advertisement

HELP: Naim Supernait2 + TeddyCap + StageLine

wirbeltier

pfm Member
Friends,

I encounter some problems when installing my newly acquired LP 12 with my Naim StageLine and the SN2 + TeddyCap.

I simply connected the AUX2 (power out) with the StageLine as foreseen in the manual, and then connected my LP 12 with the StageLine.

I have sound, yes, but very dull and lacking any high frequencies. What did I do wrong?

Help please :confused:

Have you checked that the cartridge is matched to the StageLine
What is the cart make & model
What spec is the StageLine K, S, E or N

Stageline N is the MM stageline I have too, that fits an Adikt and should run with a Goldring 2300 without problems.

Seems you have connected the Stageline correct, I don't see what's wrong the moment.

Check the earth connections and could it be your needletip is covered in dirt entirely..?

Otherwise I have no clue the moment..

Goldring 2300 is an MM cart with little higher output than average MM carts, but should not be a problem - Stageline N is also MM phono stage, so those should work together.

Did you install the cardridge yourself?
Perhaps check all wirings first?

When looking up the manual on the SN2, it says specifically AUX2 is a (5/pin) 'in and power out' type of connection.
Hmm.
Could you use another input perhaps to see if you're not using the wrong type of port?

If you're using a phono stage, any input (CD, Tuner, HDD) should work.

Be careful though as not all din ports will fit with your cable I'd think.

Stageline N is the MM stageline I have too, that fits an Adikt and should run with a Goldring 2300 without problems.

I'm not familiar with the SN2, but could it be you need to apply some 'connector button' in the rear of the SN to activate the Power supply on AUX2?

Can you describe were you connected the Teddy Cap in which way ?

... I suspect this is the solution...

The 'connector bridge' has to be removed and is replaced with the TeddyCap connector cables. Thus, the AUX2 is not powered anymore.

Could that be it?

A dull LP12 sound like a setup issue

...what do you think of specifically?

I mean, it is not dull in terms of presentation or nuance. There simply are no high frequencies present. As if the loudspeakers have no working tweeters anymore (of course, I checked and they are fine :) ).

Thanks

Possibly, yes :)

I'm not familiar with the SN2, so I thought posting it was silly,
but if you have a connector bridge & you use an external PS, it should probably be removed..?

Sure, the bridge is removed so that the pre is now powered externally. Therefore the AUX2 might not be powered anymore...

I will check and remove the external power supply to confirm this hypothesis :)

sure you're aware but make sure you power down completely before disconnecting / reconnecting etc

...I'd rather simply power down the TC, remove the bridge and power up the TC again,
then you should have early Christmas, perhaps. :)

Nah, that's not it. The TC also powers the AUX2.

Back to square 1 and boegelund's setup assumption.

The deck has been set-up properly and sounded fabulous. Then it had a couple of hours by car with the counterweight and the platter removed.

.....erh...but you set up the counterweight by putting the arm in perfect ballance w/o anti-skate, first..?

0 tracking force, 0 anti skate,

move the counterweight till the arm levels out qusi gravity-less parralel to the platter surface, take care for the needle in this, one wrong move and the needle bangs somewhere and is gone
take care..
once you have that put the arm in its rest position & apply ~1,75 tracking force and 1,75 anti-skate.

Then try playing a record..if it still sounds strange, get some more advice

sry, it sounded a bit as if you just stuck it on and tried
in this virtual 2 dimensionality I have little clue of everyone's XP, with some exceptions.
no offence if I start from 0 by caution

good luck :)

Can you check with either another deck, cart or phono stage?
To exclude any of those as the possible suspect.

I set-up the deck properly and with care after the transport. Maybe the needle has not survived it? I will remove it and put it on again, have no replacement cart to test. Will go to a dealer for advice and maybe loan another phono stage...

thanks all for your patience and for bearing with me!

advertisement

Back