advertisement

Have I done something stupid?

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
Hi guys,

I recently won an eBay auction for what I thought would be a great lens for my Pentax K100d Super but on receiving it today, I have found that it doesn't fit my camera :(

This is the lens in question: eBay Link

Am I doing something wrong or is this lens not compatible with my DSLR?

Many thanks,

Lefty

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Lefty, the lens is designed for the Pentax K1000 an older camera and some digital K10d etc, the seller expects you to do an online search but claims that it would fit most digital pentax. Did you pay through PayPal? If so contact the seller and explain the situation and that it does not fit.

If he is a good Ebayer then he will help, if not then file a dispute with PayPal indicating that the item is not as described as seen fit with the advert, which states, "Fits most digital". The link the seller uses does not work, so there is a good chance to get the item returned for a refund. PayPal are very good at protecting buyers from sellers who make claims on listings, let us know how it goes, all the best,

Thanks Pinkfishcake,

Re-reading the auction it seems that I should checked the compatibility of this lens more thoroughly before buying. I did pay through paypal but would I be entitled to a refund given that he did state that it's only compatible with some digital?

It's a real shame because it's a fantastic lens, especially for DSLR's due to the 1.5 times crop factor. (28mm x 1.5 = 42mm). If it's compatible with other Pentax DSLR's then I may well hang on to it for when I upgrade to something to another body with which it will be compatible.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a nice, fast (f/2.0 and below) wide angle lens which will work with my K100d Super, then I may sell this to fund said lens.

Lefty

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a nice, fast (f/2.0 and below) wide angle lens which will work with my K100d Super, then I may sell this to fund said lens.
The Pentax FA35AL/2 is the ideal standard lens for a DSLR. It's even sharper than the famed 50/1.4s. Get one while you can.

James

Thanks for the advice guys.

Omer - I think I've got the same issue. It does slot into place but when I try and rotate the lens to 'lock in', it is stuck solid and doesn't move :(

James - I couldn't find that lens for purchase in the UK, but I did find this: Pentax SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited Edition Silver

Drooooooool :D

Lefty

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Lefty, the FA35 is now discontinued. You might be able to get the last of NOS items from US stores. Alternatively, they come up on eBay from time to time. Much cheaper proposition than the FA31 Limited, and only a couple of microns behind in terms of performance.

James

There is nothing wrong with filing a dispute to say there is a problem, have you filled out the feedback yet? did you ask the seller before the sale if it would fit your camera body? You could inform that the advert was misleading and send the item back.

hi Lofty, there is nothing wrong with filing a dispute to say there is a problem, have you filled out the feedback yet? did you ask the seller before the sale if it would fit your camera body? You could inform that the advert was misleading and send the item back, Paypal are very fair with this as no one would want to buy something that does not fit. It is felt that the seller omitted to say specifically which lens it would not fit and mislead by informing that it fitted most digital cameras. If it is a business seller then you have a right to return the item WITHOUT question under the distance selling Act, within 7 days. Have included details below. best wishes,

There are three pieces of legislation relevant :-

(a) Distance Selling Regulations, this allows you to send goods back and obtain a refund for any reason within seven working days of delivery. However, you have to pay for the return of the goods. There are more details here :-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c01.shtml

(b) Sale of Goods Act, this allows you to obtain a full refund if the goods are not “fit for purpose”. There are more details here :-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c04.shtml#3

(c) Consumer Credit Act, this means, if the retailer is disreputable and wrongly refuses to refund you, your credit card company may refund you and then they will recover the money from the retailer's bankers. There are more details here :-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c02.shtml

If you can't easily remove the plastic shield thing, you ought to be able to (very carefully) cut it off. There was a thread a few years ago on the Pentax forum on DPReview detailing this.

Stuart.

The auction states:
"It fits all Pentax Auto & Manual Focus Camera Bodies Analog and Some DIGITAL! [please, check compatibility online]"​
So I think your hope there is that it wasn't described correctly hinges around the clarity of that statement.

And then:
"If an item has arrived broken, faulty, incorrectly described or wrongly sent: Contact me, either by e-mail or phone and explain the problem. I will follow up with the next step.
A full refund will be issued [once I’m in receipt of the item and have confirmed the problem] or I'll assist you in the process of filling a claim for compensation in case of damage in transit.
If the item was correctly described and you just changed your mind or didn't update your address, the postage will NOT be refunded.
"​
So I think they say they will take it back, even if you just don't like it, but it's your mistake so you pay postage.

Hope it works out!

Thanks for all the detailed feedback and advice guys - much appreciated :)

To be honest, despite the fact that it doesn't fit my camera in its unmodified form, I'm inclined to keep it as it seems good value. One day, I will get (a professional) to cut the plastic shield thing without damaging the lens itself. Hopefully this won't be too expensive (<£20?) and the results would be worth it.

Lefty

You don't need a 'professional' to do that!

Remove the shroud by unscrewing the 3 cross head screws, mark the cut with reference to a 'proper' Pentax lens, and cut with a dremmel.

hi Lofty, there is nothing wrong with filing a dispute to say there is a problem, have you filled out the feedback yet? did you ask the seller before the sale if it would fit your camera body? You could inform that the advert was misleading and send the item back, Paypal are very fair with this as no one would want to buy something that does not fit. It is felt that the seller omitted to say specifically which lens it would not fit and mislead by informing that it fitted most digital cameras. If it is a business seller then you have a right to return the item WITHOUT question under the distance selling Act, within 7 days. Have included details below. best wishes,

There are three pieces of legislation relevant :-

(a) Distance Selling Regulations, this allows you to send goods back and obtain a refund for any reason within seven working days of delivery. However, you have to pay for the return of the goods. There are more details here :-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c01.shtml

(b) Sale of Goods Act, this allows you to obtain a full refund if the goods are not “fit for purpose”. There are more details here :-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c04.shtml#3

(c) Consumer Credit Act, this means, if the retailer is disreputable and wrongly refuses to refund you, your credit card company may refund you and then they will recover the money from the retailer's bankers. There are more details here :-

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c02.shtml

Sorry BUT.

a. Distance selling regulations - Excludes auctions
b. Sale of goods act - As far as i can see this lens WAS fit for purpose
c. Consumer credit Act - Seller has done nothing disreputable.

By stating that the lens will only fit some cameras and telling buyers to check themselves, they are totally covered.

As a seller I can sympathise with them. I have sold many items where I have had to say DO YOU OWN CHECKS, because you get inundated with questions will it fit x,y,z etc. Why should the seller spend hours doing searches because the buyer is to lazy to do it themselves.

If I make a mistake like this (and I have several times) I just shrug my shoulders and stick back on ebay, sometimes I have even make a profit.

advertisement

Back