advertisement

Heavy c/weight for 3009 II

Gromit

Plasticine Dog
I'm finding with my 3009 II (non-imp) that the counterweight is sat a fair way back on the stub and would like to bring it closer to the bearing housing. Reason for this is that I'm using a Sumiko HS12 headshell (considerably massier than the SME one) and would also like to start looking at something like a 103 at some point - itself a reasonably heavy and mass-needing cartridge. At the moment I'm using an Audio Note IQ3 which whilst a good cartridge, it doesn't really float my boat.

I see on the SME parts list this c/w is available...

1902/HWR P0554/HWR Balance Weight (Heavy) A/R

...which is clearly marked as the heavy weight. Now, the std weight for the non-imp Series II is

1902 P0554/S2 Balance Weight (Standard) S2/S2

Trouble is I'm not sure if the heavy weight is for the Improved arm - of course this a good deal lighter in terms of effective mass than the non-imp (6.5g vs 12.5g) so what is heavy for one, won't be for the other.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Many thanks. :)

I'm not sure, it's something you'd have to phone them on. They are really helpful. Have you got the extra clip-on rider weight fitted? That adds a good amount of weight to the back of the arm. If not that's where I'd start. It's about 35 quid. With the extra rider weight added it will apparently balance out an SPU.

Tony.

Thanks Tony - unfortunately I don't have the extra rider weight, just the single one on the way rod. For 35 quid it's not going to break the bank to get the extra one though, and if this is enough to make a difference then it'll be worthwhile. :)

It's pretty heavy and should almost certainly do what you need - I've just tried to weigh one on my rather crude spring and dial 5kg scales (the ones I use for weighing vinyl orders) and I reckon it's getting on for 20g.

Tony.

PS if you haven't replaced the rubber decoupling yet get that as well as it will probably fail once you show it the extra rider weight!

I think the extra weight for the 3009 - II only fits the pre-imp, that's got the weight with a peg attached for further weights, iirc. I think the inproved is just a weight with no peg, attached via the spring loaded pip.

That's correct - it's the pre-Improved we are discussing here, like this one on my TD-124:

4240656570_aa2b736e85_o.jpg

Tony.

Yup - the very one Tony...

CRW_4581.jpg

I have been slightly concerned about the de-coupling rubber - the way rod/rider weight once tightened up does tend to 'pull' the c/weight/stub round a fair bit. Will order one whilst I get the extra weight, seems like a relatively straightforward job to do. :)

advertisement

Back