advertisement

Help identify these connectors

firestorm

pfm Member
The numb nut who originally installed this left absolutely no slack in the cable, so I'd like to extend the cable so that I can get the cover on without overstretching them and make the connection more reliable.

I know these are very common, or at least used to be in PCs and all manner of electronic equipment for decades.
Any one know what they're called or even better still have some of these kicking around?

Four pin molex circuit board header on the left; this link is for the piece attached to the board, I haven't found the matching cable connector, or the 8-pin yet, but it shouldn't be far away at this site ....

I think the cable connectors are under the heading "Molex Headers, Receptacles, Female Sockets" there, but haven't found exact match

They are Molex, but they make a huge range of different pin to pin pitches. Carefully measure to see if you are looking at 2.54mm or 2mm

I have some of these Molex housings in 4 and 8 way. The pins are crimp types. I could crimp some like coloured tails on if you are going to extend the existing connections..

I have some of these Molex housings in 4 and 8 way. The pins are crimp types. I could crimp some like coloured tails on if you are going to extend the existing connections..

That would be super - If I do it carefully, I should be able to reuse the connector. I'll de-pin the existing connector, solder, heat shrink and plug the new tail into the existing one.

Re-use is usually awkward, both the pins and receptacles usually have barbs which make extraction difficult and often snaps the barb off. Extraction frequently cuts a grrove in the plastic shell so that any pin or receptacle inserted, does not lock in place.

But never say never.

This type of connector is actually easy to re-use as the pin (actually a side contact) is easily removed by depressing the visible tab. However Molex make at least two versions with incompatible contacts and an awful lot of "Molex" connectors are actually made by other manufacturers with further contact variants.

But they all look similar and fit the same board header.

Re-use is usually awkward, both the pins and receptacles usually have barbs which make extraction difficult and often snaps the barb off. Extraction frequently cuts a grrove in the plastic shell so that any pin or receptacle inserted, does not lock in place.

But never say never.

Push the barbs down by inserting the tip of a scalpel into the slot and push them back up before reinserting. Getting the cable grips to release the wire is the tricky bit.

I used to open the outer sleaving grip up cut the wire as flush as I could and solder the new wire ontop of the wire grip, then crimp the wire with the sleaving grip, looks factory from a distance.

Pete

advertisement

Back