advertisement

Have Quad ESLs had their day?

I used to have a jadis da88s
It was magnificent amp. Huge sound. Massive power. Beautiful aesthetics.
Sadly I sold it long before getting the 63s. Would have loved to try the pairing.
Very happy with Neurochrome though. Thoroughly recommend to 63 owners.

No bother at all, they are side by side with the outside one turned in. Sweet spot is narrow aka 57's. You can just experiment with various positions till you are happy. Both sets raised using stand and deliver stands and a platform and a timber wine box to bring the second pair to the same height. Wiring is in parallel. Two sets of speaker cables on each side. So wire up the speakers as you normally would you just have an extra pair of connections at the amp end. You could also loop on from one speaker to the other. My amp is a Jadis DA88S and I am using a CJ preamp.

As I said Fran experimented with this and I heard the results in his place. Whilst I wanted to ignore it as my room is just not as easy to fit two pairs into, I had to give it a go since I currently own two pairs. One pair are OTA done about 4 months ago and the second pair were completely refurbed circa 10yrs ago.

Very happy with Neurochrome though. Thoroughly recommend to 63 owners.

Those are Neurochrome Mod86 bridged mono's in my photo, though I'm now using a Benchmark AHB2.

Peter Walkers aim was to create a near zero distortion speaker so I see it as only right to provide them with near zero distortion source.

On the crossover idea... I don't think it would be effective. The 63 is only able to produce bass to a certain lower frequency limit, probably around 40hz or so. Making one set only produce say 40-200hz won't make that pair sound lower etc. Conversely, if you matched with a subwoofer, then you could send the low frequencies only to the sub, and not send any of those to the 63s which would certainly lighten the load on them.

When you side the two pairs in parallel, the bass doesn't go lower, but it does have more impact for sure.

On strengthening the frame.... that is mentioned quite a bit. I did an experiment with mine where I used metal standoffs to hold the alu panel supports to the side rails - the idea being that doing this would stiffen the whole frame. You could feel that when the job was done, but I observed almost no sonci impact. Now maybe going the whole high and making the box steel frame would make a bigger difference, but honestly I was put off by that result.

The panels are only attached by 4 screws to the aluminium angle, which in turn is held into the plastic mouldings at the top and bottom with rubber bushes.

Bracing the outer frame doesn't really brace the panels which are 'loose' inside.

I would like to see the inside of the >2 series ESL's to see what they have done internally.

If you lay a 989 on it's back, the aluminium angle deflects so much that the panels touch the dust cover......
For comparison the Mylar membrane in the panels can only move 1mm maximum.

A well sorted pair of Quad ESL's is like having the best pair of headphones filling your room.

When I say filling, I mean that.

Lamb currently full filling that .

Fully agree. The more I listen to the current set up of 4 Quads I become more convinced you couldn't have enough panels! As Fran pointed out the db is not higher but the depth and body and gorgeous detail just has more clarity and realism.

I have a really nice pair of quad57s no dings in the grills

Replaced them horrible short feet and lifted them up a bit with new stands

WHAT a difference very happy.

Now i alternate with my decapo i loudspeakers

advertisement

Back