advertisement

Hardest Place in Britain

Glasgow's still mental, it's not at all obvious at times especially with the number of immigrants to the city now and tourists etc but say the wrong thing to the wrong person in the wrong place and you'll regret it.

Per the chainsaw thread, my wife works in Cardonald on Glasgow's Southside, we're talking 1970s level of Glasgow mentalness here and I'm talking about during the day God only knows how bad it is a night.

I live in the leafy suburbs and rarely ever hear any of trouble and if there is it's usually someone arguing about the placement of a wheelie bin but go to Easterhouse or Possil, Penilee or Pollock and you'll see a completely different Glasgow.

They take no prisoners in those sort of places and frankly never have.

As I Glaswegian I know the boundaries, I've not been in the city centre for about four years now but I'm told it's bonkers.

that'll be all those civil servant types working at Lunar House then?
No idea. I’ve lived in Glasgow, Leeds, Eastbourne, Hastings, Brighton, the Highlands, France and the Netherlands. The greatest amount of brawls and punch ups I witnessed by far were in Eastbourne and Croydon.

Glasgow's still mental, it's not at all obvious at times especially with the number of immigrants to the city now and tourists etc but say the wrong thing to the wrong person in the wrong place and you'll regret it.

Per the chainsaw thread, my wife works in Cardonald on Glasgow's Southside, we're talking 1970s level of Glasgow mentalness here and I'm talking about during the day God only knows how bad it is a night.

I live in the leafy suburbs and rarely ever hear any of trouble and if there is it's usually someone arguing about the placement of a wheelie bin but go to Easterhouse or Possil, Penilee or Pollock and you'll see a completely different Glasgow.

They take no prisoners in those sort of places and frankly never have.

As I Glaswegian I know the boundaries, I've not been in the city centre for about four years now but I'm told it's bonkers.
I went to school in Paisley. I’ll say no more!

I went to school in Paisley. I’ll say no more!

Aye exactly. I was brought up in the Gorbals and contrary to popular myth it was actually a really nice quiet place except for the stabbings 🤣

I went to School in the Oatlands which is just along the road from The Gorbals and a potential death sentence if you came from the Gorbals.

BTW OP, Ruchhill is basically Maryhill which is completely off it's chump

Last edited:
Someone posted in the Music section about Jimmy Somerville coming from Ruchill in Glasgow and what a hard area it was. Just wondered what the hardest area in Britain was? Glasgow must be well up the list.

My Dad grew up in Cheetham Hill (Manchester) in the 50s. He said everyone was dirt poor and many of them were involved in petty crime, especially theft, but it wasn’t that violent. Drugs came in after he left and worse crime and much more violence followed. My Grandma and Uncle lived there into the 80s, in the same house, it was really grim going to visit.

Other than that I had a pretty sheltered up bringing, probably the worst place I’ve been out in is Brambles Farm, Middlesbrough, was out with a local but still couldn’t settle.

Cheers BB
I worked in Manchester 1972-1976 and back then then Manchester was way behind the curve and Cheetham Hill was an abysmal dump. I drove through it on a regular basis and never got out of the car. I lived in Rochdale and my second son was born in an abysmal building called Rochdale Hospital. He was born in a corridor. My wife has moaned at me ever since about placing her in such an awful place.

I think half the problem with places like Rochdale was lousy Members of Parliament who were just not up to the job. Back in my day the MP was Cyril Smith and how the hell he got elected is one of the mysteries of life. He did absolutely nothing for the area and his only interest was in promoting himself which, in all fairness, he was very good at. He also made a good job of promoting a local abestos making company Turner & Newall which eventually went bust due to litigation. There were many allegations of payola.

After Cyril departed, Rochdale has enjoyed being represented by people no one else would touch with a barge pole, namely Simon Danczuk and George Galloway. So you have to ask the question, why do they do it. With MPs like them, the north has no chance. All of these were fairly elected and took a large chunk of the vote, so they must have been popular.

I Back in my day the MP was Cyril Smith and how the hell he got elected is one of the mysteries of life. He did absolutely nothing for the area and his only interest was in promoting himself
He’s actually now better known for having an overriding interest in a decidedly nefarious activity.

He’s actually now better known for having an overriding interest in a decidedly nefarious activity.
The awful thing was, it was known about even when he was an MP but he got it buried. Even David Steel was complicit in keeping it quiet because of the LibDems "nice people" image.

I worked in Manchester 1972-1976 and back then then Manchester was way behind the curve and Cheetham Hill was an abysmal dump. I drove through it on a regular basis and never got out of the car. I lived in Rochdale and my second son was born in an abysmal building called Rochdale Hospital. He was born in a corridor. My wife has moaned at me ever since about placing her in such an awful place.

