advertisement

Headphone System

sgb1

I have a spare small narrow bedroom 11x7 approx which I intend to convert to a study/music room.
Due to size limitations I am considering using it only as a headphone system based around the Naim Unitiqute 2 (music streaming and internet radio mainly)
What i would like to ask fellow forum members is how good is the Unitiqute via headphone listening or would it be better to buy a standalone headphone amp ?
Just like to add that I am still a novice at this streaming business and still learning.
All opinions would be very much appreciated,
Kind Regards
Bob

Best thing to do is find a Dealer and have a listen. I haven't heard the unit your going to use but in the past a good head amp will out perform an in built socket. More so if the headphones you thinking of using are harder to drive. I have used a rega head in the past and that worked well. Recently borrowed a Graham slee Nova and psu1 that sounded sweet with my sennheiser 580se and some shure Srh1540 I borrowed. If your looking for new headphones try the shures they are excellent.

I've not heard the Unitiqute but had a DAC-V1 used with Sennheiser HD600's. I needed to raise some funds, so sold the V1 and ended up buying a Lehmann Linear and more recently an HRT Music Streamer lll.

This combo is so much better than the Naim, I mean miles better!

Seems like a waste of the Naim to me, unless you were going to also hook up a pair of speakers for occasional use.

The Schiit Vali headphone amp at 100 or so dollars is better than any headphone out I've had in any of my gear. Add an airport express or something like that and you're in for a couple hundred dollars

I would not recommend using a UnitiQute solely as a headphone amp. The SQ is comparable to a Headline powered by a NAPSC. It sounds thin and uninteresting. The headphones that I use are HD650 and HD800. I am sure you can find a much better headphone amp for the money.

If you decide to power a small pair of speakers (they can even power my Wilson Benesch ACT C60's comfortably) the sound from the UnitiQute is fun and engaging.

I also found the Naim DAC V1 was easily outperformed. I went with a Hugo to power Hifiman 560's in the end.

Hello Bob, I am using a Qute2 with a pair of HD800s as a bedroom system. I know the SQ is limited, but enjoy it enough, to not want anything better. I recently bought and shortly after sold a Hugo due to not liking the sound, and prior to that had a Mcintosh 100, which combined with the 800s, was by far, the best headphone system I have ever owned. As has been said, you can do better (SQ wise) than the Qute2, but it is a great little unit, and with iRadio, is extremely convenient to use.

I've not heard the Unitiqute but had a DAC-V1 used with Sennheiser HD600's. I needed to raise some funds, so sold the V1 and ended up buying a Lehmann Linear and more recently an HRT Music Streamer lll.

This combo is so much better than the Naim, I mean miles better!

I was vaguely considering swapping my Lehmann Linear + Arcam rDAC for a Naim DAC-V1. I've had the Lehmann+Arcam rig for a couple of years maybe now and got itchy feet I guess. Glad I stuck with what I have judging by a couple of comments in this thread.

To the OP: The Lehmann really is an outstanding amp, has been around for years (in a couple of different guises) and you only ever hear great things said about it. Couple one of these to your chosen transport/streamer and you won't regret it.

I also found the Naim DAC V1 was easily outperformed. I went with a Hugo to power Hifiman 560's in the end.

I use Beyerdynamic T1s with the Naim DAC-V1 and (to my ears at least) the pairing is excellent - most enjoyable in all respects.

Thanks to everybody for their kind opinions.
Certainly given me a few more options to consider,but what really appeals to me regarding the Qute 2 is the "one box does it all system".
Is there anything of a similar nature (one box) that has a high quality headphone or has Naim cornered the market with this kind of product ?
Bob

Try the Beyerdynamic DT880 80ohm with Asus essence one Muse edition which is a DAC headphone amp inside one box, you will be a happy man. I bought the Asus used, it cost me 230 pounds. New DT880 is about a couple of hundred quids.

A cheaper alternative to the Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amp is the Matrix M Stage which has a similar circuit, but costs about 140 pounds only. Get a decent DAC to pair with the Matrix, you can try Sennheiser HD600 or HD650

advertisement

Back