advertisement

HD video camcorders

IWC Doppel

pfm Member
I am looking for a camcorder to provide high quality video footage on a par with the Canon 5D II, I am a little confused about sensors, but do want a camcorder with the ability to have good depth of field.

Seems that the 'full frame' sensor on the 5D was the reason it lunched most that went before ?

I understand still photography ( a bit ) but trying to find good reviews and information seems tricky. There is no dpreview for camcorders I can find.

Anyone help. I want 5D performance from a camcorder. I am very happy with my first step into more serious photography with my Lumix GF1 and 20mm pancake.

Is there a camcorder equivalent ?

Up to £1k, but will buy tomorrow if I can get this for nearer £500

There are camcorders with far better HD video performance than a 5D but not sure about options at your price point.

I'd personally go for the Panasonic SD600 because of it's excellent low light ability and value for money. Low light image quality looked better than the equivalent Sony and Canon camcorders when I searched Youtube.
Panasonic do more expensive versions with a hard drive and extra features, but the basic SD600 has the same image quality and would be fine for most peoples needs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003GSLFXO/ref=asc_df_B003GSLFXO1154552?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003GSLFXO

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you want a camcorder with a good depth of field, I take it that means you'd like to be able to control it, then none of the consumer stuff will do. You need a pro-camera with real lenses and DOF that you can rack. Or use a good DSR and get used to having to pull focus for everything.

I have a Canon HF11 hd video camera, and a 7D, the 7D destroys the HF11 for everything except automatic focus- which is crap.

consumer video camera- easy to use but limiting
DSR- excellent but requires manual focus.
pro HD cam- excellent and expensive.

Sensible advice from SQ. I use an HDR-1000 which gives incredible image quality (the Sony G lens is awesome) and full manual control, as well as astonishing low light capability. It's the semi pro equivalent of the Z5 which you will see time and time again on TV news reports. The only real differences are that the Z5 can use HDCAM and has balanced audio. It's tape based but you can add a card recorder for faster edits.

I use a 7D and 1D/IV and the HD image quality is superb but if you are going to hand hold them, it's not easy in practice to get superb results with video. DSLR's are capable of stunning picture quality but you need to add focus pull mechanical devices etc as well as a good tripod to get the best out of them which isn't always practical.

There's a practical advantage for DSLR video. At the T20 cricket world cup in the Caribbean this year, I chanced my arm and took the camcorder in, getting it past security and managed to get fantastic footage of the steel bands and crowd scenes, as well as a fair bit of cricket but after a couple of hours I was "invited" to go and discuss my camera with a man with an official pass. Turned out he was an ICC lawyer who had been alerted to me and the camera by the host broadcaster! It was all friendly and I met the TV production manager who just asked for assurances that the footage wouldn't be used for commercial gain. They were amazed that I got it through security....

At the final, I used the 7D with an L lens and bumped into the lawyer whilst before the match started. He was pleased that I hadn't brought the video cam into the ground. Little did he know......

Sensible advice from SQ. I use an HDR-1000 which gives incredible image quality (the Sony G lens is awesome) and full manual control, as well as astonishing low light capability. It's the semi pro equivalent of the Z5 which you will see time and time again on TV news reports. The only real differences are that the Z5 can use HDCAM and has balanced audio. It's tape based but you can add a card recorder for faster edits.

I use a 7D and 1D/IV and the HD image quality is superb but if you are going to hand hold them, it's not easy in practice to get superb results with video. DSLR's are capable of stunning picture quality but you need to add focus pull mechanical devices etc as well as a good tripod to get the best out of them which isn't always practical.

Looks like the 1000 is nearly £4k list....... Very nice but tape, expensive and big. How so camera's like the Panny 600 compare ?

Seems the practicality of the camcorders is not matched by absolute image quality ?

Looks like the 1000 is nearly £4k list....... Very nice but tape, expensive and big. How so camera's like the Panny 600 compare ?

Seems the practicality of the camcorders is not matched by absolute image quality ?
Yes it's tape but that's good. List is steep but mine cost £2300 new in Dec 2008 and there are still deals. This only came out 2 years ago and you keep tapes as masters but use the add on solid state card record unit for quick download to NLR (Final Cut Studio etc). Cards are expensive for masters. Tapes are cheap so ideal to keep as masters and they do seem to last without degradation. I have used tapes since 1985, Sony 8mm, Hi-8, DV and now HDV and haven't had a single bad tape.

It's not quite as big or heavy as you might think. Sure, bigger than a Panny 600 for example but much easier to handle. Small light camcorders are, in my experience, not so steady to use hand held. No problem on a tripod or monopod of course.

Guys, thanks

I will be using it for a number of things :

Holidays and groups of friends at Birthday's etc, I am also really interested in footage of things like our whippet running. Plus Jane, my partner wants footage of dog shows, Horse shows and her family.

I am also interested in 'in car' shots to show things like the 'ring', holiday drives across europe and the odd track day.

I really fancy building film's of events using iMovie etc. Christmas, Birthday,holiday, etc

If you think being able to rack focus will be an artistic tool that you need then go pro or go DSLR + follow focus kit, otherwise stick with a decent HD camera.

I am also interested in slow motion playback.

I am quite interested in the Panny 600 or the 700. any views these are nearer he £500 mark and seem to have good reviews ?

Is this worth investigating ?

Sony NEX-VG10E

It looks great but at £1600 or so (with the "standard" zoom) before you start your lens collection it might be a better bet to stick with the likes of the Nikon D90, which can also shoot RAW stills unlike the Sony.

Is this worth investigating ?

Sony NEX-VG10E
I saw the press release some time ago and think it will be interesting to try it but it's not for me. The grapevine says, IIRC, that it will be officially £1850 in the UK with the standard zoom.

I'd go into town a have go with some cameras before spending any money.
My old Panasonic FZ38 had great video quality (Check out the clips on youtube) but it was a real pain in the arse to keep moving subjects in focus. None of the online reviews mentioned that problem.

If that's right for price then that's two decent canon lenses and a D7....
Or even a 7D! The full res jpegs are so good with this that I rarely use raw now for most subjects but I still prefer a proper 3 chip camcorder for video. Horses for courses and all that.

You could save more money and buy the new 60D which got a great review in AP last week. Body only under £900 in the right shops.

advertisement

Back