advertisement

Have go at making a good speaker cable

Not a suggestion but it was the early Ultra Not Blue

Sorry if I got you on the wrong foot & I probably posted a bit much in your thread while knowing very little.
But I read up a bit and went through your initial post again after that &
thought this sounds interesting to try.
Early Ultra Black probably means it's not available new & I have to look for second hand if I want to try it ?
Thanks and kind regards..

Litz in 3 groups PTFE covered, each group 7 x 0.3mm wire, wrapped in PTFE, then in standard PVC cover black.
So total conductor each leg was 21 x 0.3mm. This is Ultra Black. It was to be 22mm wide to fit Naim amps. As it was designed to be Naim cable just before the Focal take over, then project got scrapped, at my cost as Catch 22 no TQ then.
Does this help ?

Does this help ?

Yes it does..now I start getting it...thank you.. :)
Sorry, unlike probably most others here I was completely unaware you are the initial designer of that cable at first.
So, to me someone mentions TQ UB..and 'make cable' got me puzzled first...
as in 'take TQ UB' &fit bananas to it' ?

Now it's clear..a receipe to really make the cable that later became UB.

Is that cable primarily good for Naim amps or would you consider it
a generally good cable for say, a class AB 250W amp for instance..?

Sounds very interesting...thanks again & kind regards..

Last edited:
Litz in 3 groups PTFE covered, each group 7 x 0.3mm wire, wrapped in PTFE, then in standard PVC cover black.
So total conductor each leg was 21 x 0.3mm. This is Ultra Black. It was to be 22mm wide to fit Naim amps. As it was designed to be Naim cable just before the Focal take over, then project got scrapped, at my cost as Catch 22 no TQ then.
Does this help ?

I remember you visiting me armed with a roll of said wire and saying, try this and let me know what you think.

It's a bit thin was my reply iirc.

That must have been over a decade ago now.

I'm still using it to this day with the white Claymore driving my little Q Acoustics Speakers :)

Notice also, capacitance is correspondingly-high: it's the essential compromise, and you have to pick your poison, no exceptions.
yep, thank you Martin, I reckon it helps to be an expert to "bake/weigh" the correct amount of inductance and capacitance.. in my case I will need to try and see what happens, shall costs be reasonable..

Quickie I like those tiny speaker and bought two sets for my kids, that I now never see. (except for there birthdays and xmas)
Scot also got from me the new Oberon and Penny the Q20V I did.
Sam (step son) got a pair of the larger Q Acoustics for Xmas and I made him a Oberon, I see more of him now than I did when he was at Uni Scotland. Great fun.
PS the chassis for the Sibelius you are building is big phew.
209340821_2610586015910990_6936878196846286031_n.jpg

Quickie I like those tiny speaker and bought two sets for my kids, that I now never see. (except for there birthdays and xmas)
Scot also got from me the new Oberon and Penny the Q20V I did.
Sam (step son) got a pair of the larger Q Acoustics for Xmas and I made him a Oberon, I see more of him now than I did when he was at Uni Scotland. Great fun.
PS the chassis for the Sibelius you are building is big phew.
209340821_2610586015910990_6936878196846286031_n.jpg

I've got the 2010i. Istr I bought them from @Gromit of this parish.

Brilliant little speakers, especially when driven hard, though I find they sound best with quite a bit of room around them, not on a window sill where they are currently parked :)

So you like the chassis then ;)

Milliken solved this for even very high power cables a very, very longtime ago - and it is not even a Litz insulated-strand configuration: just that the wind ensures each strand equally passes through the conductor centroid, and in opposite sense, by layer, for really-stupidly heavy cables for LV AC power. Still in use over century later - as is the resulting company iirc : )

I'd welcome a reference to the 'Milliken' source for the above.

Thanks. That's interesting. I can't recall reading it before. Makes sense once you include requiring at least some contact resistance to 'discourage' the current simply staying on the surface of the 'bundle.

As far as I see that, the Basics LS is made from alloy with a very thin coat of copper.
Coming from China & the decribtion says nothing at all about it being copper or OFC.
There is other cheap solutions, but I'd go for copper at least..

Does this help ?
So what's important here? I'm sure the total CSA is. Does the grouping matter? What about the insulation around each internal bundle?

What about using Type 1 Litz 11 AWG, 19/23AWG, MW35-A, 0.120" OD from the site I quoted up thread?

So what's important here? I'm sure the total CSA is. Does the grouping matter? What about the insulation around each internal bundle?

What about using Type 1 Litz 11 AWG, 19/23AWG, MW35-A, 0.120" OD from the site I quoted up thread?

1st Each conductor 0.3mm is insulated from each other, 2nd thin cables are a pain to terminate.

advertisement

Back