advertisement

Headphone amps?

Budget is as little as possible, without compromising SQ, I don't know how much headphones need in terms of amplification, is it as important as speakers and regular amp? So I guess realistically willing to spend up to £500, but rather spend around £250 if I can.
Ta.
If you just want a straight wire with gain for pocket change, get one of these

If you just want a straight wire with gain for pocket change, get one of these

If it’s good enough for Sean Olive I guess it’s good enough for us plebs

Has anyone had both the Slee solo and the 'diamond' version, it's called diamond so it must be good right? That Slee's a cunning fellow, I have one of his phono stages he's called 'Gold', emmm

I have the Creek headphone amp - cheap as dirt on ebay. I also have sennheiser HD600s

sounds good over all if a bit forward. just a bit more high end than my speakers. not sharp or annoying at all.

If you're very lucky you might just about reach to a used SPL Phonitor mk1. An incredible headphone amp which will scale way beyond your current headphones should you upgrade. The Mk2, which I use, is also an incredibly good preamp, albeit definitely over budget, but if you just want to use it as a headamp the Mk1 is the one to go for. Plus it looks great IMHO....

5959686301_c4bf6b32de_b.jpg

My opinion is go valve.
I have both a Heed canamp and a Little Dot 3. The Heed is a lovely bit of kit and massively better than a Rega Ear that I had. For all that, it’s the LD that I listen to music using

I have HD600s and use a Topping A90 - a very satisfactory combo.
Leaning towards the A90D - as it has a remote!

140mw at 32ohms with 1% distortion?, 30mw at 600ohms?, an £80 Chinese made dongle would be my choice vs the vastly outdated/outclassed slee especially to suitably drive the HD650.

It’s not my money nor ears though, so as long it sounds good to your ears its a good choice for yourself

Sorry too late but if you don't get on with the GS I highly recommend the Rega Ear for much less money. I have the HD650s and 580s, I had both the GS Ultra Linear DE and early green light version. I personally preferred the sound of the Rega with the Sennies.

Leaning towards the A90D - as it has a remote!
The remote is a bit poor ime, limited range and has to be pointed perpendicular to the face of the amp and even then it's a faff to change volume.

advertisement

Back