advertisement

Help, I have become even dumber!

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Hi,
Can't upload to Flickr. It spends hours thinking about it then throws me out on my a**e with a message about the 'link to the server being re-set' or summat. Anyway. A look at Flickr Help hints that it might be something to do with AVG Free. (Well not AVG Free specifically which I just installed) but it mentions security software, and Norton (which I just deleted) never caused a problem so...
Thing is, it suggests trying to set up Flickr as an 'exception', but I have no clue how to do this in AVG. Any geeks out there who speak computerish?

Arch, I hadn't uploaded anything to Flickr for a long time. I've also got AVG free. I just uploaded a picture I took of Dylan Thomas' boathouse at Laugharne. It uploaded in seconds with absolutely no problems. I know that, if you have certain firewalls (such as Zone Alarm), you need to tell it all the sites it should let you interact with, otherwise it treats them as security risks. I got fed up with Zone Alarm for that reason, and now have a Windows firewall which isn't so hands-on. As I have AVG Free, we can surely conclude that it isn't that.

Does seem to be playing up a bit - I've been getting "the document is empty" and connection broken.
The other thing seems to be the picture uploads and then sticks at 99% - if you open another window you can see the pic in your stream though. Been happening for the last couple of weeks.

The simple old standalone uploader v2.5.0.15 is way better and faster than any of the crappy new version(s). I've kept a copy if anyone wants one (715kb).

Last night, I just uploaded by clicking the option Upload among the various menus at the foot of the Flickr page, which brought up a browsing window with your own files in it. I'd forgotten that, when I first joined Flickr, there was an actual tool that you could download and install on your own computer. That was on a now defunct machine anyway.

yeah, the later version of the uploaders are a PITA...must be because they add pics into groups etc that slows every but sometimes it even crashes... :(

Mullardman, Have you cut down the files to a reasonable size. I always use an editor to reduce the image sixe by a factor of then the save at 50% quality when I use my photo programme.

I am sure one of the automatic flicr uploading programme cuts the file size down but if you do the work yourself its bound to be easier (isn't it?).

Mike.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk214/mudlark_57/th_xover7.jpg

xover7.jpg

The top is a direct copy of the website address of the image. The second is by copying and pasting the Image address from the photobucket site. The second is a better size on the screen so I generally use that method.

The detail in the second picture gives a good idea of the original but uploads to the picture site very quickly. To increase the size of the image on the screen you can use "control +" (two keys) and this will increase the size. If you need to send a better quality picture to someone then I use email to send a higher resolution picture.

A lot of your problems could be due to you using too good a camera with very high resolution giving very large file sizes. If this is the problem you should also be able to set up the camera to save smaller file sizes. The problem with this is when you are taking important pictures of the family or the hols you will end up with crap. Good luck.

Mike

If you have a large file, such as a bitmap, or a photo taken by a very good camera resulting in a big file size, open it in Microsoft Paint. I have that on my XP machine, but I don't know if it still comes with Vista. Click "Save as," then save it as a JPEG, before uploading it to Photobucket, Flickr etc.

If you have a large file, such as a bitmap, or a photo taken by a very good camera resulting in a big file size, open it in Microsoft Paint. I have that on my XP machine, but I don't know if it still comes with Vista. Click "Save as," then save it as a JPEG, before uploading it to Photobucket, Flickr etc.

Vista contains a built in photo viewer that can resize jpegs ....
Personally I use photoshop although freeware like paint shop pro (version 5 can be found free) also supports Unsharp mask which is useful to use after resizing to sharpen up the edges which get corrupted by throwing away pixels

Another tip with JPEG files is that, every time you open them, they get degraded. If you want to manipulate an image file, do all the work in Bitmap format, and only convert to JPEG when it's the way you like it.

Another tip with JPEG files is that, every time you open them, they get degraded. If you want to manipulate an image file, do all the work in Bitmap format, and only convert to JPEG when it's the way you like it.

The degradation from opening and just viewing them is not an issue, editing maybe so but also very small too. Also correct me if I am wrong here but when you save a picture file it remains on your HD, when you open it you simply get a copy of that image in your physical memory, NOT the original image file. When you have finished viewing the file you close it thereby erasing the image file from physical memory and leaving the original image file on your HD totally untouched. The only time you can degrade or change that original image file on your HD is by the save function whereby the original file gets overwritten...

The only time you can degrade or change that original image file on your HD is by the save function whereby the original file gets overwritten...

The vista viewer will update the image if you have done some changes - eg cropping - even if you press tab right or left to view the next image even if you weren't intending to change it.

Hi chaps.
The other night I just picked a random pic from my PC and Flickr successfuly uploaded it using the 'basic uploader' (at the bottom of the upload page).

I next tried with three pics that I actually wanted to upload and it failed with the same message as before.

Eventually, I tried switching off bits of AVG. I can't see an option for temporarily disabling it, but there is a an option to get the various AVG components to switch from 'active', to 'ignore component state' . whatever that means...

Anyway.. I managed to get three pics up onto Flickr and then switched the components of AVG back to normal

I'm not convinced that it was AVG though. All seems a bit random to me.

Mull

advertisement

Back