advertisement

Help needed with faulty Nait 5i

Davym

pfm Member
I bought a used nait 5i from TomTom a few weeks ago, it's been switched on constantly since i got it but was switched off by the missis earlier today.

I switched it back on when i got home and it instantly started playing up, it keeps switching from cd or whatever input is selected to tuner without touching it.

When it does this the sound is cancelled and the tuner button starts flashing.

The manual say's it's an overcurrent fault but does'nt explain what caused it or if it can be cancelled somehow.

I'll phone TomTom in the morning but till then can anyone advise me as to what may have happened, i thought these amp's where reliable too :(

Try switching it off, unplugging everything for about 20-30 minutes.

Then plug everything back in and power up.

Check all your remote controls are free and have no buttons stuck in/pressed in as well.

Thank's for the reply, i tried all that and a change of power lead and speaker cables, still does it - even with only a power supply and the speakers plugged in.

When i switch it on it works fine for 5 - 10 mins then it starts playing up :(

Looks like a warranty job to me

Isn't it strange when wives or girlfriends touch something it suddenly goes wrong. It happens with my wife sometimes. Something works faultlessly for years and as soon as she touches it bang. Hope this doesn't go into a downward spiral of innuendos and such.

Opto coupler is knackered, it's some part that connects the bottons to the circuit board, a fair few quid to replace.

Hope not, anyway it seems to have settled down for now, i left it off and disconnected for over an hour this time and when i switched it back on it did it's wierd switch over to tuner and flash thing once but seems ok (for now) i think i'll phone the bloke at Tom Tom anyway and see what he say's about it.

Cheers

Davy

Dam thing started playing up again after a couple of albums, oh well looks like it's going back then.

Yes, take it back to TomTom. I don't know what Naim's warranty is like in the UK but in the US it is "Original Retail Purchaser only". Used Naim components, no matter how old they are, have no manufacturers warranty over here.

advertisement

Back