advertisement

Help in buying a thin felt mat.

Mikee

pfm Member
I've been trying some different mats on my turntable, an Audio Note TT2, and found a really thin felt mat sounds the best. Trouble is, I think it might have been given away with Practical Hifi in the 70's. It's about 11 inches across and certainly not round. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a new one. I'm sure it's thinner than an LP12 mat, but I believe the current Linn mat has gone thinner. The TT2 is designed to work without a mat, but not to my ears. Thanks, Mike

Perhaps a gramaphone mat might be what your'e looking for try googling companies that sell/restore them.

1. Go to craft store
2. Purchase quantity of felt of desired thinness (I prefer pure wool but a blend might be OK)
3. Buy sufficiency of beer on the way home
4. Fabricate mat using LP as template (assuming you want one of 12" diameter)
5. Place freshly minted mat on TT2
6. Put record on
7. Open beer and enjoy fruits of labours and, with luck, the music

OTOH, may be less hassle to buy one prefabricated, such as from aforementioned Rega dealer?

An advantage of going to a craft store is that you should be able to buy cork and thin leather as well to turn into mats, and have fun trying them all out.

Think I'll try a Rega one first, but a home made jobby sounds quite appealing. I can have a few attempts at getting it round! Is the Rega one for a specific model? I see the one for the 9/10 is different.

Pssst: Look for a Project Mat, same thing as Rega (colors available too) but about a third of the price.

Is a Linn felt mat fat then?

Rega Planar mats were thicker for the 3 than the 2 but so were the platters if I recall.

What sort of help do you want BTW? Do you want me to buy it for you? I don't have your TT so really any other TT is of no help I assume.

Just a suggestion, but have a listen to a PEEK turntable mat from MusicWorks. They are paper thin, so don't affect VTA too much if the TT is designed to work without a mat, and I think they produce some very interesting results. Not cheap, but worth checking out.

There is also the origin live mat which is extremely thin at 1mm and made from some sort of cork/fibre material. Only problem with really thin mats is they stick to the record everytime you lift it. I ended up using double sided tape on my origin live mat but have now switched to a 3mm achromat.

Just buy a Linn mat.
Run one of those sticky clothes rollers over it a few times.
If thats not enough? then steam iron it with a tea towel on top.
You will be surprised at how thin you can make one go if you put your mind to it.

Then pass it through a super powerful Van de Graaff generator and see how fat you can make it :).

advertisement

Back