advertisement

Have cd players improved a lot from the beginning of time?

Snr has gone from -84 to -96db, irrespective of what dac chip they use, that's hard coded into the recording. Long term reliability has decreased, but so has jitter.

Everything else is a matter of taste/opinion.

I still occasionally play some early classical cds with my Philips CD104. I really struggle to hear the faults of the dreaded "early digital".

How can you tell if the rega Apollo is a 35 anniversary.
rega-apollo-35th-anniversary-430465.png

I have a nice old Rotel. Nice sound, plays anything.
Then there is the Arcam Alpha 9, which has a clean sound and plays HDCD’s.
The Roksan Blak I got a couple of years ago is a different league. Wonderful. Neither soft or hard, always fun.

Before I got a Rega Saturn R a couple of years ago all the players I used had this hard glassy sound which got quite fatiguing after about half an hour.Vinyl was my main source so it was no big deal and I had about 150 CDs .

The Saturn R changed all that and I now have accumulated about 2000. CD 's mainly from charity shops .The Saturn is just so listenable and draws you into the music its timing is superb and has a real rightness about its sound .It just gets out the way .It's not perfect but you would have to spend a lot more money to better it .Its nice as I enjoy vinyl and CD equally.

Before I got a Rega Saturn R a couple of years ago all the players I used had this hard glassy sound which got quite fatiguing after about half an hour.Vinyl was my main source so it was no big deal and I had about 150 CDs .

The Saturn R changed all that and I now have accumulated about 2000. CD 's mainly from charity shops .The Saturn is just so listenable and draws you into the music its timing is superb and has a real rightness about its sound .It just gets out the way .It's not perfect but you would have to spend a lot more money to better it .Its nice as I enjoy vinyl and CD equally.

This is a good point - whichever side of the vintage CD player debate you land on, the supply of cheap CDs has shot up through the roof as fools..... Err... people ditch them for music streaming services. There has never been a better time to build your collection in a very affordable way.

I recently bought japanese Reimyo CD player. It is based on quite old technology, however sounds much better than my modern Auralic Vega G2 dac with CDs. Tidal and Qobuz streaming doesn't come near either.
As I recall, the Reimyo players were glowingly reviewed and very expensive. I'm sure it's excellent.

Reimyo, didn't they end up with another brand name, or came from one, can't remember which. It was a lexus type deal either way.

@adamdea thanks for that and I have been thinking of doing so but what do you go for?
I'm probably the wrong person to ask for sonic recommendations as I lean to towards the view that competently designed dacs sound the same. But you could get any number of modern dacs by SMSL or topping which are essentially state of the art for (in hifi terms) next to nothing for example
This is miles more accurate than anythign made in 1990. You can squeeze a bit more theoretical perfomance out, and get a nicer looking case, if you pay more.
It may be worth gettign somethign with a headphone out while you are at it., if you think you might use it. But essntially there are loads of models between £150 and £1000 which are all technically excellent
Alternatively if you want something really makes a difference and don't mind a bit of techie play then why not consider something like this with built in digital room correction.
But I'm probably gettign ahead of myself. The first suggestion would probably be good for dipping your toe into the water at moderate expense.

Reimyo, didn't they end up with another brand name, or came from one, can't remember which. It was a lexus type deal either way.

I hadn;t heard of the brand until recently, idly browsing a shop website, and looked up old reviews. Could be wrong but they insisted on the their own mains cables being used with their equipment (that I believe I recall as a fact), made by their other company which was all foo, called something like Harmonix Technology (again, this is without me bothering to find the article, but something along those lines) and I think they are still going too, If I can say, fairly sure it's Audio Emotion (among others?) who stock Reimyo in this country.

Edit - looked it up and it's just Harmonix the "accessories" line.

I've had one of those, three entry level Micromega players actually. Cheap as chips and as good as an entry Naim player, if not as nice to look at. Certainly a fun sounding CD player but quite rough compared to the best. Works well as a transport.
as I said and, thus, IME, the Leader, of which I spoke about, is really in a different league as a complete CD-player than Naim's CDI or CD3 (that I also have owned), with the Leader being above them sonincs-wise and, rather, the others being 'rough', as you say ;-) - but, anyway, horses for courses... ☯️

IME, the Leader, of which I spoke about, is really in a different league as a complete CD-player than Naim's CDI or CD3 (that I also have owned), with the Leader being above them sonics-wise and, rather, the others being 'rough', as you say ;-)
Interesting. I had a Naim CD3.5 and someone brought a Leader round to the house to try. Except for the fact that the bass was lighter, I thought the Micromega sounded exactly the same so I sold the Naim and bought a Leader. It died and I bought a Leader II, then another so I had three of them in total.

The Micromegas were improved by the addition of a Beresford DAC. After the last Leader died I got fed up dealing with old unreliable players and bought a Rega Saturn-R which I still have. During the years with the Rega I bought a Naim CD5XS and CDX/XPS but neither of them could topple the Saturn-R.

My understanding has always been that the CD3 was better than the CD3.5 so it's interesting that you found the Leader better than the CD3.

I fired up my Rotel 965bxii that I found rusting away in my garage. Sounded as good as any subsequent CD player I ever purchased, was very impressed and I’m guessing it’s over 30 years old!

which was the best sounding FIRST generation cd player?
I only remember the Phillips one (mentioned in a later post) and the Marantz equivalent (again, Phillips based). That was 1982, when I bought an LP12. So much for my views on digital at the time ! I thought at the time that if they were to incorporate valves, things would look up.

No-one's mentioned the valved CDPs, which came in quite a lot later (nineties or after?). there are/were quite a few models from ARC, Lector, EAR, Rega and others. I've only had Lector but compared to a top Wadia a few years ago in my system, the main difference was a drier presentation in the latter; less 'air' or holography (less organic?). I do believe that these rather expensive valve implemented (in the DAC, that is) CDPs have AN edge, though I think taste may come into it, as I had a Meridian 2 box and a G08 before, and thought those pretty good until I got the 2 box, then the 4 box Lector (Italian).

advertisement

Back