything a bit of a clean. Try taking all cables off, cleaning the plugs and sockets well, put all back and see if all is well. One thing however....you rarely lose a little signal this way. It'ds normally either signal or no signal, so it MAY be an amp problem.

Well the plugs are virtually new but the sockets have not been cleaned for a long time. What is the best method of cleaning them?

old fashioned methods are fine...if they are gold plated or brass, a metal cleaner like 'brasso' or 'duraglit' works very well. You can buy a 'electric plug contact cleaner' quite cheaply on line I think...don't pay over the odds for a HiFi product! Bottles with fairies inside are few and far between :) When reinserting the plugs into the sockets, simply give them a good twisting as they go in...it all helps remove any oxidisation that the cleaner can't reach.

advertisement

Back