advertisement

Hegel H390

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with the hegel h390? Have been reading reviews of it and they are extremely positive though haven't seen much chat on this forum. Not looking to purchase myself but just curious. Has anyone ever compared to other similar priced amps?

Think this amp is making my future system wish list.

Yes did notice that but not looking to buy at the moment, that would be a major system overhaul, something I might do in a few years.

Would really like to listen to one, wonder how the sound would compare to something like a naim SN3?

They seem to pair often with Kef speakers too I have noticed.

No I have an Elex-r but thought SN3 would be a fair comparison vs the hegel as the hegel has more functionality but is more expensive too.

The Elex is allready a great involving amp, depending on speakers you might gain more looking at source upgrade if not optimised.
Perhaps include the Aethos in game.

Fwiw, some of clients have chosen Peachtree Audio’s nova300 and nova500 (Wi-Fi streaming modules for the nova series should be available next month) over the H390.

For an analogue amplifier at this level Sugden Audio’s Masterclass ANV-50 is also worth throwing into the mix.

No I have an Elex-r but thought SN3 would be a fair comparison vs the hegel as the hegel has more functionality but is more expensive too.

I’m not sure it would be a fair contest. I haven’t heard the SuperNAIT 3, but a SuperNAIT 2 was beaten by the H190 in one recent customer demo. The H390 is a significant step on from the H190.

Are you within range of Manchester? I’d be happy to let you have a listen to my H390.

I have had a dealer demo of the old model (360) driving the latest Dynaudio Contour stand-mounts. The system sounded amazing. Up there with the best I have heard.

They seem to pair often with Kef speakers too I have noticed.

I am not aware of any special relationship between Hegel and KEF, but it is common for manufacturers to partner up and share space and equipment at hifi shows. Where brands have a distributor in common, you are more likely to see them together. Then you have journalists who select partnering equipment that they think goes well with the product being reviewed, like this recent example from John Darko...

https://darko.audio/2019/10/a-short-film-about-the-hegel-h390-kef-reference-1/

Hegel amps work happily with speakers from lots of different manufacturers. I know people using Hegel amplifiers with speakers from Harbeth, Amphion, Graham Audio, B&W, Dali, Focal, Neat, Magnepan, Monitor Audio, Kudos, ATC, Shahinian, MBL, Wilson Benesch, PMC and KEF, and those are just the examples that I can recall off the top of my head.

I have had a dealer demo of the old model (360) driving the latest Dynaudio Contour stand-mounts. The system sounded amazing. Up there with the best I have heard.

I had the same demo as well and I was very impressed : very natural and transparent, female voices were just perfect.
Nevertheless, for my personal taste (mostly hard rock, jazz rock and blues) I prefer the Supernait 1 or 2 on speakers with paper cone woofers. And with a Hicap to feed the Supernait : perfect happiness !
Never had the opportunity to listen to a Sugden Masterclass though.

I’m not sure it would be a fair contest. I haven’t heard the SuperNAIT 3, but a SuperNAIT 2 was beaten by the H190 in one recent customer demo. The H390 is a significant step on from the H190.

Are you within range of Manchester? I’d be happy to let you have a listen to my H390.
No not really close enough to justify the journey unless I was looking to make a purchase. Thanks for the offer though, if I am down that way I will take you up on that though.

I am not aware of any special relationship between Hegel and KEF, but it is common for manufacturers to partner up and share space and equipment at hifi shows. Where brands have a distributor in common, you are more likely to see them together. Then you have journalists who select partnering equipment that they think goes well with the product being reviewed, like this recent example from John Darko...

https://darko.audio/2019/10/a-short-film-about-the-hegel-h390-kef-reference-1/

Hegel amps work happily with speakers from lots of different manufacturers. I know people using Hegel amplifiers with speakers from Harbeth, Amphion, Graham Audio, B&W, Dali, Focal, Neat, Magnepan, Monitor Audio, Kudos, ATC, Shahinian, MBL, Wilson Benesch, PMC and KEF, and those are just the examples that I can recall off the top of my head.

I am really curious about Hegel as am considering changing a Linn Akurate DSM/Exposure 3010s2 for an all in one solution. The H390 looks appealing. Do they stream Tidal and Qobuz and Internet Radio natively? Which control app do they use?

I use a pair of Spendor S8e which seem to like the Exposure pairing.

I am really curious about Hegal as am considering changing a Linn Akurate DSM/Exposure 3010s2 for an all in one solution. The H390 looks appealing. Do they stream Tidal and Qobuz and Internet Radio natively? Which control app do they use?

I use a pair of Spendor S8e which seem to like the Exposure pairing.

The built-in streamer supports DLNA/UPnP, AirPlay and Spotify Connect. Pretty soon it will support Roon too. You have lots of apps to choose from. mConnect Player and BubbleUPnP are two popular options which provide the features you require. I like Roon (via AirPlay for now) and Audirvana but those both require a bit more kit.

The built-in streamer supports DLNA/UPnP, AirPlay and Spotify Connect. Pretty soon it will support Roon too. You have lots of apps to choose from. mConnect Player and BubbleUPnP are two popular options which provide the features you require. I like Roon (via AirPlay for now) and Audirvana but those both require a bit more kit.

Hmm not really the level of spec I was expecting to be honest, which is a shame as I don't want to have to rely on Roon or AirPlay. I am an iOS user so Bubble UPnP is out for me.

What's your assessment of the Auralic stuff compared to the Hegel - what would be a comparable unit with the features I am after. Do they decode MQA also (am not bothered, just curious as I use Tidal).

Hmm not really the level of spec I was expecting to be honest, which is a shame as I don't want to have to rely on Roon or AirPlay. I am an iOS user so Bubble UPnP is out for me.

What's your assessment of the Auralic stuff compared to the Hegel - what would be a comparable unit with the features I am after. Do they decode MQA also (am not bothered, just curious as I use Tidal).

Hegel’s streamer works as an endpoint with various streaming technologies. It is not intended to be a complete self-contained system. Crucially, it works reliably and it sounds great. Their AirPlay implementation is exceptional. mconnect Player is available for iOS.

Auralic’s Lightning platform is conceptually much like Linn’s. They have their own app as well as support for third party apps and integrations. Auralic’s Lightning DS app is superb and makes Kazoo look rather dated.

Auralic does not currently offer an integrated amplifier. Auralic is not an MQA licensee, but Auralic’s software is MQA aware and they have some proprietary processing for MQA content.

I haven’t heard the SuperNAIT 3, but a SuperNAIT 2 was beaten by the H190 in one recent customer demo. The H390 is a significant step on from the H190.

The H360 (£4000) offers superior power and performance over the H190 (£3200). In over two years of Supernait 2 (£3249) v H360 demos none of our clients chose a H360 over a Supernait 2 regardless of source components or loudspeakers used with both amplifiers.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back