advertisement

Help diagnosing noise from Sony amp please?

Hello everyone.

I’m new to this forum and not sure if this query is in the right place but mods will no doubt put me on the right track so here goes….

I have a Sony TA-F246E Amplifier that I bought new in 1996. It has Sony ST-5261 Tuner, Sony TC-K561S Tape Cassette deck, Technics SL-PD887 CD Changer and Garrard AP76 turntable connected to it. Not High-End stuff but it does what I want.

The amp has been working fine until recently when it has developed a peculiar noise. The noise is heard just after the “Power” button is pressed, when the light turns from red to green. The noise sounds like a constant low volume clicking (kind of like a Geiger counter?) accompanied by a slight hum that rises and falls in a regular pattern about once a second. This noise continues if I then power up any of the other components that are connected to the amp. The amp seems to put the chosen audio signal through the speakers as usual but whenever there is a pause in the music or radio, I can hear this background noise.

Any ideas as to what is wrong here?

Is it worth getting someone to look at it or would it be more cost effective to just pick up another second-hand amplifier?

Cheers

Ian

So the hum rises and falls in strength, not frequency? And you don't have a phone charger or other cheap switching supply nearby?

My guess would be that some electrolytic capacitor has dried out. Not that hard to finx - once you find the right one.

Ian,

As no one has replied, I'll give my amateur assessment :)

The cost of sending and returning your 18 year old amp to/from an engineer would be more than it's worth, let alone the cost of fixing it.

Look for a modern equivalent that takes your fancy, or just scan the classifieds here for a bargain.

That's what I'd do.

Ah, perfect timing. Julf, all well if you can DIY!

Timing is everything! :)

But yes, I agree with you, if you can't DIY or know a friend who can, it is probably cheaper and easier to buy any of the decent, reasonably priced modern amps.

I just seem to have this thing about not wanting to throw away stuff that could easily be fixed. Just feels too consumerist.

I do volunteer at a local Repair Cafe on odd weekends, helping fix stuff that people bring in. Audio gear is fun to fix, but there are just too many cheap CD players where the rubber band has expired - and if I see another Nespresso machine, I will scream...

Thanks Julf and Vital.

I would love to put it right if it was a simple fix 'cos I don't like the idea of chucking something away unless it is well and truly knackered.
Unfortunately I don't know enough to be able to trace a fault - unless its fairly straight forward!

You have confirmed my suspicions that time to sort it out would be more than it is worth so I'll take your advice and look for another replacement.

But before throwing it away, how do you test the capacitors? Is it something I can do with my digital multi-meter while the circuit board is intact or would each one have to be disconnected before testing? If there is a way I could methodically test each one until I find a duff one then just replace like-for-like, I would have a go.

Cheers,

Ian

I do volunteer at a local Repair Cafe on odd weekends, helping fix stuff that people bring in. Audio gear is fun to fix, but there are just too many cheap CD players where the rubber band has expired - and if I see another Nespresso machine, I will scream...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=N...DBIKBOJD-gfgN&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=931&bih=616

Darmok, his ears plugged!!

Good on you Julf, it is nice working on repairing audio / pro sound gear, I used to do it for my living amongst other things, don't go inhaling too much solder flux will you?

;)

But before throwing it away, how do you test the capacitors? Is it something I can do with my digital multi-meter while the circuit board is intact or would each one have to be disconnected before testing? If there is a way I could methodically test each one until I find a duff one then just replace like-for-like, I would have a go.

To test in-circuit, a multimeter is not really enough - I would resort to an oscilloscope.

Cruel!

it is nice working on repairing audio / pro sound gear

Yes, especially the pro gear is really a joy to work on. What I hate are all the cheap appliances that clearly were never intended to be taken apart. Did I mention nespresso machines?

don't go inhaling too much solder flux will you?

Somebody should have told me that when I was 15... Oh well, just add that to the asbestos from the brakes of the old, crap cars I worked on, and all the cigarette smoke from the long nights of working sound & light at discos and shows...

I would love to put it right if it was a simple fix 'cos I don't like the idea of chucking something away unless it is well and truly knackered.

Absolutely agree with this "green" sentiment.

One option is to offer it for a few quid to someone here who has the skills - in the classified ads.

You might even find someone like Julf who does it as a hobby and can sell you something in exchange?

Just an idea!

p.s. You'll need to contribute a few more posts and a couple of months first. Sensible rules to protect the regulars from scammers (not you I'm sure :) )

Thanks for all your suggestions.

If it can really only be sorted using an oscilloscope that definitely puts DIY out of the equation for me!

No matter. I've just seen exactly the same amp on the bay (hope I'm not fouling any rules here as I know some forums don't like mention of that place) so could probably find something similar to do the job.

Vital - thanks for your suggestion. I like the idea of someone else getting some use out of it, even if only for parts. I've already got another thread going as it looks like my renewed interest in sorting my Dad's record collection is resulting in other interesting spin-offs.

And there seems to be plenty of stuff on here (and, to be fair, on a couple of other similar forums that I've recently joined) that is very useful to relative beginners like me.

I look forward to learning plenty in the coming months.

Cheers

Ian

advertisement

Back