advertisement

Harvey Weinstein

By today's super-sensitive standards of "sexual harassement" one would probably find that 6 in 10 of the general population could truthfully say they have been sexually harassed at some point in their lives.

That would be 100% of the female population and 10% of the male population. (I would constitute part of the 90% of the male population).

Speaking for myself, when I was young and (presumably) appetizing I remember being accosted, approached, even "hands-on" by older gay men.

In Italy or U.K?

Sorry - my only tale is dull in comparison.
When I was around 20 was propositioned by a middle aged woman who had a sugar mummy type relationship in mind.

Speaking for myself, when I was young and (presumably) appetizing I remember being accosted, approached, even "hands-on" by older gay men.

paul.

similar thing with me. half a dozen incidents that i recall (with disgust), one of which was at age 14. when i was at grad school, i had to stop going to the local park to read because i would get propositioned within 5 minutes just about every time - i suppose that's "legitimate" but a massive annoyance in my life at the time.

With the details you'd be feeling embarrassment - it was extremely awkward!

I hope youthful fitness enabled you to escape the clutches of the old b'stards!?

Let's just say that from 15-16 onwards I and my friends knew there were what we referred to as "queers" and we knew how to stay out of their clutches. It was really no big thing, not disturbing or traumatic. For us it was just one aspect of discovering he adult world. But I dare say that for others in weaker situations it might indeed have been traumatic.
All my female friends have told me how they have been sexually harassed. In the street, on the bus, at work, etc. Perhaps this will change now, I wonder...

I'm surprised there is all this interest! Seems pretty banal to me. Maybe it is a generational thing, I was born in 1952 so was a teenager in the late 60s - early 'seventies.

I'm surprised there is all this interest! Seems pretty banal to me. Maybe it is a generational thing, I was born in 1952 so was a teenager in the late 60s - early 'seventies.

I suppose the issue rightly arises when some people are unable to dismiss these advances or feel threatened maybe.

Bloss

Let's just say that from 15-16 onwards I and my friends knew there were what we referred to as "queers" and we knew how to stay out of their clutches. It was really no big thing, not disturbing or traumatic. For us it was just one aspect of discovering he adult world. But I dare say that for others in weaker situations it might indeed have been traumatic.
All my female friends have told me how they have been sexually harassed. In the street, on the bus, at work, etc. Perhaps this will change now, I wonder...
I have plenty of similar experiences. That's what really annoys me regarding the gay people. They are not very discriminate. I mean not that I'm not chauvinistic pig who given a chance wouldn't take advantage of position in similar circumstances Harvey Weinstein was in. Isn't it part of the reason people want to work in that business ?

I have plenty of similar experiences. That's what really annoys me regarding the gay people. They are not very discriminate. I mean not that I'm not chauvinistic pig who given a chance wouldn't take advantage of position in similar circumstances Harvey Weinstein was in. Isn't it part of the reason people want to work in that business ?

Perhaps there was/is a stronger recreational, sporting factor in homosexual encounters. Many of the "gays" I knew in the '70s and '80s had a great number of one-off encounters in strange places, between or during more lasting relationships.
I get the feeling that for many men ambition, professional, economic, political, is closely connected to sex.

I have plenty of similar experiences. That's what really annoys me regarding the gay people. They are not very discriminate. I mean not that I'm not chauvinistic pig who given a chance wouldn't take advantage of position.
That’s hilarious.

I think the continued activity and diversification on this thread demonstrates the point - this sort of behaviour was almost the accepted norm back in the day when people like Weinstein were misbehaving.

To retrospectively get all incensed and to single out an individual seems somewhat incongruous. By all means seek to prosecute where possible but media attention should focus on the general issue in the 20th century, the numbers of ordinary citizens that were impacted (both male and female) and on the long term impact of those crimes on those affected.

To suggest that one producer was a pervert whilst ignoring the bigger picture is, at best, neglectful. Meanwhile REAL crimes that impact millions of human beings the world over are being relegated to page 3 or 5 because of this tittle tattle which is of no importance to the lives of the majority of people.

I think the continued activity and diversification on this thread demonstrates the point - this sort of behaviour was almost the accepted norm back in the day when people like Weinstein were misbehaving.

To retrospectively get all incensed and to single out an individual seems somewhat incongruous. By all means seek to prosecute where possible but media attention should focus on the general issue in the 20th century, the numbers of ordinary citizens that were impacted (both male and female) and on the long term impact of those crimes on those affected.

To suggest that one producer was a pervert whilst ignoring the bigger picture is, at best, neglectful. Meanwhile REAL crimes that impact millions of human beings the world over are being relegated to page 3 or 5 because of this tittle tattle which is of no importance to the lives of the majority of people.

Yes, you are right. But from what has come out it would seem that Weinstein was really a swine in every possible way, taking advantage of his position, vindictive, etc.

Yes, Weinstein was obsessively active in his abuse.

Have you spent too much time reading tabloids?
I worked in theatre for 12 years (from the age of 12), and television for 20, and wasn't ever harassed or even propositioned by gay men.
Paedophilia has no more to do homosexuality then heterosexuality. istm you have no idea what you are posting about.

Tittle tattle, no importance, all in the past...This is a parody, right? Or are you preparing your defence?

advertisement

Back