advertisement

Heart of the Congos - soulful reggae brilliance

Uncle Ants

I'm a Shop Keeper
Picked up the Simply Vinyl issue of Heart of the Congos by the Congos at the weekend from Selectadisc (there's a CD version too I believe) and have to say its one of the best LPs I've picked up for a long while.

The first track (Fisherman) sets the standard very high - starts off a bit disco funky and then just morphs into this fabulous reggae groove with some incredibly subtle and beatiful keychanges running through it, with the most soulful falsetto singing and three part harmonies. Then toward the end of the track your jaw just drops when the bass vocal comes in. The rest of the album then continues in a similar groove - 100% roots reggae and 110% pure Soul Music.

Soundwise not bad at all - they actually give an account of what they did with the tapes in the liner notes which mentions some of the difficulties they had, but whilst its not the hiest of fi, it sounds great to me.

Lee Perry produced at the height of his powers and the whole album just drips "Black Ark". Highly recommended.

Absolutely superb record - Blood & Fire reissued it on cd I believe. It is the soulful element that really makes it what it is. Must seek out another copy as my cd has gone walkies.

Jim

It's a great album. There's an alternate dub of 'Congoman' in the Lee Perry Arkology set (3rd disc I think) too, which is worth tracking down.

As for soulful reggae - try Third World's 96 degrees in the shade

Originally posted by martin clark
It's a great album. There's an alternate dub of 'Congoman' in the Lee Perry Arkology set (3rd disc I think) too, which is worth tracking down.

As for soulful reggae - try Third World's 96 degrees in the shade

Cheers Martin. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Originally posted by sideshowbob
The Arkology set is essential stuff.

-- Ian

Pricy though isn't it? Dunno maybe I should, but I have a slight aversion to box sets and compilations, still could be a useful pointer to seeking out albums proper I guess.

There are a fair few average Upsetter compilations about, but the Arkology box is killer stuff from start to finish, worth every penny. He's made and produced a huge number of fantastic records, but there's some to avoid too, his quality control was never the highest (something to do with being permanently stoned I would guess). Of the solo stuff, you can't go wrong with Super Ape or Roast Fish Collie Weed And Cornbread.

Totally agree about Heart of the Congos, beautiful album.

-- Ian

Originally posted by sideshowbob

<snip>

Of the solo stuff, you can't go wrong with Super Ape or Roast Fish Collie Weed And Cornbread.

uhuh. Sounds like the akology box needs to go in the shopping cart - is there a vinyl version or just silver beermats?

Super Ape is a great record (especially when placed next to War in a Babylon, from which it seems some of the dubs were pinched).

Roast Fish Collie Weed And Cornbread? Another to look out for. I hope Auntie doesn't get bored of Reggae :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Uncle Ants
uhuh. Sounds like the akology box needs to go in the shopping cart - is there a vinyl version or just silver beermats?

I've never heard of a vinyl version, but, for once, I didn't worry about it much :)

-- Ian

To me "Heart of the Congos" is one of my favourite albums, but as I have been upgrading my equipment this CD has revealed a somewhat problematic, tireing, messy sound. Maybe it sounds better with Naim equipment? I'm a bit irritated with my hifi right now.

Arkology is a must-have. Scratch is a genius.

I saw him last at the Jazz Cafe a couple of years ago - still endearingly crazee after all these years. He had what looked like a tea trolley with various props on. Mad Professor span a really great little set afterwards: great sweaty evening!

Jim

advertisement

Back