advertisement

Headphone amps?

Bravefart

Hello all, I am needing to get back into headphone listening due to neighbourly considerations. I'm gonna buy the Sennheiser HD650, as I had the HD600 about 20 years ago and loved them, I hear they're pretty much the same. My integrated has no earphone socket (you know because 'audiophile' amps rarely do), so what should I go for? Budget is as little as possible, without compromising SQ, I don't know how much headphones need in terms of amplification, is it as important as speakers and regular amp? So I guess realistically willing to spend up to £500, but rather spend around £250 if I can.
Ta.

My younger brother is a headphone only user, he used a Creek for many years along with the same headphones as you had.
He decided to buy himself a new pair of HD800 headphones and I bought him a secondhand (recapped) Sugden Headmaster headphone amp, he absolutely loves it, his source is a Meridian G series CD player.
This is probably a thread for the headphones room.

I have the 650 and 600. They're both very good but I do still prefer the 600.

I'm a big fan of Lake People headphones:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...GDb9fmDC4L_4G1281xtHZt36te1jpeTRoCcd0QAvD_BwE

lake_people_g105_mkii_g105_s_mkii_headphone_amp_1670242265_1736783.jpg

Buy used (plenty around) and get more for your budget. If you simply want a competent, single jack, 2 x inputs + 1 out and > 500 mA, there are dozens. D'you fancy s/s or valved? Bit more pricey and less common but def. worth a think. Does your )integrated?) amp have 'normal' spare RCA outputs? I've HD650s (+ Elears and Utopias), and the 650s are 300 ohms, so you need a competent h/ph. amp.

Can't recommend, as I've only had Naim Headline (not brilliant) and my current Myryad (no longer available except used) (versatile and brilliant.

I happily use 650s - I've used many amplifiers from "cheap and cheerful" to silly money. At the minute I'm very happy with a RNHP, others I liked were the iFi zen signature (much better than the 'standard' and can have tailored EQ for the 650s if you like that sort of thing) and the Graham Slee solo.

£120 for the basic topping L50 or if you want a dac included then I’d be tempted with the DX3 pro+.

Personal opinion : I’ve listened to the 650’s but I couldn’t use them without eq’ing the bass to a decent level and dropping the treble peaks so I’d need something with the option of applying PEQ,

A total aside, because long-unobtainable, yet:

I happily use 650s - I've used many amplifiers from "cheap and cheerful" to silly money. At the minute I'm very happy with a RNHP, others I liked were the iFi zen signature (much better than the 'standard' and can have tailored EQ for the 650s if you like that sort of thing) and the Graham Slee solo.
Hi Neil -
I still have the McCormack Micro Integrated Drive I bought from you a very long time ago. 2007..?

Now, long with a bespoke linear PSU I built, and fixed the singular deficiency contributing to (still very low) distortion by removing one part per channel*... it's an utterly-superior thing. 'cold', 'pry, hands 'dead' etc - total endpoint for headphone amps - but, also a total unicorn, one that remains very much loved. +/-300mA in class A now, it's a monster :D

*For anyone reading later - use of an offset -adjust pot, on fet opamp input where its not needed, is the cause for the rise on distortion in Sterophile's measurements way-back-then. It spoils psrr & IMD. Remove it - the curve is flat; use opa627 in place of the op604 - and all the numbers better to a hilarious degree. DC offset is c <50microvolts!

@martin clark

Hi Martin - ah yes, that was a lovely thing (even in its standard form) - one of the many "I should never sold that!" regrets :)
I'm glad it's still giving good - now even better - service. I used it mainly as a headphone amp but it was rather nice used near-field with a pair of JBL control ones.

It's a Grraham Slee PSU1
There is also now an Ultra linear DE Solo which comes with the PSU1 but what the difference is between this and the standard Solo i don't know you would have to delve into the specs to find out, it's £110 more or adding the Enigma power supply £310 more.

advertisement

Back