advertisement

Harbeth XD - What's The Difference

<moderating>

I’ve removed some posts as they are beyond the scope of pfm’s AUP. I am not interested in hosting specific consumer issues. I am not interested in hosting arguments and squabbles from elsewhere. The site rules on as hominem are also perfectly clear. I’ve only had a very quick delete as I’ve more important things I should be doing, but any further posts from this point returning to such content will be deleted and the posters removed from the thread.

I've been able to follow Harbeth since 1977 and it's been an interesting journey for me. Alan said in a HUG post not long ago that he balanced his older models a bit on the 'restrained' side (I'm being polite) and with a slightly excessive bass in the HL5 family, at least at first and especially in smaller rooms. Compared to whizz-bang 'HiFi' alternatives at shows, Harbeths often sounded too safe and boring to me. Having said that, many UK buyers welcomed the lack of screech and fizz that all too many alternatives still offer in this ageing audio-listener market.

I never liked the C7-ES3, finding the mid-bass warmth overpowering even in free space, but I was stunned by the 7-XD version as to how much better balanced it seemed and so effortlessly clear but without aforementioned screech or fizz. In comparison, the M30.2-XD sounded slightly 'tubby' to me (room will dictate really but this was a known room and system) and opposite of what I heard comparing 7-ES3 and 5+ with M30.1 (I've compared 30 with its direct spiritual ancestor LS5/9 and then the 30.1 which 'flattened' the measured downtilt response of it's forebear and removed the upper mid suckout of the original issue 5/9).

Got to say I wasn't keen on the 5+ at first, but using a powerful amp as all-but insisted by the maker, the penny dropped for me and I began to respect and then to love them. The 5-XD is similar in balance from memory (memories are terribly unreliable though), but the XD just seems a little clearer and easier to listen to I feel.

The post above complaining about driver finish should be addressed to the supplying dealer and then the factory via the distributor (let them work for their profits!). maybe the poster could take a look at other samples to confirm his don't 'look' right. There's a habit in some markets to rip the grilles off all speakers regardless if they do better with them in place, but one man's ugly screws, port holes and cones-domes is another's wonderful looking tech, so there ya go :D

The price increase is sad for the likes of me now, as I'd love to replace my SHL5's for the XD version knowing how the balance has changed, but there are genuine commercial reasons why, as the brand was beginning to look too cheap in some markets especially when compared with the obvious competing alternatives from a similar distant ancestry - and post-Covid shipping charges are obscene now compared to before. Getting parts and so on is now a nightmare and I can now see why so many businesses fought 'Brexit' so strongly where their businesses in the short term were concerned. If anyone wants to read about how this can affect a smallish electronics form, look at the Schiit blog on Head-Fi. Jason has written monthly blog updates there and from the first 2021 posting, he gave a write-up on the situation they're facing with backorders, difficulty in getting parts, let alone of the right quality, trying to allocate stock to worldwide distributors (the UK/Europe concern is out of many models) and so on.

Hope the above doesn't hinder.

interesting read. Thanks for the detailed view. I can’t comment on the c7 as I’ve never heard a pair but my Harbeth history is Super HL5plus, Monitor 30.1, Monitor 30.2 40th AE, Shl5 plus 40th AE, Monitor 30.2 XD.

I agree that the M30 range is slightly tilted in the upper bass especially compared to the hl5 series but on the 40 anniversary I think the 30.2 is very very enjoyable. The 40th anniversary hl5 was bright and I just couldn’t get the tweeter to calm down with positioning etc.

Also the m30 series is a more engaging sound. It’s snappier and more upbeat. In comparison the hl5 series sounds noticeably slower with obviously more deeper bass response and a little larger on scale.

The 30.2 XD is a funny one because Ive had it sounding super exciting and fun with a Naim 52/135 system but then suddenly it seemed to be lacking the deepest bass. I think it is definitely tilted more to airy sound (smidge harsh) than the AE version. I will revisit the XD 30.2 next week to see if I will buy it again as I’ve become jaded listening to speakers for a year now and still undecided on which ones to buy.

My favorites are M30 but I'd choose the Graham eqvivalent, no bs

Graham would be my first choice.

I will revisit the XD 30.2 next week to see if I will buy it again as I’ve become jaded listening to speakers for a year now and still undecided on which ones to buy.

Old post but thought I'd update this thread. After living with the Harbeth SHL5 and SHL5+ for more than a decade, I got a bit sick of it and needed a change. The SHL5+ did a lot of things right and very little wrong, but I was just getting bored.

I did consider replacing the SHL5+ with the M30.2 or 30.2 XD. I listened to the 30.2 at the dealers and it's a different sound. I could have lived with it but in the end picked up a pair of Graham LS5/9 late last year.

Long story short, if you find the 30.2 XD to lack something, perhaps try the LS5/9. In direct comparison with the SHL5+, the Graham sounds a bit more open with better clarity and detail. The nuance and fine detail in music are reproduced more convincingly with the Graham.

