advertisement

HD 650s (etc.) new pads; any recommendations?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
Still can't figure out how to take the old ones off, unless it's a prise open job, which doesn't seem sensible. I need new pads and know that many of you have bought replacements.

I'd be grateful for recommendations from experience as I need new ones. Also, how do I get the existing off without wrecking the cans?

Ta

I fitted Dekoni velours to my HD650. Bought from AudioSanctuary along with inner discs and headband pads. To change the headband pads I used a car trim panel remover.

I fitted Dekoni velours to my HD650

Thanks for that video. Not sure why he removed the foam cover just to put it back again, though ! I'll check out your recommendation (assuming it IS a recommendation). There are a few on eBay, but there's no way of assessing quality prior to purchase.

At least one can still get spare parts for older models like my 650. In the last few years, i've done ear pads, headband padding, and just today I broke the cable and have ordered a new one.

If you want your HD650 to sound as they did when you originally bought them, my advice would be to stick with the genuine Sennheiser replacement pads. If you want to tweak the sound, then check out Dekoni's website as they often publish frequency response measurements to show how their different pad designs affect the headphone's tonal balance. (I don't know if they have HD650 measurements but they definitely have HD600 measurements and the two models are fairly similar so the pads will have a similar effect on both).

If you want your HD650 to sound as they did when you originally bought them, my advice would be to stick with the genuine Sennheiser replacement pads. If you want to tweak the sound, then check out Dekoni's website as they often publish frequency response measurements to show how their different pad designs affect the headphone's tonal balance. (I don't know if they have HD650 measurements but they definitely have HD600 measurements and the two models are fairly similar so the pads will have a similar effect on both).

Here’s the graphs for the Dekoni replacement pads ..

Thanks, TT Man and Andy. I'd never heard of them until I noticed a set of the hybrids for sale on eBay in my own city !!! Highly priced for (hardly?) used pads but I'll contact him and he may re-advertise, getting zero bids (not surprising). Made in Poland, so a bit tricky now to order new, I guess, with Brexit. Quite a learning curve (isn't everything hifi?) for me.

Ps. Also from Audio Sanctuary as posted by Soileduk above. Not the easiest site to negotiate, though.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back