advertisement

Heard the KEF blades and PMC 20 series

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this tired, old myth.

"Myth" LOL.

You're allowed to be wrong Dave :D but seen my favourite artists in good v poor venues - the sound is chalk and cheese, no amount of flat earth dogma about source changes will alter that. I know it doesn't fit with your corporate brief.

"Myth" LOL.

You're allowed to be wrong Dave :D but seen my favourite artists in good v poor venues - the sound is chalk and cheese, no amount of flat earth dogma about source changes will alter that. I know it doesn't fit with your corporate brief.

No corporate brief Steve, simply the way I value what I hear. Bass and treble swings don't rank very high for me compared to compressed and electronic sound missing details.

It isn't just bass and treble swings ime Dave, besides only really poor sources would have info go missing to any great extent.

Mostly bass and treble swings to me Steve with anything else pretty much just as unimportant as long as the speakers don't grossly violate the manufacturer's setup instructions.

Regarding source quality...from what I've heard sampling today's cheap sources, many are better than their counterparts from decades ago but still just as far from the best quality sources as they've always been. My SB Touch for example is excellent on its own but can't compete when compared to a fifteen year old entry high-end CDP much less a better CDP.

regards,

dave

Take your hifi outside into your garden and see how it sounds.

Exactly the same???

Butuz

I've actually done this in the day when I had free-standing speakers neverminding playing outdoor venues in my youth as an electric guitarist in rock bands.

It certainly changes the sound just like swapping any pair of speakers for another changes the sound in a room of any sort. I just don't find that the changes with better speakers past a certain point increases musical enjoyment at all.

I hesitate to use price tags, enclosure size or drive-types to relay what that point in quality is but roughly anything beyond Linn Kans do little for me from a pleasure standpoint to be honest. They're all pathetically inadequate. Whatever benefits one design might offer another is so frought with major issues in other respects it's simply a miserable swap for one set of problems vs another (think electrostatics with increased transparency but little bass and output limitations or large transmission lines with the ability to project low frequency wave fronts but crippled by the same old opaque moving coil mids and grainy tweeters). That's why I think speakers are the weakest link and vastly over-rated in importance.

I do think when someone makes the Next Big Leap like Peter Walker did we're all going to be in for a shock.

My thoughts from another forum on the Blades shown at the FH night-

Well heard the Blades earlier tonight, have to say very very impressed, and that was with 4x Cyrus X300s (which I am not a massive fan) and on a suspended floor, but oh so tight bass, very punchy and very very deep/controlled. They go very loud without any hint of compression! There seemed to be something missing, sounded a little to hard in the treble sometimes, but this could be down to the Cyrus amps. Would be interesting to hear them with electrocompaniet, which I know Kef use in some of their testing.
The new R-Series was also making some good noises, but it was with Naim XS pre-power, again not my favourite choices.
Was not a fan of the new PMC twenty twenty speakers at all!

Probably why I was hanging around the blades all night clutching a few CD's.
(As a background, I used to work at Frank Harveys but have no connection to them now apart from being an occasional customer)

If you want to isolate any possible Cyrus 'effect' you need to compare it to another amplifier in the same system set up and using the same listening position, properly level matched and preferably blind. Consistently pick out hard and forward top end under such condition for the Cyrus amplifier and you have indeed established that it isn't neutral.

Actually not. We have just established that the two amplifiers in question does not sound the same. It can as well be the other amp that colors the sound and not the Cyrus one. Or both, which is most probable.

We still know nothing.

To do what you are after, we have to do a Before/After test. Just as we did in the good old days when recording to cassette. There we compared the cassette player with the famous short bit of wire via use of the monitor button. We did NOT compare two cassette players with each other to figure out when the bias was right as everybody understands that would have been meaningless.
We need to do the same thing, but with a power amp. Listening with and without the amp in the chain. It gives it's own set of problems, though. Damping down the level so the gain is exactly 0 dB is quite easy, but to make the test meaningful we need to simulate a real speaker load with a varying impedance. And to make it REALLY meaningful we need to simulate the load from the speaker we are going to use the amp with! We then has to do the test with various power levels from the amp. And probably some more parameters to take into acount that eludes my mind right now.

Or just do as most sane persons, just listen to the music and have fun.

JohanR

advertisement

Back