advertisement

Headline clone - advise needed

Just a thought, not sure where you're located but ebay UK frequently offers up old full width/half height Naim NAP90/2 or 3 amps pretty cheap, in the end same cost as what it would cost you to clone a Headline. I think a 90/2 could be easily converted to a headphone amp and look pretty cool too, if you can source a proper Naim knob for the volume or! use a remote only with the motorized pot internal and then you just need a tiny IR window cut into the front.

I'm usually against butchery of old equipment but hacking those half height 90 series wouldn't upset me much. The NAP90/2 would really be a traditional Naim output stage headphone amp exactly the same as the NAITs 1/2/3 as it's a differential amp unlike the single rail cap coupled Headline.

Anyway, it would be an interesting experiment.

Reactions: jpk
So did I understand it correctly that I could make a good headphone amp by just taking out the output transistors and using the drivers to power the headphones...?

no! just add a 1/4" output jack and some resistors. No idea if it will sound better or worse than a Headline but if someone has a cheap 90/2/3 around it would be an interesting experiment.

Just a thought, not sure where you're located but ebay UK frequently offers up old full width/half height Naim NAP90/2 or 3 amps pretty cheap, in the end same cost as what it would cost you to clone a Headline. I think a 90/2 could be easily converted to a headphone amp and look pretty cool too, if you can source a proper Naim knob for the volume or! use a remote only with the motorized pot internal and then you just need a tiny IR window cut into the front.

I'm usually against butchery of old equipment but hacking those half height 90 series wouldn't upset me much. The NAP90/2 would really be a traditional Naim output stage headphone amp exactly the same as the NAITs 1/2/3 as it's a differential amp unlike the single rail cap coupled Headline.

Anyway, it would be an interesting experiment.

Good day
Not good idea use power amp for headphone amp :)) Because the specific of music reproduction in power amp and headphone amp is different.

But if you very want use power amp for headphones you need just add 300ohms resistors to output power amp and connecting headphones in to resistors.

But you mentioned somewhere else the use of NAP circuit minus output devices as a headphone amp...?

But you mentioned somewhere else the use of NAP circuit minus output devices as a headphone amp...?
Correct I trying this I connect headphones in to NAP140 boards but sound is different.

I think Nait3 boards is better for headphone amp

https://flic.kr/p/2nKxxK1

but I not connected this to headphones

p.s design of power amp and headphone amp is different and sound different too :))

Last edited:

advertisement

Back