advertisement

HDCD Recommendations

Kari Bremnes "Norwegian Mood" and "You'd have to be here", both sung in English. If you understand Norwegian or just like the sounds then her other albums too.

I’m seeking a good Johnny Cash one but not sure if he only did the highwaymen compilation in that format.
My copies (2001/2 Columbia Legacy issues) of “America” and “Ragged Old Flag” both appear to have HDCD encoding, although there’s nothing in the packaging to indicate this.

I love HDCD just a shame it wasn't more widely adopted I personally think they all sound better than the CD layer. Here are some I have

Manassass
Stephen Stills
Van Halen, II & 1984
Crosby Stills & Nash
Beach Boys Pets Sounds
Motley Crue , Shout at the Devil
The Doors - ALL
Billy Idol Rebel Yell
John Cougar Mellencamp - Best Of
Dire Straits Best Of , Brothers In Arms
Roxy Music
Neil Young
Lucinda Williams, Car wheels, world without tears

There may be a few more I have missed of mine

I don't have a HDCD compatible CD player or DAC but I do have a lot of HDCD discs that I had ripped to Flac using EAC.

I found this HDCD.EXE converter which takes a 16 bit HDCD wav file and converts it to a 24 bit file:-

I knocked up a dos batch file to make converting all the tracks on a CD in one operation.

Works very well!

I can now play all my HDCD discs through my Raspberry Pi streamer.

The HDCDs in my collection (5 discs out of about 24 linear metres of shelf space):
HDCDRokiaTraouréWanita
HDCDMikeOldfieldAmarok
HDCDJoniMitchellBlue (digitally remastered)
HDCDLoriLiebermanGun Metal Sky
HDCDLaurieAndersonLife on a String

A lot of Steve Earle’s cds are HDCD, such as El Corazon, Transcendental Blues, The Mountain, and Sidetracks.
Emmylou Harris’ Wrecking Ball is another HDCD.

advertisement

Back