advertisement

Harvesting Philips CDM9/44 laser units...

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
** Cross-posted on DIY Audio **

Just picked up another 2 of these Kodak PCD-860 Photo/CD players to add to my collection (I now have 4). A perfect supply for CDM9/44 laser assemblies, which the laser assembly is identical to the CDM9/Pro laser fitted to my 2 Naim CDIs (and many other high end players).

They are a perfect source of low mileage lasers - a photo cd player was something that never really caught on, so any out there are almost bound to be little used. Three of the 4 I have all displayed the exact same faults;

- Tray belt stretches so doesn't close tray fully
- This means laser mech is not in right position and it slams the upper disc clamp down onto the disc platter off centre, pushing the shitty plastic platter down onto the mech

For the 2 I've just bought I have just forced platter up .2-.4mm, fitted a temp belt to test laser - both working perfect. Now I strip the lasers and throw the rest away (a little guilty for the landfill, but apart from laser they're a crap machine!).

Look at these belts - proof of lack of use for a few years :)

51567780162_baf7b5ac89_b.jpg

Sharing this info now as I now have 6 suitable laser head donors for my 2 CDIs - should see me out for my life :) If you're after good 9/44s, keep your eye out for these (recent 2 cost me £17 each, they're always cheap).

51569505940_3dfdd24889_b.jpg

51568817893_f57e21f767_b.jpg

Richard

In the end I took the feet as well, feel surprisingly guilty for consigning rest of machines to recycling - if anyone's interested, they have the standard Philips RAM memory chips used for buffering data from laser, and JRC op-amps at output. I was going to take them out, but for what? I ordered 10 of the RAM chips cheaply when I need one, so have stock. And don't really fiddle with op-amps. If anyone is interested, let me know and I strip them - but otherwise to recycling next weekend :)

The haul;
51569000918_16b16934d5_b.jpg

Pure gold;
51569000893_d94c429b35_b.jpg

Into stock;
51569687685_f1980bddb5_b.jpg

Richard

Mike P was after JRC5534DD IIRC. For a rebuild for someone some time ago. Know what you mean it is a crying shame to junk them.

Great minds think alike @Dowser! Just last week I sent an ebay link to @sq225917 suggesting that this model might be a good source of a cheap spare CDM9 for his recently restored Audiolab transport.

What are the opamps? If they're JRC5532D or 5534D I'll definitely take them off your hands.

I too feel very uncomfortable about scrapping donor players but sometimes it needs to be done. If killing a Kodak PCD-860 saves a Naim CDI from the scrapheap, that's OK with me.

It has Motorola LM833Ns and JRC 4560Ds - nothing fancy I think. I just stole the T200mA fuse though :D

well the picture cd never took off and having tried the audio to confirm the laser was ok the sound was far from good so yes no hesitation in binning these for the bits. Good shout never thought about the feet

- Tray belt stretches so doesn't close tray fully
- This means laser mech is not in right position and it slams the upper disc clamp down onto the disc platter off centre, pushing the shitty plastic platter down onto the mech
Hello, I have come across your post as I have a Kodak PCD-865 and need to replace the tray belt.

Do you know the factory size of this belt?

Hello, I have come across your post as I have a Kodak PCD-865 and need to replace the tray belt.

Do you know the factory size of this belt?
I’m afraid not, sorry - I have a pack of assorted size belts I got off eBay - they were a bit thinner than stock, but worked…no idea how long for though :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back