advertisement

Half width CD player into DAC

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.
I’m doing some listening this afternoon. My immediate impressions are that as a transport into the Yamaha’s Sabre Dac the Rotel presents a sound that is cleaner and less forward in presentation.The instruments drop back into the soundstage. Voices have improved delineation. There is a little more transparency and depth to the soundstage.Now, these differences may be less obvious when the two are level matched as I suspect there will be output differences.I’m using my trusty Chesky test disc. Now, which am I preferring?

I’m doing some listening this afternoon. My immediate impressions are that as a transport into the Yamaha’s Sabre Dac the Rotel presents a sound that is cleaner and less forward in presentation.The instruments drop back into the soundstage. Voices have improved delineation. There is a little more transparency and depth to the soundstage.Now, these differences may be less obvious when the two are level matched as I suspect there will be output differences.I’m using my trusty Chesky test disc. Now, which am I preferring?
Interesting. I’m listening to a female vocal. With the standalone Rotel the sound is likeable. There appears to be a richer resonance around the vocal which I would describe as a slight thickening, softening.I suppose this could be described as weight.As a transport the sound is slightly less rich but a little more natural? I may be hearing differences in output. Needs further work!

advertisement

Back