I think half the problem with places like Rochdale was lousy Members of Parliament who were just not up to the job. Back in my day the MP was Cyril Smith and how the hell he got elected is one of the mysteries of life. He did absolutely nothing for the area and his only interest was in promoting himself which, in all fairness, he was very good at. He also made a good job of promoting a local abestos making company Turner & Newall which eventually went bust due to litigation. There were many allegations of payola.

After Cyril departed, Rochdale has enjoyed being represented by people no one else would touch with a barge pole, namely Simon Danczuk and George Galloway. So you have to ask the question, why do they do it. With MPs like them, the north has no chance. All of these were fairly elected and took a large chunk of the vote, so they must have been popular.

MI6 or 5 had a file on that bastard and still did nothing about him, he was going to be a senior cab minister in the liberal/Labour coalition government so they were panicking about him being blackmailed.

I remember from listening to Lenin of the Rovers that the hardest place in Britain is Crunchthorpe, where unemployment has been 103% since the bottom fell out of the excrement trade. The government use the town to store nuclear waste - just outside Freeman, Hardy and Willis.

On the other hand, the hardest place in Britain to pronounce is Letchworth, according to my French pal Christian.
Try him with
Cholmondeley, Barnoldswick & Milngavie ;)

The awful thing was, it was known about even when he was an MP but he got it buried. Even David Steel was complicit in keeping it quiet because of the LibDems "nice people" image.

Bit of an uphill struggle after Jeremy Thorpe although Paddy Pantsdown brought some jollity to the elctorate.

Maybe that's why they chose the current bland leader.

As twotone says, there are pockets here and there, it's not the whole city that's 'hard' and violent.

I grew up in Easterhouse between the late '70s-mid 90s and the two words that describe it best are feral and violent. Yep, feral and violent. I once saw a firearm being discharged, thankfully missing the intended victim, a guy who lived a few closes away from me killed some other guy from Garthamlock during summertime gang fighting season, not to mention I saw lots and lots of normal street violence. There was plenty of indoor violence as well. It was everywhere!

I remember when Frankie Vaughen returned to Easterhouse in the '80s, perhaps on the anniversary of his famous visit to Easterhouse in the '60s. There are some videos of his first visit on YouTube and although I hadn't yet been born, I'm full of admiration for having the guts to come to a place like Easterhouse and have a go at making it a better place to live for all concerned, especially the young guys at the heart of the gang culture. Considering this was long before the advent of internet influences and celebrities who'll show up anywhere when there's a camera rolling - or a smartphone recording - Frankie Vaughen had nothing to gain from his venture. He was simply moved to help because he felt it was the right thing to do. His music isn't my cup of tea, that's for sure. But he's a good guy, no ifs or buts about it. Respect!

I sometimes pass through Easterhouse nowadays and it seems to have changed for the better. The stock housing looks much better if nothing else. It's also more diverse than when I was there. You see people from various ethnic backgrounds and you even see people who are openly weird and different!

All that said, there's violence in the community and then there are extremely violent people that you just don't know about until you hear about them in the media. They're the ones to avoid!

Incidentally, an old classmate of mine, who was intellectually vulnerable, you might say (I mean that in an honest sense, it's not meant to be taken pejoratively), somehow ended up getting involved with a 'servitude' gang from Airdrie and was made to graft for peanuts or possibly nothing at all. I think he managed to get away with suffering only bog standard assault - which would probably have been enough to keep him in check, so to speak, but it was a dire situation I'm sure all the same.

Oh, and to whom it may concern, I grew up in Brunstane Road!

………..

On the other hand, the hardest place in Britain to pronounce is Letchworth, according to my French pal Christian.
My “home town” - the first garden city.
Not very hard, although during the ‘70’s there was a certain rivalry/bit of “aggro” between the “Jackmans” and “Grange” estates. There was a mass fight arranged (1972?) which I was invited to (difficult because i had friends who lived on both estates). Thankfully when both sides turned up we decided to have have a game of football instead 😅

I remember when Frankie Vaughen returned to Easterhouse in the '80s, perhaps on the anniversary of his famous visit to Easterhouse in the '60s. There are some videos of his first visit on YouTube and although I hadn't yet been born, I'm full of admiration for having the guts to come to a place like Easterhouse and have a go at making it a better place to live for all concerned, especially the young guys at the heart of the gang culture. Considering this was long before the advent of internet influences and celebrities who'll show up anywhere when there's a camera rolling - or a smartphone recording - Frankie Vaughen had nothing to gain from his venture. He was simply moved to help because he felt it was the right thing to do. His music isn't my cup of tea, that's for sure. But he's a good guy, no ifs or buts about it. Respect!

Yebbut, he never recorded a song about it. Stockport on the other hand...

advertisement

Back