advertisement

Headphone amplifier review

topoxforddoc

pfm Member
I thought I'd have another go at writing a review. It's a bit easier than doing a scientific or medical paper, that's for sure.

It's not as ascerbic as my old boss, Ken Kessler. He taught me a fair bit about hi-fi back in the late 70s at Canterbury Hi-Fi, before he launched into his reviewing career.

I really enjoyed doing the review, as I tried to do this as well as I could. 2 different R2R machines and several 15IPS tapes listened to almost every evening over a fortnight. Some of the evenings weren't even fuelled by alcohol - an unusual thing for a medic!

http://topoxforddoc.zenfolio.com/blog/2016/10/tron-antares-headphone-amplifier-review

Please feel free to comment about the review. The actual piece of equipment isn't that important, as I would appreciate some feedback about the quality of the writing and review, rather than the subject matter itself. It seemed like a good way to integrate my interest in hi-fi, music and photography.

You see I hated english as subject at school, so this is a bit of a departure for me :)

It might have been useful to compare it to another high end headphone amp rather than the outputs of tape machines alone.

It might have been useful to compare it to another high end headphone amp rather than the outputs of tape machines alone.

Hi Dozey,

thank you for that - a very fair point. Mind you the tape output from a studio master recorder is pretty good.

Charlie

You see I hated english as subject at school, so this is a bit of a departure for me :)

Sufficiently to impoverish our language with a lower case e ? Tch tch ! :D I've just spotted this, Charlie, and shall avidly peruse your review later. Unfortunately I tend to red-ink everything; a professional malaise, you understand....:)

Sufficiently to impoverish our language with a lower case e ? Tch tch ! :D I've just spotted this, Charlie, and shall avidly peruse your review later. Unfortunately I tend to red-ink everything; a professional malaise, you understand....:)

pedant ;)

Nice review IMO, as is the phono stage one. Hi-fi reviewing has no ground rules, it is almost always art rather than science, so as such very hard to criticise as it is only ever one person's personal impression gained within one very specific environment. You covered the usual bases; great photos, brief description, personal impressions, list of recordings used etc. I think I'd have added a lid-off shot too, especially as from what I've seen Graham's Tron stuff is stunningly neat and well made.

The only real step up, which is largely beyond the scope of the amateur, is to measure as well. This being why I'm a fan of Stereophile; the reviews are just as subjective and personal as anywhere else, and I like that, but they are backed up with some hard data, e.g. you can see what the output impedance of an amp is, what kind of load a speaker presents etc which I personally find very useful indeed.

Why do you have to constantly pick up on spelling and grammar Mike Reed?

Thank you everyone for all your constructive comments.

Mike, please accept my apologies for the lower case "e". Nothing wrong with red marker, as long as you don't make me re-write this 50 times at the bottom of the page.

Tony, your point about measurement is quite right. That's hard for an amateur. Mind you, as there's not much money in reviewing as a pro, I suspect that some pros don't measure either.

Mike,

This is the bloke who cured Wilco. He could spell English with two Qs for all I care.

Joe

Mike,

This is the bloke who cured Wilco. He could spell English with two Qs for all I care.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks. It was my friend, Emmanuel Huguet at Addenbrooke's, who did all the hard work though. I'll be seeing him again on saturday.

Nest wishes,

Charlie

Very much liked your review Charlie- layout, pics and text were pleasing to the eye and your writing is most enjoyable- particularly the conclusion.
I have one question- could I griddle a steak on top?- that would be a nice dual role.

Charlie,

It's OK even if you spell best with an N. :)

Joe

Charlie,

That's OK. I'm not any good at surgery.

Besides, it's blokes like you -- sometimes in vet form -- that keep people and critters healthier and alive longer than anyone hoped.

Joe

It does appear that the Studer's headphone output wants to see >600 Ohms so it's understandable that it may have struggled driving the 300 Ohm Sennheisers.

It does appear that the Studer's headphone output wants to see >600 Ohms so it's understandable that it may have struggled driving the 300 Ohm Sennheisers.

Guy,

The Studer wasn't as good as the Sony at driving the more modest AKG K550 either. On standard playback using the XLR out through my loudspeakers, the Sony does sound bit cleaner than the Studer.

Charlie

The AKG K550 appear to present 32 Ohms. The Studer would've had no chance!

I don't doubt that both R2R's are fabulous sources but neither of the headphone models you've mentioned would suit the Studer's headphone output. Can't find a spec for the Sony's headphone amp.

advertisement

Back