advertisement

Hans Abrahamsen

PsB

Citizen of Nowhere™
I have been really enjoying some of his recent work, in particular this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Abrahamsen-Let-me-tell-you/dp/B017753IDQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

or shorter extract:

let me tell you is a piece for soprano and full orchestra, based on a libretto by Paul Griffiths which takes the words said by Ophelia in Hamlet and re-arranges them in a different order. The music is hauntingly beautiful in a slightly cold way. Created by and dedicated to Barbara Hannigan (my favourite Canadian singer), it shows that contemporary classical music is alive and kicking.

Talking of kicking: Ms Hannigan is the gifted musician who gave us this gem (an excerpt from Ligeti's Grand Macabre), where she sings, conducts, and dances in a dominatrix outfit:
[YOUTUBE]sFFpzip-SZk[/YOUTUBE]
Just singing this stuff is pretty hard, so doing it all the way she does is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm sure I posted about Let Me Tell You a couple of years ago when the recording was released on vinyl... its quite a strong piece but it doesn't grab it opportunities for big moments which I would quite like!

Her recordingof Dutilleux's Correspondances is worth seeking out.

Barbara Hannigan is an amazing performer, and a very capable conductor in normal dress too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm sure I posted about Let Me Tell You a couple of years ago when the recording was released on vinyl... its quite a strong piece but it doesn't grab it opportunities for big moments which I would quite like!

Her recordingof Dutilleux's Correspondances is worth seeking out.

I thought I had posted a note here after buying the CD last year, but a quick search showed nothing.

I have that recording of Correspondances twice (result of not being able to resist box sets) so will donate to any interested fishy.

advertisement

Back