advertisement

Happy Independence Day

Wilson

SCTV half wit
Wishing a Happy Fourth of July to fellow American fishies!

fourth_61.jpg

Not American, but does not stop me wishing you the same. At Ford here in UK we celebrated Henry's 150th birthday today as well (not sure if it was his actual birthday but what the heck....all part of the celebrations none the less)

Have a great day.

Rich.

Yes, Happy 4th July.

It still makes me laugh to think about the 'liberation' of Americans because of taxes, and the great 'freedom' that stemmed from the Boston Tea Party, when in fact it was really only a power grab and those that made the stand became huge politicians and extremely wealthy..and then collected their taxes for themselves. All in a Puritan area where lawlessness was unheard of. I think this is why Americans conveniently choose to not understand irony.
:)

All in all though, I admire that they do it for themselves and are part of something that they created. That is something to feel patriotic about. It's much better than being a subject of a Monarch.

"Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
President Thomas Whitmore
July 4th, 1996

Could all have been so different if GB had given the American states a bit more autonomy. I need to find some bourbon for a toast to the USA.

Have fun y'all, you are quite safe, someone is looking over you. A few beers and you won't care!

Edit. Barney flats oatmeal stout is a good one to get rid of your worries.

when in fact it was really only a power grab and those that made the stand became huge politicians and extremely wealthy..and then collected their taxes for themselves.

Actually, according to this fascinating volume that I've just finished:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1402206976/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Independence was to preserve slavery. A judgement in an English court in the mid-18th century gave freedom to a slave accompanying his American master. The southern colonies, whose wealth depended on slavery, were mortified that this extension of English law could also become law in the American colonies. As the book points out, the South essentially seceded twice, first from England (successfully) and secondly from the USA (unsuccessfully). The authors are two distinguished lawyers, who have a feeling for the nuances of the law (and many of the US Founding Fathers were practising lawyers).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Drinking an American real ale on hand pump right now called independance day! Made by firestone walker brewery..... We taught you well, its delicious ! Have a nice day now y'all!

advertisement

Back