advertisement

Hard to Drive the PMC MB2 SE?

You really need the speaker impedance curve to understand the power requirements and a brief web search didn't bring one up. My guess from the limited info we have (i.e. 200-800W amp required) is that this speaker has a cruel phase angle curve which means that at some frequencies more power might be dissipated by the output devices in the amp than what ends up in the drivers.

Take sensitivity with a pinch of salt as it may only be measured at one frequency and the manufactures don't give the necessary info to make it meaningful.

DV
Found this:

"
The MB2 is a claimed 90 dB/Wm efficient and
presents a very fair eight Ohm load, dipping only to
5.9 Ohms at 110 Hz."

Which would imply that as long as there aren't any nasty phase angles going on, it's a relatively moderate load.

As a comparable, my own speakers (not PMC) drop to very close to 4 ohms in a couple of places and there wasn't a hint of flabby or uncontrolled bass (to my ear) with an Arcam SA20 amp, which isn't a high current design and puts out 90W/ch

Had MB2's for several years and powered them (easily) with Bryston 14bsst's. Replaced the 14bsst's with an arcam sr250 which drove them easily (and nicely) in my room and to my listening levels (70-80db at listening pos). Much will depend on your friend's room size/listening level preferences etc.

FYI, my friend completed the transaction yesterday, picking up the speakers from a private hanger where the seller keeps his private jet. :eek:

Jet.jpg

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Side.jpg

My friend is now transitioning them from one vehicle to another, then accompanying them through a mountain range, across an international boundary, then back to home. Once there, he has to find someone to help him to do the setup, as these things are rather heavy.

It's been an epic journey for him! Thanks all for your insights and feedback. :)

BTW, he noted that one box's veneer is lighter than the other. I suspect the prior owner had them in a sunlit room, with one speaker in a corner with a bunch of windows, so it's become somewhat sun-bleached. My friend says that he'll be sure to put the darker one near the window, so that when he's an old man they'll eventually match. :D

Last edited:
BTW, he noted that one box seems lighter than the other. I suspect the prior owner had them in a sunlit room, with one speaker in a corner with a bunch of windows, so it's become somewhat sunbleached. My friend says that he'll be sure to put the darker one near the window, so that when he's an old man they'll eventually match. :D
I've bought speakers like this before. They should match in 2-3yrs. It's quite quick.

EDIT: not like the amazing speakers being referred to, but speakers that had bleaching issue.

Looking good , bet he will be happy :). Just a couple of thoughts , did he get the stands and I notice the bi-wire links are missing.

Looking good , bet he will be happy :). Just a couple of thoughts , did he get the stands and I notice the bi-wire links are missing.
Yes, he definitely got the stands as well.

The jumper strips were not present, and it hasn't been decided whether to replace them, or to just rejig his speaker cables. He's currently running Vandersteen Model 2ce Sig II. They have barrier strips, and Richard Vandersteen is really big on bi-wiring. Therefore, his quad-conductor cables are terminated with four small fork connectors to fit into the barrier strips. Those won't work with the 3-way MB2se and its bigger binding posts.

One possibility is to re-terminate his cables with banana plugs, like this:

Bananas.jpg

Alternately, he could get the jumper strip from PMC, but I think the approach above would make for better connections.

Last edited:
IB = intermediate box
I have PMC BB5 SE. BB5's are a 4 Ohm load so the each Nord amp puts out around 700 watts.
I use 2 x Nord NC 500 monoblocks per speaker - one drives the LF, the other drives the MF and HF.
LF control is superb, due to the very high damping factor the amps have. Low level listening is just as balanced as high level.
Hope this may be of interest.

Looking forward to a decent write up on how they sound . I tried the Twenty series PMC speakers (floorstanders - but I preferred B&W) but I would lust over the bigger beasts like these in the PMC range

Hope you like them…. Let’s hear some more

@Folkman - did you try any other larger speakers with your Osiris?

When i bought my MB2se i was also interested in listening to Kudos 808 which are virtually the same size and price. But when i enquired at a Kudos dealer [not my regular one] all they were interested in was stating that the Osiris was not good enough because it only cost £6500. Think they wanted to sell me a new amp ! So they never even got the chance off a sale.

But my regular dealer does do PMC and i had heard Fact 8 and 12 previously and liked what they did , but just felt i wanted more dynamics/realism.

So although PMC didnt have a dem pair of MB2 they assembled a pair for me to have on home trial. Tony @ Basically Sound collected them and delivered them and set them up for me. It was love at first listen and they never left. Been with me for getting on 6 years now and can see them outliving me ;).

Have heard these and the BB5 really sing and produce an amazing authoritive but when needed also delicate sound. Big PMC's take some beating if you can accommodate. Enjoy...

BB5's have proven to be my end game speakers.
I own other speakers that are likely technically superior, but the big PMC's are by far and away the most enjoyable that I have ever heard.
They put a massive smile on my face with their open and effortless sound, even at low volume. All the detail is there but refined with a subtleness and then, best of all for me, they have such a full and weighty presentation. Every instrument has real substance to it. My music now carries genuine physical impact which is great fun.

When i bought my MB2se i was also interested in listening to Kudos 808 which are virtually the same size and price. But when i enquired at a Kudos dealer [not my regular one] all they were interested in was stating that the Osiris was not good enough because it only cost £6500. Think they wanted to sell me a new amp ! So they never even got the chance off a sale.

But my regular dealer does do PMC and i had heard Fact 8 and 12 previously and liked what they did , but just felt i wanted more dynamics/realism.

So although PMC didnt have a dem pair of MB2 they assembled a pair for me to have on home trial. Tony @ Basically Sound collected them and delivered them and set them up for me. It was love at first listen and they never left. Been with me for getting on 6 years now and can see them outliving me ;).
Thanks. That’s interesting because Paul Darwin (a contributor on here and worked for Rega) owned an Osiris and used it with the Kudos T88 - then moved to the newer 808 and was allegedly very happy. Shame you didn’t get a chance to try them - the 808s also won an award in Hifi+ annual awards

A friend has MB2 SE and put them on GAIA, without he found the room boomed along with the music, with the issue disappeared.

A friend has MB2 SE and put them on GAIA, without he found the room boomed along with the music, with the issue disappeared.
My buddy uses Gaia feet to good effect with his Vandersteen speakers. He was pondering whether to do the same with the MB2se. Based upon your report, that seems likely.

I use my MB2se in a fully treated room and had an excellent sound to start with but even then i found Townshend Podiums made a massive improvement in the sound quality . They are also recommended by PMC themselves. So worth thinking about if you can live with the looks, I personally think they look good.

advertisement

Back