advertisement

Happy 30th birthday to the CD

Ouch, my first player was a Phillips CD104. Only had a 14 bit dac when cds were 16 bit so I guess it was never going to be the best start for me.

Mine was a first generation portable Sony Discman. It might have 16 bit's in the DA, but it sounded realllllly dreadful.

JohanR

You are kidding, I've just started a collection...

On the basis that you can pick up Albums for less than £2 ('that's entertainment') I can't see any reason to rip/stream/buy a digital collection. To get any real benefit you need to invest in higher quality studio recordings at 10 times the price of a CD.

I remember seeing the Tomorrow's World demo when I was 6 years old - didn't they say something like 'You won't be able to hear just how good this is through your TV set at home, but take it from us, it sounds amazing in the studio!'?

That CD player was cool though - a door loading silver thing IIRC with Bee Gee's 'Living eyes' CD.

I had a Marantz CD54 (Philips CD104 tarted up) a while back, and barring slow track access, it sounded OK. I've got a Denon DCD1150 (I think?) from 1984 that I acquired a couple of years ago and that's surprisingly good as well.

You'd be amazed at what early CDs go for - "Now that's what I call music 4" frequently goes on Ebay for around £500...

Well I was there very near the start with a Marantz CD63B. Do I get a medal? :D I have recently been doing up a Phillips CD104.
Its a pity the Phillips soldering wasnt up to the standard of the truly superb CDM1 laser unit.

I never really fell for the pefect sound forever marketing and who would have replicated the syrup test on a home player? we soon put that one to bed when realising a small mark could cause a skip.

It is something I wanted to try out fairly quickly though. The marantz brought a solid presentation and I was very impressed with the actual silence free from surface noise, clicks and pops. I thought it was very good for the money!

I do think people were very harsh on the new medium. They still are! I suspect many of them dreaded the thought of replacing their large vinyl collections :)

I also liked my Rega Planar 3 so Im not getting into the vinyl vs cd debate.

First CD player was a CD104 which packed up after a few weeks (Replaced by the plasticy CD304).

First CD was 'Force Majeure' bought for £11.99- I remember trying to convince myself that it sounded better than the (clear) vinyl LP....CD was quieter but I missed the richness of the vinyl.

I seem to have a date of March 3rd 1983 in my head as to when CD players became available in the shops in the UK.... If I'm wrong then I'm sure a fellow fishie will soon let me know!
I recall going with a friend and his parents to J.G Windows of Newcastle on this day and advising them on the purchase (was a hifi nut even at that age!) of a Marantz CD63 (same as the Philips CD100). We thought it sounded good but a bit edgy and wondered whether it would catch on or just fizzle out :D

advertisement

Back