advertisement

HD660s2 coming out soon

RoA

pfm Member
Another 6 Series phone or just net talk?. How much will this one be if it materialises?

February 21 and $600 according to the ones in the know.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-660s2-thread.966685/

11970229.png

"The revised coil of the S2, for instance, now matches the 300-ohm impedance of the legendary HD 600 & HD 650. This new coil also provides higher magnetic force and electrical dampening for cleaner impulse response.

The surround is now more compliant, too, dropping the resonant frequency to 70 Hz. Considerable effort also went into optimizing the airflow around the transducer. There’s more sensitivity over the entire frequency spectrum because the magnet´s air gap works more efficiently now. Taken together, these measures result in even greater precision, speed, and resolution — with double the sound pressure at the lowest frequencies."

I'll be seriously impressed if they're able to double the LF extension without compromising the THD.

The rise from 500Hz concerns me a little. As far as my ears are concerned the HD6-- series is commendably flat between 100Hz-1kHz so I question the need to beef up this area. Looks like an attempt to move towards the Harman curve?

They're getting all hot under the collar over on reddit regarding the big dip in the 660S2's response at 5kHz that isn't there on the 600 and 650. They're speculating that the dip has been done intentionally to increase the soundstage.

But the same dip is on the OG 660S so I don’t see the big deal? People getting religious can just buy/keep HD600/650.

It seems to address the complaints folks have had about the 6 series forever, more bass, more highs and leave the midrange as is.

One of the bigger problems of the HD600 is that bass distorts heavily is you try to compensate for the weak response. If they can do this without more distortion it's desirable. One is now spoiled by planars that can be cranked A LOT with no extra distortion.

My experience with planars is limited but the bass seems to sound a little different to dynamics.

The way I got round Bass distortion on the Beyer is to lower pre-amp level in Roon's EQ and then adjust the rest incl raising bass a little.

I briefly did the same on the Sennheiser and got solid, well extended bass but they are currently back on the Hegel running in.

I look forward to compare the 660S2 to the 58X. If there is a noticeable difference I will buy it. 4 times the price though so it will need to be noticeable whilst still staying true to the 6 series sound signature. It was the reason to get this in the first place.

One of the bigger problems of the HD600 is that bass distorts heavily is you try to compensate for the weak response.
Not in my experience. How are you implementing the EQ? It's important to reduce the overall output level of your digital source by at least as much as you're largest EQ boost, to reduce the risk of clipping the output signal. e.g. if you're applying a LF shelf boost of +6dB, you should reduce the overall output level of the music by at least -6dB so that the digital output never exceeds 0dBFS. I've never heard audible distortion from any headphones I've applied EQ to apart from very cheap ones that have poorly-designed drivers with low Xmax. Then again, I'm not going crazy with +12dB or +15dB bass boosts, - IMO the HD6-- series headphones don't warrant such an extreme EQ correction.

Not in my experience. How are you implementing the EQ? It's important to reduce the overall output level of your digital source by at least as much as you're largest EQ boost, to reduce the risk of clipping the output signal. e.g. if you're applying a LF shelf boost of +6dB, you should reduce the overall output level of the music by at least -6dB so that the digital output never exceeds 0dBFS. I've never heard audible distortion from any headphones I've applied EQ to apart from very cheap ones that have poorly-designed drivers with low Xmax. Then again, I'm not going crazy with +12dB or +15dB bass boosts, - IMO the HD6-- series headphones don't warrant such an extreme EQ correction.

Of course I always do that, nothing over 0dB in fact usually a bit below, my guess is you play back at a fair amount lower volume than me and/or do not have better gear to compare with. Distorting low bass is a thing with the HD600, which can also be clearly seen in measurements from Solderdude and many others. Even my AKG K612 which are no bass monsters has audibly much lower bass distortion. The HE400SE when equalized is in a totally different league, and the DT1990Pro is somewhere in between. The Sony MDR-Z7M2 is in the vicinity of planar bass

I would say HD600 bass capability is comparable with Beyer DT880/990, an improvement would be welcome. From what I've read HD650/660S can take some more juice than HD600 but not remarkably more.

Whilst I find the Sundara bass extension to be excellent, especially as it does distort less, it can lack impact/punch compared to good dynamic HP bass. So even a HP that does not extend as low can sound very satisfying if EQ'd nicely. (I like the Sundara).

Of course I always do that, nothing over 0dB in fact usually a bit below, my guess is you play back at a fair amount lower volume than me and/or do not have better gear to compare with. Distorting low bass is a thing with the HD600, which can also be clearly seen in measurements from Solderdude and many others. Even my AKG K612 which are no bass monsters has audibly much lower bass distortion. The HE400SE when equalized is in a totally different league, and the DT1990Pro is somewhere in between. The Sony MDR-Z7M2 is in the vicinity of planar bass

I would say HD600 bass capability is comparable with Beyer DT880/990, an improvement would be welcome. From what I've read HD650/660S can take some more juice than HD600 but not remarkably more.
Perhaps I misread your post. When you wrote "distorts heavily" I took that to mean the kind of startling, nasty 'crackling' distortion you get when you push a driver beyond its mechanical limits, - the sort of thing that happened on the Focal Elex that a lot of people complained about. I've never experienced this kind of distortion on any of my HD6-- headphones, but I am aware that the bass response isn't as clean and precise as it is on some other designs. (FWIW my other references are all dynamics, e.g. Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000, Beyerdynamic DT880, Focal Utopia, Sennheiser HD800S. It's been a while since I last heard planars like the DCA Aeon and Ether). A bit of harmonic distortion at low frequencies doesn't bother me, - it's certainly far more tolerable than issues in the midrange and treble!

advertisement

Back