advertisement

Has anyone used a "We Buy Any Car" type service?

@wulbert can you what car it is?

Prices are all over the place at the moment.

A friend went through this recently and went with Arnold Clark. Painless.

Our experience with WBAC is that cosmetic condition is everything. We had a Corsa due a service and wanted to move to something else. While the WBAC operative was making a forensic examination of the bonnet to search for stonechips to reduce the original offer, I asked what they expected mechanically to be told that, as long as it would tick over for the duration of the inspection, that was enough. It suited us to accept their offer (and to wait a few days for the money).

Got a price from them for my previous Merc and used it to get a better deal from the dealer on my new one.

Don’t go near WBAC. As others have said, maybe use them for the absolute least you can expect, before they low ball you further.

Our experience with WBAC is that cosmetic condition is everything. We had a Corsa due a service and wanted to move to something else. While the WBAC operative was making a forensic examination of the bonnet to search for stonechips to reduce the original offer, I asked what they expected mechanically to be told that, as long as it would tick over for the duration of the inspection, that was enough. It suited us to accept their offer (and to wait a few days for the money).
Of course. It's being resold. This year on my car, a 2009 model with 190k miles, I've spent £500 on an unavoidable repair to the brakes, £250 on servicing, and £500 on paint repairs. The paint has added that much to the value, the repairs and servicing nothing.

Thank you all very much for the helpful replies and sharing your experience. Useful information. It seems quite a mixed bag of, maybe dependant on the desirability of the car and individual staff members.

This is a 12 year old car with 85k miles up, so no show pony. I always forget, then am painfully reminded, when selling a car at the bottom end of the market, that I may attract punters I'd not normally wish to associate with. The worst are the ones who would like a good look around my yard, asking nosey questions and wandering about looking into sheds and workshop uninvited, as if we should all be best pals just because they have turned up to view a car for sale. ( Maybe I am just an anti-social cove though).
Tight arses always like a good look around and a good chat. They lack manners and will enquire into your private business. They do this because its free.
I'm currently closing down a business that I've run for many years (Im bored with it) I'm giving away a lot of equipment and shop fittings etc because I cant be bothered with the type of 'customer' cheap, second hand items bring.

Tight arses always like a good look around and a good chat. They lack manners and will enquire into your private business. They do this because its free.
I'm currently closing down a business that I've run for many years (Im bored with it) I'm giving away a lot of equipment and shop fittings etc because I cant be bothered with the type of 'customer' cheap, second hand items bring.
People who take things for free can be even worse!

Christ yes. They value it at what they are paying and treat you accordingly.
Oh yes. Earlier this year I had a couple who'd already collected an item or two get back in touch and enquire about something else. Yes, as long as you can collect it today I replied. Then I was informed of their postcode with a request for delivery. Ghosted and deservedly so. Then there was the person who actually went to the trouble of making up several increasingly unlikely excuses why they couldn't turn up at the agreed time. But the absolute best was the fantasist who bought a sideboard on eBay for £1(ie free), didn't turn up, replied saying he was on his way but his mate with the van was running late and then eventually claimed he'd got a flat on the way and was having to wait hours in the baking sun for assistance and sent me a photo of a flat tyre he'd obviously grabbed from the web. Luckily I already had him sussed and had organised a back up with people who turned out to be serious.

Also had trouble with the BHF who refused to take several items and were very snotty despite having not asked me simple questions about the items beforehand to avoid exactly the scenario that transpired. I'll never be donating to them again.

People who take things for free can be even worse!
Lol. Nah.... Because I'm giving, I can afford to be blunt.
".... The item will be waiting by the door for you. You will not be able to look round sadly. Forgive me for being very brief : I'm busy"

Never had much problem with giving stuff away via freecycle TBH ...

Most were collected with a minimum of fuss :)
Most pleasing was when I gave away a trampoline to a family who turned up in a ramshackle transit, they dismantled the thing and stowed it away in the van.
I then offered them my daughter's rather dilapidated wooden playhouse (only the floor was rotten) and said they could collect another day.
They were pleased as punch (especially their little girl) so asked if they could take it straight away - which they did, dismantled and strapped the panels to the top of the van !!!
Only hope they got home in one piece....

Ebay it. Be honest with the description and pictures and it will sell for its market value.

Last two cars I auctioned with no reserve made exactly what I wanted (and more than I paid for either). Most recently nobody even came to view it or test drive it, just won the auction and turned up the next day and collected it.

There are so many wannabe car flippers and people scouring Ebay motors for a bargain that there is no way anything goes cheap or under the radar unless it is a really poor description/pictures.

Ebay it. Be honest with the description and pictures and it will sell for its market value.

Depends where you are located. Under 100k people in a 30 mile radius of where I live, so chances of getting a decent price are limited.

Depends where you are located. Under 100k people in a 30 mile radius of where I live, so chances of getting a decent price are limited.

Guy came from much further than 30 miles to pick up my last one, for cars at least people are willing to travel it's not like Hi-Fi.

There is no way a car ends cheap on ebay unless there is either something drastically wrong with it or the listing is terrible.

EBay can be good, it can also be a complete pain. It’s down to luck.

Selling to the WBAC types has one great advantage: as you wave bye bye to the car, you no longer have any responsibility for it, there’s no comeback.
Selling to individual buyers, as some on PFM who have sold hifi on eBay etc will testify, can turn into a time consuming expensive mistake, no matter how clever you think you are. And if you’ve sold to someone who lives in a mobile home, keeps a dag, and owns a milk churn or two, you just do exactly what they ask.

No thanks.

Last year I sold my Boxster to WBAC. They initially offered about £4K more than my usual Porsche main dealer.
The buyer I spoke to from the Porsche garage said if WBAC offer you anywhere near their initial quote, take it.
At the inspection appointment they only knocked off about £100 from the initial quote. The car was in superb condition,with only a tiny amount if cosmetic damage, minor stone chips etc.
I was extremely happy with the deal & the process.
So it may come down to the condition & the desirability of the car your selling.
But on my experience I would say give WBAC a go. Other than half a day of time, there’s not much to lose.

advertisement

Back