advertisement

Harbeth Monitor 30 Speaker measured by Amir of ASR

amateur.png

Interesting that he couldn't be bothered to listen to them.

To be fair:

1. he says he hasn't had time yet. That's not quite the same as not being bothered.

2. there are plenty of people of people posting on the internet about how speakers sound (to them, in their room, in their system, on the music they like ...). There aren't many people doing the kind of testing Amir is now doing, and putting the results online.

Regarding M30 vs LSR305mk2:

- the Harbeth has a much narrower directivity which is far more adequate to untreated domestic rooms
- the JBL shows loads of peaks in the frequency response around/above the crossover frequency region which could be caused by the kevlar cone's break-up resonances
- the JBL is a bright-sounding speaker as can be seen by the estimated in-room response plot which should be tilting downwards from bass to treble but is a horizontal line
- the estimated in-room is similarly flat on both speakers, but the Harbeth has a fuller upperbass-midrange which will sound (psychoacoustically) a lot better balanced tone-wise

A few comments:

He seems to be confusing narrower directivity at the crossover frequency with room issues.

He doesn't seem to have noticed that Stereophile's measurements are an averaged combination of plots made over a very wide listening window.

There's no CSD which would help find traces of cone break-up resonances.

The dimentions of the graphs are different making comparisons difficult.

Stereophile uses 6dB/octave smoothing; it would help to know what ASR uses.

Stereophile and Soundstage use a 50dB-wide range in the vertical scale; ASR should use this as standard.

The M30.2 measured by Sphile is flatter on-axis than the M30, as can be seen in the measurements below:

frequency_listeningwindow.gif

Harbeth M30, averaged listening window (Soundstage, anechoic)

frequency_on1530.gif

Harbeth M30, on-axis, 15°, 30° (Soundstage, anechoic)

index.php

318harbeth.H302fig3.jpg

Harbeth M30.2, averaged listening window (Stereophile)

9ERxT2a.jpg

Harbeth M30.2, on-axis (HiFi germany)

They're 18 years old.

Yes, but Amir can only test products that he has access to, which generally means what his forum member are willing to send him.

And the current M30.2 (retailing in the UK at almost £4K) is very much an evolution of the older M30. Also the key problem that Amir's test highlight, the power response dip, is a result of handing over from an 8" woofer to a 1" tweeter. That hasn't changed.

(PS I've owned M30s, and other Harbeths, and can imagine owning them again in the future.)

The M30.2 was £3895 but was a 'limited edition' and is now finished.

The M30.1 is £2995 in Cherry.

The measurements of all the models has improved noticeably over the 18 years since that M30 was produced.

To be fair:

1. he says he hasn't had time yet. That's not quite the same as not being bothered.

2. there are plenty of people of people posting on the internet about how speakers sound (to them, in their room, in their system, on the music they like ...). There aren't many people doing the kind of testing Amir is now doing, and putting the results online.

I agree with point 1.
Regarding point 2, Amir needs to improve his methodology and his comments show some lack of understanding in my view (see above).

Reactions: irb

The measurements of all the models has improved noticeably over the 18 years since that M30 was produced.

Indeed.
The M30.1 lost the BBC dip, and the M30.2 is flatter in the treble (though there seems to be a bit of shelving in the top octaves):

xu1qCin.png

iYUvZfU.png

Sorry, dIdn't realise the M30.2 was only a limited edition. (Slightly strange marketing strategy from Harbeth, I'd have thought, leaving the 30.1 looking like it's been superceeded.)

Yes, the measurements will have improved in more recent versions - in some respects. The laws of physics haven't changed though. (Apologies for channeling Scotty). The directivity of an 8" driver and a 1" driver are always going to be very different.

I loved the Harbeths I owned, but I've moved away from them, and the speakers I use at the moment (Martin Logans and Pentachord/Bandor, each with their own set of compromises) use a single driver/diaphragm to cover the whole mid/treble from a few hundred hertz upwards. With hindsight, I'm pretty sure it was the discontinuity in directivity that led me away from Harbeths towards what I now use.

Having said that, I can imagine going back to Harbeths - they are superb speakers. And I accept that Amir's report on them doesn't really do them justice. But equally his tests don't lie, and they do reveal the effects of the key compromise at the heart of the M30 design - and every other speaker that hands over from an 8" woofer to a 1" tweeter (as so many classic British speakers, from the Spendor BC1 onwards, do).

I’ve got a pair of M30.1 here now which I think are about 12 years ahead of the M30 design. I’m very impressed but it’s hard to let go of the P3ESR.

