advertisement

Help needed are kef reference worth the money ?

gwernaffield

pfm Member
Hi all, after searching around and still not coming to any conclusion, are the Kef Reference series worth the money? can you save if you buy B grade but at a high cost , as i am thinking of buying kef ref 3 , are there any better speakers around for the 7k ,cost , any alternatives i should listen too ,before buying the kef’s
cheers
peter

Whether they are 'worth the money' is impossible for anyone to judge but you: I don't think they redefine the market at £7K if that's what you mean? As to alternative choices - well there are absolutely masses, it depends what you want from them. It sounds to me like you have your doubts or you wouldn't be asking this question. Have you listened to a pair - did you like them - have you heard any other speakers at that price level?

Kef Ref 1 sounded amazing at the Bristol show but that was with a £7000 Chord Amp/DAC/streamer.

Speakers are very personal and very room, system and music dependent.

hi thank you all , there is a lot to choose from but all i have ever had was kefs, think i may try Triangle alpha as i have been told they may be better, also seem to have found some B grade kef 3 to listen too ,
cheers peter

I presume your £7000 is to buy new.
I'm pretty happy with my 15 year old KEF Refs (reference model 3~2) but I've thought about replacing them with a newer model.
Older KEFs such as mine have a very clean and clinical sound - fine for my taste but a bit too much for some people/systems. I believe KEF have changed philosophy from that type of sound to a more accommodating one, and I believe the Ref3's come with no grilles so may also not be aesthetically pleasing to some people.
Let us know what you go for - I'd like to hear your impression of the KEF3.

hi thank you all , there is a lot to choose from but all i have ever had was kefs, think i may try Triangle alpha as i have been told they may be better, also seem to have found some B grade kef 3 to listen too ,
cheers peter

Take the advice from above and listen to some speakers to get a,erm, reference. I could recommend some speakers but it's best you get an idea of what's what yourself. KEFs and Triangles aren't very similar. You can like both but a lot of people polarise a bit to neutral v musical speakers. However even giving those labels might send the wrong message!!

What speakers are you using now and why do you want to change them? The obvious answer is not to start with MF equipment.........

I would definitely audition some Proac's too as they have different qualities to the Kef's, which you may find enlightening if you have been a Kef fan for years.

Its down to your personal taste, so get auditioning and enjoy yourself.

The 104.2 is well worth the money you may have to pay for a good used pair!

Bit less than 7K though.

I personally think it's hard to justify the prices of new speakers given the used bargains to be had these days, particularly if you're prepared to accommodate large boxes.

My "new(ish) equipment" budget has been reserved for better sources for at least the last 15 years with very good results.

Be never heard Kef speakers for at least ten years so can't comment. What I can say is that I have four pair of Usher speakers (three pairs of floorstanders, some bookshelves plus a centre) and they are the best bang for bucks in the market IMHO.

My main speakers are the BE10s. I'd never sell them because I'd need to spend £20k to get anything comparable. The Ushers are OK to drive, built to a staggering quality, look beautiful and sound sublime. Best speakers I've ever had. You could pick up a 2nd hand pair of BE10s well within your budget and I honestly believe they'd blow away the KEFs you're considering. Try to audition some or of you're anywhere near the North East you'd be welcome to listen to mine

Usher RRP = comparable to other brands at 2x to 4x price. I couldn't believe it when my then current pair of Usher Mini Dancer 2 DMDs could keep up with B&Ws 802d2s. Shame they start having footprints of a washing machine as you go up the range.

If you are going to drop £7K on speakers you want to be having a good look/listen around first. Certainly not basing your decision on what forum members tell you.

Cheers BB

Usher RRP = comparable to other brands at 2x to 4x price. I couldn't believe it when my then current pair of Usher Mini Dancer 2 DMDs could keep up with B&Ws 802d2s. Shame they start having footprints of a washing machine as you go up the range.

Haha. The big ones are "imposing" but that's part of the attraction for me. I agree that you can multiply by several with Usher's RRP

The Mini Dancer 2s are fabulous and not too big. What did you replace them with?

I've heard the Reference 1 and was very impressed, but I'm also a fan of the R series and the Blades. For this budget though you've got to listen to lots and see what you prefer.

Haha. The big ones are "imposing" but that's part of the attraction for me. I agree that you can multiply by several with Usher's RRP

The Mini Dancer 2s are fabulous and not too big. What did you replace them with?

KEF Blades. Yup, had to spend that much to make a significant jump.

The blades are taller but a few months in place and you forget they're present due to slim statue.

Uniq is stunningly good. Combined with bass drivers that could also keep up in apparent point source configuration = heavenly.

Old uniq can't be compared. I couldn't stand the previous generation uniq that's for sure.

advertisement

Back