The 30.2 lacks a bit of air in comparison to the SHL5+ and LS5/9. If the 30.2 XD addressed this, then perhaps it will sound rather close to the LS5/9. FWIW I now find the Graham LS5/9 to sound more enjoyable than the SHL5+ owing much to the increased clarity, transparency and detail.

On a separate matter, I also find the the Graham ls5/9 on lightweight open frame stands to benefit greatly from a pair of Isoacoustics Gaia. Personally I find the Gaias to be indispensable for the LS5/9 and perhaps 30.2 as well. They resolved the unnatural bass/midbass reproduction of the Grahams apart from music sounding cleaner with reduced smear.

Last edited:
The 30.2 XD is a funny one because Ive had it sounding super exciting and fun with a Naim 52/135 system but then suddenly it seemed to be lacking the deepest bass.

If the comparison was made in a different room then it's of little worth. A speaker will interact differently in the bass if you move it in the same room let alone in a different room. Once you move away from your room and system your references go away...
And, as the poster you quoted quite rightly wrote

memories are terribly unreliable though

The 30.2 lacks a bit of air in comparison to the SHL5+ and LS5/9.

Interestingly the GA LS5/9 is the one which rolls off in the 'air' range (>16kHz).
Both Harbeths produce a flat response up to 20kHz but the SHL5 uses a metal dome which breaks up massively above 20kHz and that may impact the top end with close-mic'ed studio music.
Of the M30 has the best tweeter, which is why you hardly hear it, but judging from people's choices on several forums I would expect most not to like such a discreet-sounding tweeter.

If the comparison was made in a different room then it's of little worth. A speaker will interact differently in the bass if you move it in the same room let alone in a different room. Once you move away from your room and system your references go away...
And, as the poster you quoted quite rightly wrote
Room has always been the same. I can’t explain what happened as I even had Harbeth bench test the speaker. Maybe I suddenly had a change of hearing but whether it was my amp, source or something else, I definitely noticed a reduced amount of low end grunt. I cannot conclusively say what happened other than the speaker had satisfactory bass compared to my 30.2 AE and when it fully broke in it was more neutral- as we know the 30.2s are known to have a slight mid bass emphasis (which I do enjoy)

Last edited:
Room has always been the same. I can’t explain what happened as I even had Harbeth bench test the speaker. Maybe I suddenly had a change of hearing but whether it’s my amp, source or something else, I definitely noticed a reduced amount of low end grunt. I cannot conclusively say what happened other than the speaker had satisfactory bass compared to my 30.2 AE and when it fully broke in it was more neutral- as we know the 30.2s are known to have a slight mass bass emphasis (which I do enjoy)

A different amplifier can alter the combined amp+speaker response, particularly with Class A low outpt impedance amps.
Once I had a prospective buyer of my speakers bring over a Modwright integrated and the bass trasnformed itself beyond recognition.

A different amplifier can alter the combined amp+speaker response, particularly with Class A low outpt impedance amps.
Once I had a prospective buyer of my speakers bring over a Modwright integrated and the bass trasnformed itself beyond recognition.
This story reminds me of the first time I heard a Naim power amp. My first experience of high end. I couldn’t believe the bass. This was on HL5 plus. Later realised the bass wasn’t as tight as I’d like it to be but the speaker was still very very enjoyable.

interesting read. Thanks for the detailed view. I can’t comment on the c7 as I’ve never heard a pair but my Harbeth history is Super HL5plus, Monitor 30.1, Monitor 30.2 40th AE, Shl5 plus 40th AE, Monitor 30.2 XD.

I agree that the M30 range is slightly tilted in the upper bass especially compared to the hl5 series but on the 40 anniversary I think the 30.2 is very very enjoyable. The 40th anniversary hl5 was bright and I just couldn’t get the tweeter to calm down with positioning etc.

Also the m30 series is a more engaging sound. It’s snappier and more upbeat. In comparison the hl5 series sounds noticeably slower with obviously more deeper bass response and a little larger on scale.

The 30.2 XD is a funny one because Ive had it sounding super exciting and fun with a Naim 52/135 system but then suddenly it seemed to be lacking the deepest bass. I think it is definitely tilted more to airy sound (smidge harsh) than the AE version. I will revisit the XD 30.2 next week to see if I will buy it again as I’ve become jaded listening to speakers for a year now and still undecided on which ones to buy.
I can now comment on why my 30.2XDs suddenly lost the bass impact and punch/slam whatever you want to call it. It was the Tontrager stands. I just never realised at the time as my system was going through so many changes.

Earlier this year after becoming jaded in my pursuit of finding a speaker I revisited another pair of 30.2XDs. This time on open frame metal stands (temporary) and the magic returned. Not realising what had caused the magic to return I ordered the Tontrager stands again and once again I lost the visceral punch and dynamics from the speakers. This time however I had realised that it was the speaker stands.

I’ve now got them sitting on real solid rosewood stands and they are sounding sublime. The best I’ve ever achieved.

From my long and arduous journey I concluded that the Harbeth 30.2XDs have the most engaging sound of all. They strike a perfect balance between midrange treble and bass. Most people will be surprised at the bass part but in order to get bass from Harbs you really need a lot of power. Integrated amps are a big No no.

advertisement

Back