Clearly the format of the reviews needs developing with a standard set of measurements included in all reviews to enable comparisons plus a supporting set of measurements to show whatever of interest was thrown up during the review. This is likely to happen as Amir becomes more familiar with the hardware.

Until he has started to learn how to translate what the measurements show into what is heard within his listening environment he is perhaps wise to keep away from discussing subjective impressions. If and when he does start I hope he sticks to technical terminology and wholly rejects audiophile terminology. We will see.

Amir himself lacks basic technical knowledge about speakers which is fixable if he wants and is able to learn which is uncertain. For example, he seems to have eventually picked up that waterfall plots are not particularly useful but a year or two ago when I was active someone he banned made this point giving the reasoning but he did not seem to pick it up at the time. Nonetheless this is progress albeit slow. Likewise he doesn't understand the dip on axis above the crossover but someone later in the thread posted clearly and simply what it does. So far this seems to have been ignored by Amir and other posters. It will be picked up eventually because it is a fact and won't go away but how quickly will be interesting. He also doesn't seem to understand the details of how Stereophile and SoundStage take measurements and hence what can and cannot be read across and how. Some of the posters do seem to and so this should improve with time. Early days.

The measurements themselves show that given the major constraints of a 2 way speaker on a flat baffle the performance looks to be close to the best one could reasonably expect. A deeper waveguide on the tweeter would almost certainly help but I suspect that is not something those willing to pay a high price for ye olde worlde speakers would want. The cabinet may be audible but again a BBC type cabinet is almost certainly a significant part of what customers value. Although incomplete as a review it contains useful and interesting information. Within the context of a modern implementation of 50 year old BBC speaker it seems well implemented and I would lean towards being a bit more positive.

Regarding the BBC dip, this is taken from a piece written by H. D. Harwood (Harbeth's father) for the Wireless World magazine in 1976 titled "Some Factors In Loudspeaker Quality":

QyxvnaP.jpg

Until he has started to learn how to translate what the measurements show into what is heard within his listening environment he is perhaps wise to keep away from discussing subjective impressions. If and when he does start I hope he sticks to technical terminology and wholly rejects audiophile terminology. We will see.

Care to give an example of each? I'm curious, for example, how one would convey a speaker's ability (or inability) to image in a way that casts a "convincing and seamless soundstage with appreciable width and depth" using purely technical terminology, or at least technical terminology that would make sense to the reader.

Care to give an example of each? I'm curious, for example, how one would convey a speaker's ability (or inability) to image in a way that casts a "convincing and seamless soundstage with appreciable width and depth" using purely technical terminology, or at least technical terminology that would make sense to the reader.
An interesting question. Imaging is probably best not considered a direct independent property of a speaker in the manner of distortion or frequency response because of the major role played by reflections in stereo image perception. The most useful measures to compare speakers are likely to involve the speaker in standard rooms (lively, dead, good acoustics, bad acoustics,...). There are a bunch of existing objective measures for apparent source location, envelopment, spaciousness, apparent source width, etc... available in the psychoacoustics literature but I am not sufficiently familiar to make recommendations.

Objectively quantifying the quality of the stereo effect in a meaningful way with a set of values that differ over a set of standard rooms is going to require anyone wishing to make sense of them to possess a basic understanding of how we perceive sound in rooms. What is then considered optimum is going to vary between people that consider the stereo imaging of headphones good/bad and how strongly they weight things that require trading like pinpoint imaging and spaciousness/envelopment. Not sure it would be embraced by the more subjective audiophiles.

There aspects of performance that affect "soundstage" which can be measured.
The aforementioned BBC dip is one of them – by artificialy exaggerationg or attenuating the presence region the phanton sources appear subjectively closer or more distant –, another is dispersion width and smoothness and the way it interacts with the room boundaries, etc.
But as mentioned by @h.g. the "soundstage effect" is significantly affected/enhanced by the acoustic properties and topographic characteristics of the room.
And because sharper image focus is achieved by toe-ing the speakers towards the listener, "imaging" and "soundstageing" tend not to go well together.

Just to make clear what I mean by "imaging" and "soundstage" (from Stereophile's Glossary):

imaging The measure of a system's ability to float stable and specific phantom images, reproducing the original sizes and locations of the instruments across the soundstage. See "stereo imaging."

stereo imaging The production of stable, specific phantom images of correct localization and width. See "soundstaging," "vagueness," "wander."

soundstaging, soundstage presentation The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.

advertisement

Back